Players leaving

hiphopanimal

Freshman
What is with our players and leaving early for the NFL stupidly or transferring to another college and not really getting anywhere?

I can think of so many who just got out of town when it was completely logical to come back for another year or to stick around at a position of need.

Kaaya
Yearby
Tommy Streeter
Brandon Washington

Courtel Jenkins
Antonio Crawford

Have I missed anyone?

Do other colleges see such misguided declarations for the NFL?

Advertisement
These kid start listening to wanna be agents telling them how great they are and going to be. Everybody ends up losing.
I'm sure there are other schools who have the same issue.

man streeter leaving early was the worst smh, I believe Graig Cooper left early too, after blowing out a knee.

Advertisement
Not a Miami thing, a college football thing. Going to be really honest. A lot of football players come from nothing. And I mean nothing. Government assistance, public housing. If they are able be drafted at all and get a 100k+ signing bonus, a lot of them will take it. You can't blame them. I'd do the same

This happens at basically every big school. Since we don't pay attention and follow other schools we don't notice it.

You also have to look at the NFL rookie salary scale as major driving force. You can see in the picture below....there is very little difference between being a 3rd round pick and a 7th round pick. If you are not going to improve yourself to get into the 2nd round or earlier....most guys feel they are better off getting their service years started and getting to the 2nd contract quicker and a shot to make real money.

nfl.jpg

Mark Richt mentioned this earlier in the season, becoming harder and harder to get kids to stay 4 years

Selfishly, I hope RJ and Norton (and D. Jackson for that matter) stick around for next year, but realistically, I believe they all declare.

On the offense side, I think we're in bit of a better position for next year (as far as returning starters go).

Advertisement
I'm sure FSU would like to have Trav Rudolph (undrafted) and Rowdy Roddy Johnson (5th round).

Last edited:
This happens at basically every big school. Since we don't pay attention and follow other schools we don't notice it.

You also have to look at the NFL rookie salary scale as major driving force. You can see in the picture below....there is very little difference between being a 3rd round pick and a 7th round pick. If you are not going to improve yourself to get into the 2nd round or earlier....most guys feel they are better off getting their service years started and getting to the 2nd contract quicker and a shot to make real money.

View attachment 52095

Monkey,

1. You should post more here.

2. That graph is a little deceiving in my opinion unless you can see it up close.

There actually is a decent difference in value, especially signing bonus and guarantees, when you get drafted in the 3rd round v. 7th round.

2016 NFL Draft (Years / Total Value / Signing Bonus / 2017 CAP) []2017 NFL Draft Tracker | Spotrac

Third Round, First Pick: Larry Ogunjobi 4 $3,907,264 $981,564 $710,391

Fourth Round, First Pick: Vince Biegel 4 $3,093,743 $693,743 $521,435

Fifth Round, First Pick: Jake Butt 4 $2,700,938 $300,938 $423,234

Sixth Round, First Pick: Caleb Brantley 4 $2,579,975 $179,975 $509,993

Seventh Round, First Pick: Stacy Coley 4 $2,496,680 $96,680 $489,170

As you can see, the difference in signing bonus is ~$900K (guaranteed). The difference in total contract value is ~$1.4MM. Those are real numbers and they matter.

View attachment 52095

Most interesting chart. Additionally, if a player makes the practice squad, reportedly he earns ~$110,000 for the season.

Advertisement
There's a huge difference between being a third rounder and a seventh rounder. Do you want a million dollar signing bonus (guaranteed money) or a hundred thousand dollar signing bonus. When most players don't make it to the second contract, that's something that needs to be weighed more heavily by players contemplating leaving early.

Not a Miami thing, a college football thing. Going to be really honest. A lot of football players come from nothing. And I mean nothing. Government assistance, public housing. If they are able be drafted at all and get a 100k+ signing bonus, a lot of them will take it. You can't blame them. I'd do the same

Obviously this is a key point - not that I was unaware of this but my thinking is that maybe that extra year enhances your draft stock. But then again, I have not been in the position of many of these student athletes and their own socio-economic backgrounds.

It's frustrating sometimes beyond being a fan - I want these guys to get paid. If not getting paid, they could at least get their degree and use that.

Selfishly, I hope RJ and Norton (and D. Jackson for that matter) stick around for next year, but realistically, I believe they all declare.

On the offense side, I think we're in bit of a better position for next year (as far as returning starters go).

I recently got a call from D. Jackson's girlfriend. She was getting donations for the alumni fund. She mentioned Demetrius Jackson does intend to stay for a 5th year. Take it for what its worth, since Angela Kaaya also said Brad would stay to complete his degree a year before he left.

Advertisement
I am not totally against paying players but in terms of value provided by universities to players, I would say a free year of schooling, medical care, and the ability to improve my earnings a year out by $1m+ is a pretty good deal.

Agents don’t show them those statistics. Only the ones about them getting paid and getting injured. Neither of which are guaranteed.

View attachment 52095

Monkey,

2. That graph is a little deceiving in my opinion unless you can see it up close.

There actually is a decent difference in value, especially signing bonus and guarantees, when you get drafted in the 3rd round v. 7th round.

2016 NFL Draft (Years / Total Value / Signing Bonus / 2017 CAP) []2017 NFL Draft Tracker | Spotrac

As you can see, the difference in signing bonus is ~$900K (guaranteed). The difference in total contract value is ~$1.4MM. Those are real numbers and they matter.

The signing bonus is the real difference, $1 mm guaranteed is nice. However, agents and family pressure can make you only see the $4mm versus $2.5 mm and make a bet on yourself to make it through the contract, no matter the odds.

View attachment 52095

Monkey,

I don't post much at all anymore, anywhere.

That is fair point....that is real money. For you and me, there is a big difference between $2.5 and $3.9 million over 4 years....I don't know if an NFL drafted rookie looks at it the same.

Do you believe the mentality of most players is that I am going to only be in the league 4 years so I better max my rookie contract(which is most realistic considering average NFL lifespan is less than 4 years) or do they think they are going to play for 10 years, so they need to get to that 2nd contract quickly....either way after taxes, dues, agent fees etc.....that rookie contract is far from forever money unless you are at top of the draft. Unfortunately, I lean towards youth believing they are invincible and will play forever.

The disparity in the public perception versus the reality of NFL players finances is really interesting.

Advertisement
Back