Pitt vs The U

- **** poor rebounding. Pitt had 12 offensive boards and we had ONE! They had 2 offensive boards that lead to 4 points during their 11-0 run to close out the game. Rebounding continues to be an issue for this program.
- going away from what is working. We shared the ball pretty well all game and had some beautiful ball movement at times. So what do we do with a commanding 8 point lead? Resort to stagnant, ISO hero ball from Wong. Utterly foolish
- That collapse was Haith esque. Seriously. You’re gonna lose some close games on the road, but we had this won.
- the end of game lack of execution has been an issue with this team since the Cornell near collapse.

Advertisement
Our lack of size really hurts us. We just lost this game. We had it won for 38 min. I think we are good. We are just a good 6'10" dude away from being a final 4 team. The GT loss is gonna come back to haunt us come tourney time.

- **** poor rebounding. Pitt had 12 offensive boards and we had ONE! They had 2 offensive boards that lead to 4 points during their 11-0 run to close out the game. Rebounding continues to be an issue for this program.
- going away from what is working. We shared the ball pretty well all game and had some beautiful ball movement at times. So what do we do with a commanding 8 point lead? Resort to stagnant, ISO hero ball from Wong. Utterly foolish
- That collapse was Haith esque. Seriously. You’re gonna lose some close games on the road, but we had this won.
- the end of game lack of execution has been an issue with this team since the Cornell near collapse.
We had this going completely our way. We just needed to slow down and take time off the clock. At some point they would have fouled. Where is the leadership on this team to settle things down especially being on the road. L should have stopped that run by calling timeouts or simply managing the clock better. And Omier had plenty of fouls to give our inside game should have been to attack the middle at the end. Wong and Pack should have been more on the perimeters just passing back and fourth and make Pitt come to them.

Yes the crime is we should have won that game.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Our lack of size really hurts us. We just lost this game. We had it won for 38 min. I think we are good. We are just a good 6'10" dude away from being a final 4 team. The GT loss is gonna come back to haunt us come tourney time.
I’m not sure why L doesn’t give Casey more burn. I hate to call out individual players, but Walker is completely useless out there.

We had this going completely our way. We just needed to slow down and take time off the clock. At some point they would have fouled. Where is the leadership on this team to settle things down especially being on the road. L should have stopped that run by calling timeouts or simply managing the clock better. And Omier had plenty of fouls to give our inside game should have been to attack the middle at the end. Wong and Pack should have been more on the erimeters just passing back and fourth and make Pitt come to them.

Yes the crime is we should have won that game.
Not L’s finest coaching moment. The players deserve blame for the collapse, but so does he.

Unless Coach L can spark this team to play more relentless for 40 min from here on out, then this team is not going anywhere come tourney time. We will need to make a run to get decent seeding now. We definitely could use another big to complement Omier for rebounding purposes. Should we not try to start Casey along side Omier to give us one more big inside? I know Casey is inexperienced but maybe it's worth a try.

This team continues to play undisciplined, and not smart in the most crucial times. Coach L definitely deserves some of the blame.

Why Pack rushed that shot in last 1 min of game was beyond stupid. That is not his purpose. If we get a better shot off, we could have won there.

Advertisement
I like Wong much better when he’s moving within the offense, getting open, and improvising. Don’t at all like him for clear out 1-on-1 situations. Not his strength.
Couldn't agree more - terrible play calling down the stretch w Wong forcing everything. And Omier needs to stop w the stupid reach in fouls. If he's going to foul to prevent an easy dunk, make it hurt.

Up 68-62 with 2 minutes to go if we scored there, the game was over. Instead, Pack went 1 on 1 and took a bad shot. And that lack of offense repeated itself 2-3 more times in the past 2 minutes. Most 1 on 1 ball by Wong.
The real problem for me with the iso offense was that the best matchup UM had on offense was Miller v Hinson and we completely forgot about it after the 1st half.

I may never write these words at Iona but coach L blew that game.

Sucks cuz there were times during that game I saw great ball movement by our guys. We flashed what we could be. Just let them go on the last run of the game which kind of happens often in cbb. Reminded me of VT last year and usc game in tourney (we were up 7 with like :45 left even though we won). We went from prob having our best week since December to collapsing late. I expect us to respond on Tuesday.

Advertisement
I'm sorry, I love Larranaga, but this type of thing (blowing big leads and **** poor execution down the stretch) has been typical of his teams for a long time now. I don't know if it's Coach L or the type of kids he recruits, but what happened today is way too common.
Seemed like Wong got nervous to me. You give it to your best player. Later he tried going to Miller instead who seemed fine but then we only had one more play with the botched inbounds pass. Not much Coach L can do.

Hopefully it’s good experience for Wong and he gets less nervous in crunch time in the future.

Up 68-62 with 2 minutes to go if we scored there, the game was over. Instead, Pack went 1 on 1 and took a bad shot. And that lack of offense repeated itself 2-3 more times in the past 2 minutes. Most 1 on 1 ball by Wong.
The real problem for me with the iso offense was that the best matchup UM had on offense was Miller v Hinson and we completely forgot about it after the 1st half.

All great points, this game was upsetting it bothered me how we went soft and didn’t finish them off.
We’ve done this before this in losing games with 8-10 leads with 5-6 minutes left.
If we don’t have the aggressive shove it in and snap it off mentality in tournament play we’ll lose opener.
Especially knowing we can’t finish, this is a problem against good teams, opponents just need to give it time and we’ll relax with lead.

GOCANES

I liked the post - but want to add context. I think everyone would agree that in hindsight things could have been done differently. I’m certain L is more upset about this game than anyone on the board - and he always holds himself accountable first.

That said… this team just doesn’t have a killer instinct. I was hopeful some of the earlier losses would help to develop that… and FSU seemed like it might be some incremental improvement but even against FSU I saw a lack of killer instinct (and was dragged for posting about it).

Finally, sometimes in life there are just perfect storms that swallow you up. I think that’s the best label for the last two minutes… poor play, poor officiating, poor execution, lack of a true sense of urgency, sticky offense rather than fluid offense - it all added up to an awful, awful loss.

Advertisement
You guys are so darn negative. Give Coach L time to make adjustments and let the guys get used to one another. Its still January and last I looked we were ranked. Do you guys even know what a turnover is? I swear with fans like these no wonder Coach L has grey hairs and Wong has sinus infections.

A lot of season left. Big week coming up..get things rolling again. We are 16-5 and 7-4 in the ACC. On January 30th last year we were 16-5 but 8-2 in the ACC. I think we'd all agree we could easily be 18-3 and 9-2 in the ACC with just 2 more good minutes of basketball each game. The Gtech game especially still stinks

Last years team finished 6-4 and 1-1 in the Acc tourney. I could see this team finishing about the same Heading into the ACC Tournament.

A lot of season left. Big week coming up..get things rolling again. We are 16-5 and 7-4 in the ACC. On January 30th last year we were 16-5 but 8-2 in the ACC. I think we'd all agree we could easily be 18-3 and 9-2 in the ACC with just 2 more good minutes of basketball each game. The Gtech game especially still stinks

Last years team finished 6-4 and 1-1 in the Acc tourney. I could see this team finishing about the same Heading into the ACC Tournament.
At this point I believe we win our home games and lose our road games which would be a 6-3 finish to the season. I don’t think 13-7 will be good enough for a top 4 seed. We blew that between PITT and GT.

Advertisement
Back