PODCAST: D$ and Lance Roffers break down new DC, Lance Guidry

Advertisement
Thoroughly enjoyed the podcast. Simply put, Coach Giudry has proven himself to be a successful DC at the G5 level....now it's time to see if he can replicate that success in P5 football.

To me, biggest indicator that he's up for it is the Notre Dame game coupled with the fact that his OFF didn't give much help at all. So this DEF was able to get stop after stop after stop etc enroute to a 9 win season.

I'm on the Guidry train...let's ride!
35266C70-42EA-4626-999F-AF86CE865C79.gif

We can kinda get into this game where we compare and manipulate stats to fit narratives but that one speaks for itself in my opinion. Very cool stuff and it just reinforces the “why” with how bad we were.

Also another aspect I found interesting is the discussion about Marshall using 2 down lineman and standing up the ends.

It’s deeper than just being different or innovative. He was going that to make up for what Marshall lacked. They beat Notre Dame in part because he said we can’t just line up and beat them so let’s see how I can scheme my way around this and give us a chance.

I have no clue why that’s such a visionary approach but we saw NONE of that last year on either side of the ball. Really fun stuff to listen to.

an actual point of fact, there is NOTHING "different or innovative" in football. Show me an offensive or defensive scheme or concept, I will give you a history lesson about from where it originated 30 years ago, (or more).

as an example, standing up the D-ends, that was a common technique in the 80's among college defenses, especially smaller schools, that saw a lot of option and wishbone offenses in their conferences and divisions. It was a 40 Front that allowed the ends good visibility into the backfield and mesh points for reading their option keys. now? with so much read/option and RPO, some DC's (like Guidry) are having ends play that 2 point stance to capture some of the same advantages.

we used to play this game in the coaches offices back in the day, whenever we would see something "new" or whenever an NFL or College coach was labeled a genius. put the tape in, and dissect how it was just a derivative (or sometimes a pure copy) of something that was done years before you ever got there.

anybody who wants to play this game, i'll be lionel ritchie playing it all night long!

he's a stats and "patterns in the data" geek, i'm sure @Lance Roffers would agree :)

Advertisement
Exceptional podcast. I posted on another thread I didn't want to see Steele or Strong go. But I am 100% on board with this hire. You can't argue with anything Guidry brings to the table. I love the aggression without Manny's "cuteness". The simulated pressure looks are awesome, seeing them in pros as much as college now. And the personnel alignment is very good. Really looking forward to seeing LT, Chase and JW thrive.

Now we need a couple months of strong portalling to get this defense humming.

Advertisement
Excellent breakdown. Enjoyed watching that. Job well done and thank you!

Just for reference on the ND discussion, Tyler Buchner was ND’s starting QB this year. He started and played in the majority of the Marshall game. He got injured in the 4th quarter and was replaced by Pyne. Buchner is a significantly better passer and runner than Pyne. Buchner did not return until the bowl game and ND had nearly 560 yards in that game.

I mention it only because it makes what Marshall did in that game even more impressive. I was at the game and was very impressed with the Marshall defense, which is absurdly small but was making huge plays all over the field. This is a fantastic hire in my amateur opinion.

Excellent breakdown. Enjoyed watching that. Job well done and thank you!

Just for reference on the ND discussion, Tyler Buchner was ND’s starting QB this year. He started and played in the majority of the Marshall game. He got injured in the 4th quarter and was replaced by Pyne. Buchner is a significantly better passer and runner than Pyne. Buchner did not return until the bowl game and ND had nearly 560 yards in that game.

I mention it only because it makes what Marshall did in that game even more impressive. I was at the game and was very impressed with the Marshall defense, which is absurdly small but was making huge plays all over the field. This is a fantastic hire in my amateur opinion.
Thanks for the information. I pride myself on being prepared and thorough on things like this, but wasn’t aware how long the QB was out.

Strongly believe he’s a large upgrade on Steele.

Thanks for the information. I pride myself on being prepared and thorough on things like this, but wasn’t aware how long the QB was out.

Strongly believe he’s a large upgrade on Steele.
You most definitely come across as prepared, thorough, and very knowledgeable. It was an outstanding watch and I appreciate you breaking things down for us.

Advertisement
I love me some quarters. Great against the run. Turns your deep safeties into primary run defenders. Quarters is kind of a misleading term.

I would think of is as “Read #2”. I liken it to pattern match man coverage. Its very efficient at making use of alignment leverage. Also helps you be sound with run fits.

When I coached DBs I spent a ton of time teaching alignment concepts so our lesser athletes would be in the best position possible based on formation, personnel grouping and situation.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back