Please tell me Lashlee was holding back

Holding back is smart. For example, UAB held back and deployed a defensive scheme UM wasnt prepared for. Actually kept them in the game for 3 quarters. If they had a better QB, maybe they win that game.

If the other team has no idea what we'll do, they may prepare for something we dont even run, giving us the advantage until they adjust. IF they adjust.

Did the staff say this?

Advertisement
C'mon on man. Stop with the "holding back" shiggity. We play 10-12 games a year, why would we hold anything back. Just stop it already.
Breaking in a new offensive system takes some time to install, get your guys comfortable executing. When you play a team you should beat easily - go out and beat them with as few a plays as possible, because Louisville and FSU are going to be a lot tougher, so don't provide them as much of the playbook to scheme. I had a coach in HS who went on to be a 2-time NCAA Coach of the year that would run a play until you stopped it.

Your assuming that Lashlee had total control of the offense at SMU like he does here. Usually an offensive coordinator under a defensive head coach will have more control than he would under a offensive head coach. (Probably part of the reason Lashlee came here). I'm sure Dykes being an offensive coach had more input than Manny will.

:monkey-serious:

Diaz said they were very vanilla and simple by design vs UAB in his interview today
As always, good word choice by him as the politician’s son.

By design because that was the gameplan?

By design to conceal aspects of our offense?

By design because we haven’t installed the whole offense?

By design because we’re just not good at other stuff?

Manny is king of interview hedging and vagueness. That still doesn’t really tell us much unless there was context surrounding that statement? Haven’t listened so there very well could have been, but that statement isolated could mean many things.

Hoping it’s not the latter.

Advertisement
We scored on the next two drives, both seven plays, and we threw the ball three of those seven plays on each drive. My belief is they were committed to the run to instill some toughness and physicalness. Something we've been lacking on offense for quite some time. When the game got tight in the 3rd, Lashlee opened up the offense and we scored two touchdowns.
And low and behold, Diaz interview this morning confirms my thought. It was very obvious to me what was going on. Completely different play calling when the game got tight early in the 3rd. King was 5-6 for 72 yards with a TD toss on those two drives.

As always, good word choice by him as the politician’s son.

By design because that was the gameplan?

By design to conceal aspects of our offense?

By design because we haven’t installed the whole offense?

By design because we’re just not good at other stuff?

Manny is king of interview hedging and vagueness. That still doesn’t really tell us much unless there was context surrounding that statement? Haven’t listened so there very well could have been, but that statement isolated could mean many things.

Hoping it’s not the latter.
By design because they just wanted to see how it was to kick another team’s ***. Who hears that we were vanilla in our first game against a OOC G5 team and is skeptical. The only P5 teams opening up the playbook are ones who are in danger of losing.

I find it hard to believe in a 17-14 game in the 3rd quarter Lashlee was holding back. Usually you open up a lead then sit on it.
If we’re being honest he did open up a little when the game was close but let’s be honest. If you’re playing against a team you can line up against and beat by just being more athletic then is there a real need to go deep in the playbook Week1 right before playing an ACC opponent the following week?

I HOPE HE WAS HOLDING BACK BC WE WERE THE ONLY GAME ON Thursday NIGHT. I don't want everyone in my koolaid so yeah If he did the man got plenty of sense. Let that thing be vanilla until we get to Clemson. I didn't watch Clemson play but lookin gat the highlights we need to make sure the offense is clickin and the line can block. it will be a long day if we cant do this. And watch out for them when they go to Ivey over and over again. He will either hurt us in the long run or we will be stupid and not replace him with someone else.

Advertisement
Because apparently Diaz is our Offensive Coordinator.

Great post dude.
He’s the HC. Plus, Defense couldn’t make key stops against a ****** FIU team when the Offense finally started producing but you don’t want to go there.

If our OC decided not to take the offense that got him the job in return for a different ****tier one again we’re ****ed. That offense didn’t look like the Auburn power run though. It looked like the running game he used last year just wayy more often. Almost to make a point
What game were you watching? Look back at the 2013-14 Auburn games(on youtube). I have and the osimilarities were obvious. Will King pull and keep more on read-option, sure he will. Will there be quick passes to the boundary off the read-option( miss TD pass to payton). Continue to pound away and take your deep shots. There was a reason you more about the backs in camp and very lilttle from your TE & WR groups.

Mallory told us he learned the playbook in 2 days, i believe. Lashlee said he wants to keep it simple so the players dont have to think as much and can play faster. Manny is not bringing in a air-raid OC, sorry. Get ready for those 50+ rushes/20+ passes per game. Lashlee has not led anyone on to believe his offense will throw it all over the field. Interviews have implied that he wants to run the rock but use the spread formation with fast tempo. Fight it or see it how you want to. This board is going to explode after the L'ville game. Did you see the other good teams holding back bcuz there was no spring; negative. He ran the power-spread; however, the fans were led to believe we were getting an explosion. Wrong
It is what it is; we gotta fight with what we got.

Advertisement
What game were you watching? Look back at the 2013-14 Auburn games(on youtube). I have and the osimilarities were obvious. Will King pull and keep more on read-option, sure he will. Will there be quick passes to the boundary off the read-option( miss TD pass to payton). Continue to pound away and take your deep shots. There was a reason you more about the backs in camp and very lilttle from your TE & WR groups.

Mallory told us he learned the playbook in 2 days, i believe. Lashlee said he wants to keep it simple so the players dont have to think as much and can play faster. Manny is not bringing in a air-raid OC, sorry. Get ready for those 50+ rushes/20+ passes per game. Lashlee has not led anyone on to believe his offense will throw it all over the field. Interviews have implied that he wants to run the rock but use the spread formation with fast tempo. Fight it or see it how you want to. This board is going to explode after the L'ville game. Did you see the other good teams holding back bcuz there was no spring; negative. He ran the power-spread; however, the fans were led to believe we were getting an explosion. Wrong
It is what it is; we gotta fight with what we got.
Disagree. Auburn used tons of different formations, motions and mixed in a lot of misdirect. The Jet motion was a huge part of those Aubrun offenses, which are really a derivative of the wing T. Ya we ran read option, but other than that I probably wouldn't be able to link the two offenses together.

I don't think "holding back" is the correct description. More than likely, the playbook was limited to the few plays we could execute best.
I'd agree.. Think with missing most of spring, we just haven't implemented as much as he was expecting to by now... Would hope game by game we're adding plays, so that there's always a level of surprise for opposing D's.

I posted this in this thread days ago.... we ran 6 plays. Literally 6 plays. That’s all that anyone needs to know. Am I the only one who watched the game 🤔😂🙌

Advertisement
we held back, i already told you Manny said as much as Bagel Emporium on Saturday. He said it again on today's WQAM show with Joe Rose. When we turned on the switch, we scored twice back to back quickly
7 Plays 71 yards in 217
7 Plays 72 yards in 245

both had multiple passes on first down.

With Hurry up offenses there are less plays to remember. set plays will change week to week.

Offense will very week to week based on the team strengths and matchups we have over other teams.

Not going to matter what offense is run against Clemson. Their players are better than our players this year.

Need more time to install full offensive system. TVD will have more control in a couple of years of practice and thus the offense will look a little different than Kings offense this year.

Rhett said UAB played a defense they wasn't prepared for, yes.

He isn’t new to UAB as their DC.

I’m going with Miami was somewhat unprepared or certain players were lacking in either their own prep or just slow to recognize what they had already seen in film.

Advertisement
Back