Players leaving

Realistically, while retaining players who are potential early-leavers would benefit the college football programs, not so sure what it does for the players. As Woody Hayes once said about the passing game: three things can happen, and two are bad. Yes, they could enhance their draft stock but ... could also lose ground in the pro scouts' eyes, or be injured.

Advertisement
what happened to that big O linemen that transferred to ucla? i cant think of his name

edit- malcolm bunche

Last edited:
It happens everywhere. Once you realize these kids are just that, kids, and not some robot that you control on a NCAA EA sports video game, your outlook might change a little

I dont get why people get upset at guys leaving to make money, and staying an extra year isnt going to turn someone from **** into pudding. Everyone used the Al Golden excuse (but it was recruiting) and then that certain player who left us for the nfl was still the same guy even with nfl coaching.

Advertisement
Joe Yearby was one of the worst situations I've ever seen with a kid leaving early.

At best it was a last day pick and then winds up going undrafted. Was losing carries to Gus Edwards end of last year and he thought he was NFL-ready? Sad.

Joe Yearby was one of the worst situations I've ever seen with a kid leaving early.

At best it was a last day pick and then winds up going undrafted. Was losing carries to Gus Edwards end of last year and he thought he was NFL-ready? Sad.

And he would be playing a big role this year.

What is he up to now?

Not a Miami thing, a college football thing. Going to be really honest. A lot of football players come from nothing. And I mean nothing. Government assistance, public housing. If they are able be drafted at all and get a 100k+ signing bonus, a lot of them will take it. You can't blame them. I'd do the same

If I'm Walton I'm declaring for the draft after this season. I'd rather get 6 figures to be on a roster than play for free And risk another injury.

Yearby has a job now, he can support his kids.

Advertisement
I am not totally against paying players but in terms of value provided by universities to players, I would say a free year of schooling, medical care, and the ability to improve my earnings a year out by $1m+ is a pretty good deal.
But it’s not a good deal. Any term other than money is a sucker’s deal.

I have no problem with any kid leaving after three years, whether they’re ready or not. I also don’t worry too much about if they don’t make it if they leave early because MOST would not benefit from an extra year (Leinhart...). Finding out they’re not good enough is exactly what most recreation kids have to learn, what most high school kids have to learn and what most college kids have to learn. They just happen to be one of those kids this time.

If I had a choice to come back for a National Championship or make some money, I’m going for the money and it’s exactly what I would counsel to a kid.

Lastly, for those who play even one year, $2.5MM goes a long way (well, it should, 30 fo 30 “Broke” cautionary tales not included). It’s about 15 years worth of salary for the BEST undergrads in their class at Miami.

School’s not for everyone, but money is.

I talked to Brandon Washington after he went pro... He told me Golden told him and a few others to leave... So they left

Yearby has a job now, he can support his kids.

Oh yeah? How much do you think a HS assistant coach with no degree makes? $16-18k per year? I can't feed my fat *** on that. Much less a family. I loved Yearby. He played a lot like Homer even though he may not have been as gifted. He would always fight for that extra yardage. He always got that first down. He could have come back and contributed this year, and simply due to experience would probably be hauling the mail for us right now.

He made a foolish decision. I feel for him, though if he had no other choice but to roll the dice.

I don't post much at all anymore, anywhere.

That is fair point....that is real money. For you and me, there is a big difference between $2.5 and $3.9 million over 4 years....I don't know if an NFL drafted rookie looks at it the same.

Do you believe the mentality of most players is that I am going to only be in the league 4 years so I better max my rookie contract(which is most realistic considering average NFL lifespan is less than 4 years) or do they think they are going to play for 10 years, so they need to get to that 2nd contract quickly....either way after taxes, dues, agent fees etc.....that rookie contract is far from forever money unless you are at top of the draft. Unfortunately, I lean towards youth believing they are invincible and will play forever.

The disparity in the public perception versus the reality of NFL players finances is really interesting.

You should be posting here, when you choose to post.

I honestly don't know what players to be drafted are thinking. With that said, I don't think they're thinking logically or always in their best interest.

Advertisement

I have no idea why he was losing carries to Gus Edwards. That still makes no sense.

What is with our players and leaving early for the NFL stupidly or transferring to another college and not really getting anywhere?

I can think of so many who just got out of town when it was completely logical to come back for another year or to stick around at a position of need.

Kaaya
Yearby
Tommy Streeter
Brandon Washington

Courtel Jenkins
Antonio Crawford

Have I missed anyone?

Do other colleges see such misguided declarations for the NFL?

It is part of the football landscape not just at UM but, as others noted, at most big-time
programs.
It is what it is, especially when you recruit so-called blue-chippers.
Which is why it is dumb to redshirt many of these kids as many suggest, when they come in as freshmen.
If they even contribute 10 plays during a game, then play them.
Only redshirt the kids who need alot of work in the weight-room.

I'd be curious to see the percentage of rookies who makes the 53 man roster by round. My expectation is that 3rd round kids have twice as great a chance of making the roster as 6th round kids. Even if a college athlete with remaining eligibility is attracted by potential large sums of money, how many late rounders or UFAs like Kaaya and Yearby actually make that money? Flowers, Njoku, Duke and Burns, different story.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This happens at basically every big school. Since we don't pay attention and follow other schools we don't notice it.

You also have to look at the NFL rookie salary scale as major driving force. You can see in the picture below....there is very little difference between being a 3rd round pick and a 7th round pick. If you are not going to improve yourself to get into the 2nd round or earlier....most guys feel they are better off getting their service years started and getting to the 2nd contract quicker and a shot to make real money.

View attachment 52095

Monkey,

1. You should post more here.

2. That graph is a little deceiving in my opinion unless you can see it up close.

There actually is a decent difference in value, especially signing bonus and guarantees, when you get drafted in the 3rd round v. 7th round.

2016 NFL Draft (Years / Total Value / Signing Bonus / 2017 CAP) []2017 NFL Draft Tracker | Spotrac

Third Round, First Pick: Larry Ogunjobi 4 $3,907,264 $981,564 $710,391

Fourth Round, First Pick: Vince Biegel 4 $3,093,743 $693,743 $521,435

Fifth Round, First Pick: Jake Butt 4 $2,700,938 $300,938 $423,234

Sixth Round, First Pick: Caleb Brantley 4 $2,579,975 $179,975 $509,993

Seventh Round, First Pick: Stacy Coley 4 $2,496,680 $96,680 $489,170

As you can see, the difference in signing bonus is ~$900K (guaranteed). The difference in total contract value is ~$1.4MM. Those are real numbers and they matter.

Too many numbers.

I am not totally against paying players but in terms of value provided by universities to players, I would say a free year of schooling, medical care, and the ability to improve my earnings a year out by $1m+ is a pretty good deal.
But it’s not a good deal. Any term other than money is a sucker’s deal.

I have no problem with any kid leaving after three years, whether they’re ready or not. I also don’t worry too much about if they don’t make it if they leave early because MOST would not benefit from an extra year (Leinhart...). Finding out they’re not good enough is exactly what most recreation kids have to learn, what most high school kids have to learn and what most college kids have to learn. They just happen to be one of those kids this time.

If I had a choice to come back for a National Championship or make some money, I’m going for the money and it’s exactly what I would counsel to a kid.

Lastly, for those who play even one year, $2.5MM goes a long way (well, it should, 30 fo 30 “Broke” cautionary tales not included). It’s about 15 years worth of salary for the BEST undergrads in their class at Miami.

School’s not for everyone, but money is.

Yeah. You're right. Some find out early that they're not good enough. I found out by 7th grade that I was not NFL material.

Advertisement
Back