PODCAST: Quarterly Review ft. D$ and Coach Duasso

View as article
Advertisement
I think We try to run in the redzone and try to pound it in but are not as effective which takes up a few downs down there in the redzone. Yeah we run well and throw well from the 20 to 20 yard line but we slow down in terms of effectiveness running the ball in the redzone. Need to get a little less conservative near the goal line and start taking more shots throwing in the redzone to score tds

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think We try to run in the redzone and try to pound it in but are not as effective which takes up a few downs down there in the redzone. Yeah we run well and throw well from the 20 to 20 yard line but we slow down in terms of effectiveness running the ball in the redzone. Need to get a little less conservative near the goal line and start taking more shots throwing in the redzone to score tds
It’s almost like Enos is allergic to fade routes In the red zone. how big of a ******* mismatch would Mallory be on a fade in the end zone. Smh

Advertisement
It’s almost like Enos is allergic to fade routes In the red zone. how big of a ******* mismatch would Mallory be on a fade in the end zone. Smh

Yes for real. And I know he hasn't done anything in his UM career up to date, but why can't 6'6 lanky Evidence Njoku do this? I know he's learning a new position, but can Stubblefield not take him aside one practice and teach him how to run a proper fade? Sometimes it feels like coaches overcomplicate things, just fcking lob it to the tall guy

"The fade is one of the lowest-probability plays a team can run in the red zone; there are just too many variables that have to click for it to work."

Advertisement
"The fade is one of the lowest-probability plays a team can run in the red zone; there are just too many variables that have to click for it to work."

I'm not saying run it every time. In fact you don't even have to run it, sometimes just by putting two big guys out wide the defense will be scrambling to adjust. But the fact that we haven't attempted to utilize our receiver's size while enduring some red zone struggles is not smart.

I understand there are moving parts to it, but if you put a 6'6 wide receiver to try to catch a jump ball over a 6'0 corner, I promise you the offense has the advantage on that play

Advertisement
I'm not saying run it every time. In fact you don't even have to run it, sometimes just by putting two big guys out wide the defense will be scrambling to adjust. But the fact that we haven't attempted to utilize our receiver's size while enduring some red zone struggles is not smart.

I understand there are moving parts to it, but if you put a 6'6 wide receiver to try to catch a jump ball over a 6'0 corner, I promise you the offense has the advantage on that play
Yup. I want to see Njoku out there jumping over people to snag jump balls. His catch radius and leaping ability makes him a weapon. Maybe one day we will see him used in that manner.

You stole my theme. Fade passes in that range are worthless. I have emphasized that here and elsewhere. Anyone who has studied nationwide results over many years knows that immediately.

I immediately laugh at any coordinator who relies on fade passes. I have no respect for them at all. It basically means they can't think of anything else. Total cop out play, as opposed to designing something over the middle.

High marks to Enos for avoiding that play.

Fade passes in the red zone are like third down screen passes. Yes, they can work. They might work against Central Michigan. But you are doing yourself a huge disservice if you start relying on that type of thing. Once you reach higher levels of opposition they will snuff out those plays and wipe them out. That's why you always want your players utilizing a strategy that can be applied to any opponent.

Great quarterbacks can execute a fade. I think that's why so many fans fall in love with that crap. They see the Patriots design it and save it for the perfect situation, with Brady lofting it perfectly. Then somehow fans want to ignore all the probability charts, the ones that reveal what a stupid play it is.

I think those overmatched coordinators call fades partially because they know they won't be criticized for it. Fades don't own the reputation they deserve.

Mallory caught a fade route for a TD in the UNC game.

I second your notion. Mallory, also, had three crucial drops in the Florida game. And they were all in the RED ZONE! I'm thinking the kid suffers from a case of Butterfinger-itis. dUh

And when we do run rear the goal line we should be doing it out of a spread formation. Trying to run out of that power formation on short yardage didn’t even work vs Bethune....

Advertisement
Back