Please, please find a kicker. This is pathetic

Agree, was saying that at the game. Line it up slightly left of middle and let Bubba try. Bubba blasts everything to the right but at least he has the leg. Only problem with this is the coaches don’t even understand that.
Its like we don’t have a special teams coach, oh ya we don’t

Agreed, Baxa has to be the kicker. He is in a mental slump and his alignment is poor. He should be standing at least a half foot further right on those kicks from the right hashmark. But there is no question Baxa is a college caliber kicker. The other kid should be amusement purposes at practice only.

I don't care about a lot of the criticism of Diaz. The administration isn't going to evaluate any coach after 6 or 7 games. I'd just like to see fundamentally sound decision making. When we start the game with a 3rd down screen pass from our own 9 yard line, and somehow Diaz ever considers the junior high kid should actually be attempting meaningful field goals in an actual game, then there is simply too much thinking going on.

Davidson was literally practicing 10 yard field goals at halftime. I am not kidding. Not from the 10 yard line. He was kicking from the goal line.

Diaz also screwed up at the end of the game by not running the clock down and kicking from the chosen angle with a few seconds remaining. Don't overreact to the prior misses. That's what everybody else in the stadium is doing. A head coach should be above that. Diaz should have approached yesterday's game as if it were the season opener. In that case there is no question he would have run the clock all the way down to nothing and had Perry kneel down near the center on the prior play, before sending Baxa out there.

You are still a massive favorite to make a kick of that length, no matter what happened previously. When Diaz is throwing into the end zone while leaving 30 seconds on the clock and then sending the junior high kicker out there, he is prioritizing everything he should be ignoring.

It is surreal how bad the special teams coaches are in college football. One basic error after another. The former Dolphins special teams coach Darren Rizzi (now with Saints) could fix Baxa's alignment issues within one practice. Baxa is like a golfer who needs alignment rods on the ground.

Advertisement
Agreed, Baxa has to be the kicker. He is in a mental slump and his alignment is poor. He should be standing at least a half foot further right on those kicks from the right hashmark. But there is no question Baxa is a college caliber kicker. The other kid should be amusement purposes at practice only.

I don't care about a lot of the criticism of Diaz. The administration isn't going to evaluate any coach after 6 or 7 games. I'd just like to see fundamentally sound decision making. When we start the game with a 3rd down screen pass from our own 9 yard line, and somehow Diaz ever considers the junior high kid should actually be attempting meaningful field goals in an actual game, then there is simply too much thinking going on.

Davidson was literally practicing 10 yard field goals at halftime. I am not kidding. Not from the 10 yard line. He was kicking from the goal line.

Diaz also screwed up at the end of the game by not running the clock down and kicking from the chosen angle with a few seconds remaining. Don't overreact to the prior misses. That's what everybody else in the stadium is doing. A head coach should be above that. Diaz should have approached yesterday's game as if it were the season opener. In that case there is no question he would have run the clock all the way down to nothing and had Perry kneel down near the center on the prior play, before sending Baxa out there.

You are still a massive favorite to make a kick of that length, no matter what happened previously. When Diaz is throwing into the end zone while leaving 30 seconds on the clock and then sending the junior high kicker out there, he is prioritizing everything he should be ignoring.

It is surreal how bad the special teams coaches are in college football. One basic error after another. The former Dolphins special teams coach Darren Rizzi (now with Saints) could fix Baxa's alignment issues within one practice. Baxa is like a golfer who needs alignment rods on the ground.
All of this! Baxa has a leg but sucks at angles. So understand what you have and give kicker his best chance. He kicks from middle wins game and confidence gets a boost. Now the season is over

Yeah, man, missing 3 chip shots in one game is cool. And chip shots vs. UNC, UiF, and Bethune. Totally normal for college football to be 6/13 on FGs. Everyone is doing it!

I really think people are underplaying the impact the kicking game has on this season. It's a complete F. Yes, other areas are Cs, but with a B+ kicking game nobody cares as the team is leading the Coastal and everyone loves Manny.

What I find pathetic is that for us the difference between winning and losing to TERRIBLE teams is a kicker.
Shouldn't have to come down to a kicker when you play terrible teams.

All of this! Baxa has a leg but sucks at angles. So understand what you have and give kicker his best chance. He kicks from middle wins game and confidence gets a boost. Now the season is over
In all fairness he has missed PATs from dead center too.

Advertisement
What I find pathetic is that for us the difference between winning and losing to TERRIBLE teams is a kicker.

This right here.

You’re an 18 point favorite at home playing a team that is enduring a nightmare rebuilding season. The missed field goals are pathetic, but how did it ever come down to that in the first place?

Theres no way Hedley can do worse. Rugby goal posts are narrow and they kick extra points from extreme angles. Give it a shot.

Advertisement
Imo, the kicker is one of the more deadly weapons in football. He can add 6 to 12 points to the board per game, without a TD. He rewards the defense with points off a TO, he's the fail safe for the O... if Miami had solid dependable kicking, they'd be leading the Coastal imo. That said, this staff doesnt have the kid ready physically or mentally. You have to want to kick it, it should be fun, this kid wants to be as far away as possible.

I’d honestly be surprised if baxa doesn’t retire like feagles at the end of the year. He looks petrified every time you see him.

Diaz needs to hold an open try out. I guarantee there is a kid drinking white claw at the tailgates every week that could hit at least 50% of these missed fgs.

Completely disagree with that philosophy. Given the situation, Manny absolutely made the right call to take a shot for the endzone on 3rd down. Inside the 12yd line, the entire GT defense was within 5-7 yards of the LOS all three downs. The two previous plays were inside runs that were stopped for 1 & 2yds, forcing GT to burn their final timeout. Both of your kickers had missed chipshot FGs that same day and proven to be unreliable even on PATs in previous games. Osborn/Jordan/ Harley have proven themselves reliable when targeted & Perry made a decent throw on the double move but the defender stayed disciplined in coverage. If it connects you're a genius, if not FG attempt.

The game is also tied. So if worst comes to worst and the kicker misses again, the GT offense has to march 80yds in under 30 secs to score in regulation, without timeouts. Which given the odds of accomplishing they probably wouldn't even try but instead just take a knee or run the clock out to play for OT where their chances are better.

The kicker then proves the decision to take a shot correct by kicking it so low that it was blocked. Only 40+ yard long FGs should have a low trajectory in order to carry the distance.

Pressure bursts pipes & Pressure creates diamonds. They looked good in practice & warm-ups but some guys just aren't gamers.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back