Players leaving early

There is literally hundreds of historical data points and examples that show a player can in fact improve their stock in their senior year.

The problem with these guys are that they give the time of day to these early mock drafts and actually think they hold weight.

Taylor could've done himself a huge favor by returning. Ppl thought he was going to be a first round pick bc the mock drafts had him there.

Not a single GM in the country, except for like someone with the intellect to select Tim Tebow in the 1st, was ever going to select Taylor in the first after the production he put out this season.

To you point though, I do agree Cohen and Lee were maxed out.

Kinchens, for as productive as he's been, had issues he could've came back and worked on.

Taylor and Williams made horrible decisions to leave, as it pertains to where they will be drafted. They could've immensely improved their stock.
This all makes sense and validate point. However, if you think back to the in-game scare with Kichen
There is literally hundreds of historical data points and examples that show a player can in fact improve their stock in their senior year.

The problem with these guys are that they give the time of day to these early mock drafts and actually think they hold weight.

Taylor could've done himself a huge favor by returning. Ppl thought he was going to be a first round pick bc the mock drafts had him there.

Not a single GM in the country, except for like someone with the intellect to select Tim Tebow in the 1st, was ever going to select Taylor in the first after the production he put out this season.

Kinchens, for as productive as he's been, had issues he could've came back and worked on.

Taylor and Williams made horrible decisions to leave, as it pertains to where they will be drafted. They could've immensely improved their stock.
Very valid points. However, can’t second-guess or complain about anyone’s decision. Think back to the in-game scare with Kichens and it’s easier to understand why someone chases NFL dream rather than returning for another year, though NIL money does add a new twist to the conversation.

Advertisement
It won't boost their projections by coming back for another year.

We've seen what they're capable of. So has the NFL.

The same MF who disagree are the same MF who say, "they're lazy, make dumb mistakes, Manny holdover, blah, blah, blah."

Them boys were already doing wtf they wanted to on gameday. They would've caused more harm than good.

It was time for them to go if for no other reason, it was because they didn't want to stay. Why do we even want players who dont want to stay and don't feel like they need to?

So we can get mad at James for another arm tackle, cuss at Kam for chasing Ints instead of playing his role, berate Leonard for taking a playoff?

They were going to be the same **** guys doing the same **** ****.

None of them needed to come back. Too stuck on the Manny way and holding the team back despite their talent and our need for their experience and depth.

Let Mario recruits ball.

All of em suck.....but should of came back....Am i doing it right cis?.

This is a cis annual....guess starting earlier than normal cause we aint even hit the combine and we have these threads hating on our players.

This the part that kills me. They weren't good enough to leave but we also want them to stay? Make it make sense 🤦🏿

I'm not going to comment on players leaving or staying, but the concept of "Get to your 2nd contract" has been tracked and proven, on average, to be a horrific gamble. Very, very few players, even 1st round players, improve their standing on their 2nd contract. It's a sleazy agent sales pitch, that rarely, rarely works out for the player. When it doesn't, the agent is nowhere to be found.

Advertisement
For animated GIFs — Premature celebration

It won't boost their projections by coming back for another year.

We've seen what they're capable of. So has the NFL.
Some cases it would. Like James for instance. Another year of him putting out quality tape OUTSIDE of playing safety in particular could mean the world for him. It could also have the opposite effect. Same thing with Leonard. He needs to show more consistency. The other guys simply are what they are.

Advertisement
Some are just where their draft grade is. Only two stick out to improve stock and it’s Leonard and Williams. Some posters were getting clowned for saying Williams is a lb and Leonard was flat out taking plays off.

Some are just where their draft grade is. Only two stick out to improve stock and it’s Leonard and Williams. Some posters were getting clowned for saying Williams is a lb and Leonard was flat out taking plays off.
No one got clowned for saying Leonard took plays off. People got clowned for calling Leonard a bust and a JAG. He was sadly still our best DT at half speed.

Last edited:
Looks likely to be a miserable showing in the draft.

I don't want to hear that **** about "getting to the 2nd contract." I'd like to see how many 4-7th round guys actually make it to the 2nd contract.

Kam Kinchens - 2-3rd round
Leonard Taylor - 3-5th
James Williams - 4-6th
Matt Lee - 5-7th
Javion Cohen - 5-7th
Happens every year.

Cohen aint going 5-7th

Looks likely to be a miserable showing in the draft.

I don't want to hear that **** about "getting to the 2nd contract." I'd like to see how many 4-7th round guys actually make it to the 2nd contract.

Kam Kinchens - 2-3rd round
Leonard Taylor - 3-5th
James Williams - 4-6th
Matt Lee - 5-7th
Javion Cohen - 5-7th

Where are these draft grades coming from?

Advertisement

There are probably hundreds of cases also where guys came back and hurt themselves. The assumption from everyone that wants all the players coming back is that they will for sure improve their stock and that isn't so. We have seen a bunch of our players go in the 2-6th round and have long careers. **** we just saw Feliciano and Bush in the super bowl about 5-8 years after they left here. So there is no exact science to this. Yes they could improve (I agree on Taylor and Williams needing to stay), but others might not (Lee and Cohen) or have extenuating circumstances (Kinchens injury). Its not all the same

Advertisement
I've given up on caring. They'll make the best decisions for themselves and their dependents. And if Mario is doing his job right, we'll recruit to backfill them. I personally don't think we'll miss a beat on the OL. And JW was unreliable IMO as much as I was ecstatic he was a Cane.

The two guys on that list I would have liked to see come back for the team's chance of improving their W-L are LT by far, and secondarily Kam. I think they're hardest replace. But both had their own inconsistencies, too. Who knows, maybe JHH plays even better than LT did with Clark next to him? Maybe Powell steps into Kam's role and there's no dropoff?

This the part that kills me. They weren't good enough to leave but we also want them to stay? Make it make sense 🤦🏿
It makes perfect sense. LT56 did next to nothing while he was here but has great POTENTIAL.

We never got to see any of that potential b/c he took off as soon as he could.

Michigan just won a championship b/c all their 3rd to 7th round guys came back.

Ohio State is loaded b/c guys are coming back.

Advertisement
Back