Player Development

Martycane

Sophomore
Golden clearly doesn't know how to win games. We all know that.
But he's putting 10 guys in the league -- more than just about anyone else in college football.
Doesn't that mean that at least he can develop talent?
He just doesn't know what to do with the talent.

Advertisement
Player development and Al Golden do not belong in the same sentence.

Players are being drafted based on their raw skill and potential.

I agree that his player development is better than Shannon-- mostly in terms of getting guys to buy into strength and conditioning.

Everything else is another story.

Is it really? Al's a defensive coach. Which defensive player leaving this University for the draft has gotten better? Perryman is the same guy he was his freshman year except with more weight on him.

Advertisement
It's simple his player development is good..... As shown with many cases in walford, dorsett, hurns, McDermott, perryman, Gunter, and others..... His game day coaching ability leaves ALOT to be desired... Along with his loser mentality, the game is lossed before it is even played with the way he thinks and coaches .....

Is it really? Al's a defensive coach. Which defensive player leaving this University for the draft has gotten better? Perryman is the same guy he was his freshman year except with more weight on him.
Gunter, armbrister

But he's putting 10 guys in the league -- more than just about anyone else in college football.

No. There are some guys that are going to the league regardless of what school they go to. Some guys are just physical freaks.

He has shown he can develop the 3* type guys into capable and in some cases great players (Denzel, Dorsett, Clive) but I wouldn't give him any credit for Duke Johnson, he did that on his own will to want to be great. What he hasn't shown me yet is the ability to develop the big time players 4* and 5* which is what will get us to being great again. For example Chickillo is no better than he was as a freshman he was 4/5* and guys like Jelani Hamilton, Tracy Howard, Artie Burns, Jamal Carter all 4* and most of them are stuck where they were when they got here and then Hamilton was so non existent that he had to RS this year and where the **** was Howard all year?

I think we have all said it before, Golden's scheme is for less talented players and he's shown the ability to coach them and make them successful, but he has no idea what to do with south Florida elite talent, he ruins them. IMO Golden could be a good coach for somewhere like Pitt or UVA or something that doesn't have all the talent we have, just get him out of Miami.

Advertisement

Come on out Goldie, we found you. Please stop slurping and drinking your own Kool-Aid.

its the scheme. even Olsen Pierre an undersized DE from a prep school is going to play DT in nfl.
It's position coaches too, carter, tracey,etc have underachieved but our our OL, RB, and TE has shown growth.

Advertisement
I think the total number of guys drafted will actually indicate the success or failure of this program...On a good day we may have half a dozen guys drafted and that would have to include Johnson and Flowers...For everyone who thinks Duke is World Class watch who takes a gamble on him late in the third round or early in the fourth..

I don't think his development is any better than RS. RS had plenty of players drafted his last year. He actually had more of any other university in the draft. And the strength and conditioning isn't any better. Our defense is so slow outside of two players.

Miami will always be putting put players into the draft until our recruiting really starts to crumble. Being in such fertile grounds will make it nearly impossible not get top talent every year with our history for years to come. If Golden stays and we have 5 more 6-6 seasons, then the program starts taking strides backwards.

Advertisement
If anything I'd say its lacking.

I follow the draft a lot and notcied that a scout said something yesterday along the lines of "Miami has some quality players in a bad scheme" or "This guy isn't good now but will thrive with good coaching at the next level". We should be getting the most out of the players not hindering their growth by making them do something theyre not good at. Its sort of like the Dolphins with Dion Jordan, he's a versatile player with the ability to play LB but they continue to use him as a DE.

Anyone bringing up Duke and Perryman can't be serious. They have both been stars since their freshmen years'. All Duke and Perryman did was put on more pounds; it worked for Duke as he was a bit more durable and didn't work out so well for Perryman as I've heard countless people say that he is too heavy.

The only players I can say have really improved and not went from below-average to marginal, like most of our so-called "improved" players, are Bush(why did it take 3 years?), Walford, and Kirby.

I agree that his player development is better than Shannon-- mostly in terms of getting guys to buy into strength and conditioning.

Everything else is another story.

His player development is nothing compared to Shannon. Under Randy the players actually made an impact on the field. No way Randy goes 6-7 with our current roster.

The only strength and conditioning that Golden has done is make players fat.

[]_[]Fan2010;2125515 said:

No. There are some guys that are going to the league regardless of what school they go to. Some guys are just physical freaks.

This.....

He's done what every coach with a ton of SoFla kids on the team does.

Advertisement
Back