Players expected Taylor Stubblefield to Leave

Is it too early to throw Leonard Hankerson's name out there as a potential candidate?

He coached WR's at UMass for 2 years when Whipple was their HC & was hired at Stephen F Austin (another Southland conference team) last year.

Obviously hasn't coached at a major D1 program yet but could be a future guy that comes back to CG.

And I know yall hate hiring former Canes on staff, which is understandable, but I wouldn't be against it given that he's started out learning the ropes on the smaller level & steadily getting more experienced as a coach.

I would at least bring him in as an analyst & see what he's got.

I don't hate simply because he was a former cane but as you mentioned his body of work is almost non-existent. You have to say even in limited time his work with Isabella was impressive at UMASS. But it was UMASS and Whipple with an otherwise okay offense. Otherwise, though, he hasn't been with any great offenses or even great offensive coaches. Even this year SFA sucked and had just an okay offense.

Joe Brady trained under a stud offensive coach like Moorehead and then under the Saints great offenses. So in his limited time he was getting gurued up (in addition to his savant inherent tendencies). So his lack of CV before LSU was really a CV of getting trained by some of the best in the business.

Slaughter has guys in four years that maximized a lot given where he was. Same with Carrier and the offenses with Holgorsen and receiver production.

Hankerson may need to role the dice and try and find a school with better offensive coaches, or show more in the next few years in wr development like Slaughter has. Otherwise an analyst role would be interesting.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back