plan c at RB

I think we still get Collins, but I won't go as far as to say we absolutely have to. A kid like Tice, to go with Duke and Crawford can get it done IMO until Sony and that other cat from 2014 get here.

Advertisement
I think we still get Collins, but I won't go as far as to say we absolutely have to. A kid like Tice, to go with Duke and Crawford can get it done IMO until Sony and that other cat from 2014 get here.

yeah Tice looks pretty nice BUT to get to the elite level we need game breakers. Collins looks like he is one

They might just be pushing all their chips to the middle and be going full ham on the 2014 class if they don't land Collins. Sony and Cook are two guys who will be ready to play from day 1. I understand that leaves us a little light for 2013, but if the reports that they like Dillard a lot now that he's in shape are true, along with Clements and Crawford all backing up Duke, its not that crazy if you consider that taking a Plan B guy this year eats up a slot that they might feel could be filled by an absolute stud next year.

i think in a perfect world we would take some plan c kid if we missed out on collins but i agree that with the scholarship limits maybe it makes the most sense to not waste a spot on a fringe RB just for depth purposes. clements hasn't ever really done much at UM but he was a four-star kid, and crawford still seems like an untapped source to me.

i guess you run the risk of duke spraining his ankle and missing two games but then again i'm not sure if some freshman three-star would help in that regard, either.

i was thinking that it might be kinda nice to still have storm johnson but he seemed like a sour kid in general

Advertisement
Here's the thing. You NEED "depth" kids. We ALWAYS get ourselves in trouble, when we end up unbalanced with recruiting. This is also why I dont look to 2014 or mulitple years down the road on recruiting. We have no idea if we will land Sony OR Cook, much less both, so we cant bet the farm on what is going to happen in 2014. We thought we had Collins in the bag too, and now we may get squat, what happens if Sony and Cook both split next year and we end up with our d8cks in our hands for the second year in a row? That is how Shannon ended up wrecking his roster.

I AM concerned about the scholie numbers. I DO think that Chestnut and Tice are both solid kids who look pretty good on film. If nothing else, I think they can provide some decent depth and maybe even surprise. Mind you this is ALL Contingent on Clements, Dillard and Crawford being JAGs at best. IF these guys are balling, and look like they can step up and contribute next year, then maybe we can skip it. I just get a gut feeling that the staff is not terribly comfortable with Clements, Dillard and Crawford as the stable, otherwise they wouldnt be visiting Williams, and still looking at other RBs. If they felt we had decent depth, they may have just said "Collins or bust", but it doesnt seem that they are, which leads me to think we really need a body in this class. Im also surprised that more people arent willing to take a flier on Tice. Kid looks pretty **** good to me. Apart from that odd running style he has, which could be an issue, he seems as fast and elusive as anybody on the board, and against solid competition too. He would be an easy grab too.

The Derrick Green ship has sailed. The fact that momma didn't want to have a rescheduled in home visit pretty much sums it up. It's time to move on.

If we don't land Alex Collins, I'd rather us save the scholly for both Cook and Sony.

The Derrick Green ship has sailed. The fact that momma didn't want to have a rescheduled in home visit pretty much sums it up. It's time to move on.

If we don't land Alex Collins, I'd rather us save the scholly for both Cook and Sony.

Were going to save ships for Cook and Sony either way IMO. If both those kids want to come, you find room for them, bottom line. Reality is, we arent going to land them both. So "saving" scholies in the hopes that you are going to land so and so in the future, is a poor recruiting strategy if you have needs on the roster. That is what got Shannon AND Coker in deep sh*t. Left too many holes on the roster, and then had to go on mad scrambles when things didnt "pan out" with Plan A.

The fact that the staff seems to still be going hard after other RBs, including the fact that they just offered Barber, leads me to think they DEFINITELY feel they need to take a bigger back this year.

Advertisement
Here's the thing. You NEED "depth" kids. We ALWAYS get ourselves in trouble, when we end up unbalanced with recruiting. This is also why I dont look to 2014 or mulitple years down the road on recruiting. We have no idea if we will land Sony OR Cook, much less both, so we cant bet the farm on what is going to happen in 2014. We thought we had Collins in the bag too, and now we may get squat, what happens if Sony and Cook both split next year and we end up with our d8cks in our hands for the second year in a row? That is how Shannon ended up wrecking his roster.

I AM concerned about the scholie numbers. I DO think that Chestnut and Tice are both solid kids who look pretty good on film. If nothing else, I think they can provide some decent depth and maybe even surprise. Mind you this is ALL Contingent on Clements, Dillard and Crawford being JAGs at best. IF these guys are balling, and look like they can step up and contribute next year, then maybe we can skip it. I just get a gut feeling that the staff is not terribly comfortable with Clements, Dillard and Crawford as the stable, otherwise they wouldnt be visiting Williams, and still looking at other RBs. If they felt we had decent depth, they may have just said "Collins or bust", but it doesnt seem that they are, which leads me to think we really need a body in this class. Im also surprised that more people arent willing to take a flier on Tice. Kid looks pretty **** good to me. Apart from that odd running style he has, which could be an issue, he seems as fast and elusive as anybody on the board, and against solid competition too. He would be an easy grab too.

I'd take Tice if we cant get Collins but I'd still be ****ed off about it

I know you need depth, but we have have 4 guys for next season on the roster. That is depth. Is taking a Plan B true freshman (probably another Clements type) really going to help? Or would you rather keep the spot and add 2-3 studs from the loaded 2014 RB class and be able to tell them "we didn't take anyone last year and we need you."

Duke, Dillard and Crawford are all still really young so I am not concerned about "creating a recruiting hole" in future years with whats in the 2014 pipeline behind them.

Have to figure Chestnut or Tice are plan C guys. Isnt the Williams guy from Philly also in the mix. Thought I heard they gave him a visit too.

If they lose out on Collins and Green, I'd think there's a big time dropoff to the next tier of guys (Chestnut, et al). Do you take one of those kids just for the sake of taking one, or do you wait until next year to sign 2 studs (Sony and Cook), especially given the (potential) schollie limit next year as well?

My guess is that it depends on what the coaches think of Crawford, Dilliard and even Clement.

in that scenario, i'd lean toward throwing C-D-C into the pot and seeing which one rises to the top.

Advertisement
Need more than 4 running backs on the roster. Too many injury possibilities.

You can get by with 4. Its not nearly optimal, but when the option for the 5th guy is a mediocre true freshman that probably won't be ready anyway, I'd say the better alternative is to save the ship. I'd rather roll the dice and get deep and talented for our 2014-2016 runs.

I know you need depth, but we have have 4 guys for next season on the roster. That is depth. Is taking a Plan B true freshman (probably another Clements type) really going to help? Or would you rather keep the spot and add 2-3 studs from the loaded 2014 RB class and be able to tell them "we didn't take anyone last year and we need you."

Duke, Dillard and Crawford are all still really young so I am not concerned about "creating a recruiting hole" in future years with whats in the 2014 pipeline behind them.

You have to keep balance on your roster. What you are saying SOUNDS good in theory, but it never quite works out like that. Again, that is EXACTLY what got Coker and shannon in deep sh*t. They kept waiting for "next year". Remember when Charlie Jones and Bobby Washington were going to be the saviors of the world? We ended up with a hole on the roster, and then to compenate, Coker went out and brought in like 4 guys, the next year, and half left.

If the staff felt comfortable with the depth of Clements, Crawford and Dillard, then they would not be out giving new offers to kids as we speak. The fact that they just offered Barber a few days ago, leads me to believe that they REALLY feel they need at least one big back in THIS class. Otherwise they would just sit back and wait on Collins or hold for next year. The fact that they are going balls out for another back this year does NOT bode well for the quality in the current stable IMO. And Im not bagging on Crawford or Dillard or calling them busts, but the staff obviously doesnt think they are ready to carry the load with Duke. Besides, we heard throughout the season that there has been a lot of talk regarding Dillard as an Hback or FB, and that would make sense as Hagens will be a Senior and we have no one else behind him. Which leave Crawford and Clements, both of which are more in the mold of Duke, smaller faster guys, not bigger between the tackles type runners. We have NO ONE that can really pound it between the tackles to replace James.

Advertisement

You have to keep balance on your roster. What you are saying SOUNDS good in theory, but it never quite works out like that. Again, that is EXACTLY what got Coker and shannon in deep sh*t. They kept waiting for "next year". Remember when Charlie Jones and Bobby Washington were going to be the saviors of the world? We ended up with a hole on the roster, and then to compenate, Coker went out and brought in like 4 guys, the next year, and half left.

If the staff felt comfortable with the depth of Clements, Crawford and Dillard, then they would not be out giving new offers to kids as we speak. The fact that they just offered Barber a few days ago, leads me to believe that they REALLY feel they need at least one big back in THIS class. Otherwise they would just sit back and wait on Collins or hold for next year. The fact that they are going balls out for another back this year does NOT bode well for the quality in the current stable IMO. And Im not bagging on Crawford or Dillard or calling them busts, but the staff obviously doesnt think they are ready to carry the load with Duke. Besides, we heard throughout the season that there has been a lot of talk regarding Dillard as an Hback or FB, and that would make sense as Hagens will be a Senior and we have no one else behind him. Which leave Crawford and Clements, both of which are more in the mold of Duke, smaller faster guys, not bigger between the tackles type runners. We have NO ONE that can really pound it between the tackles to replace James.

I thought Dillard was supposed to be the big back when we signed him. IIRC the staff was pretty high on him any reason why he cant be the between the tackles runner next year?

You have to keep balance on your roster.

Yes, but balance doesn't necessarily mean taking one RB every year or thereabouts. Balance can be achieved by knowing your roster and seeing who will be here 3 years, 4 years, 5 years, who will redshirt, etc. In fact, the only way to achieve true balance is to have a plan based on the above and to adjust for it.

Right now we have 4 guys for 2013, three of them are real young. We feel VERY good about RB for 2014. There are kids who want in that are really, really good that we will probably have to pass on because we will have even better options.

Don't give me Shannon. Shannon was a **** up who pointed to next year because he struck out. This staff has the chops to correctly evaluate the state of their affairs and plan strategically. They also have the confidence to know they can get it done.

I don't know what the 2015 RB class is looking like, but I will bet out staff does and might be projecting 3 years from now with the 2014 and 2015 classes and where they will be.

I don't want a roster full of JAG's. That's how we got into this mess in the first place.

But I agree, it does look like the staff is set on getting a guy this year. I was just laying out a silver lining scenario of why I wouldn't be freaked out if we didn't get our guys.

I say Collins or none at all... 2014 got some horses coming out the stable... remember we still have Clements, Duke, Crawford and Dillard... 2014 Cook and Sony

Advertisement
Back