Pitt the third

Advertisement
The level of dumb on this board is astonishing.

So 100% turnaround which would presume that this team was totally awful (which it's not)

And...

Win the ACC Tourney (which isn't required)

Neither of those things needs to happen for this team to go to Omaha.
No this team is not totally awful, but awful enough not to get very far in any playoffs we might be eligible for.

Winning the ACC tourney is not required, but it gets you hosting privileges in the regionals and possibly the Super Regionals. And we need every advantage we can get.

Hopefully, we sweep FSU and the trolls disappear.

Their #2 pitcher has a 4.54 ERA and VTech drilled him. NCState pummeled him as well and scored in the 2nd game.

The third pitcher has an even worse ERA of 5.94 and Boston College is still shelling him as we speak.

Their starter has a good ERA but
"You're just really awful at logic."

Logic has nothing to do with it. Some times a team has weak regional and super regional opponents. Or the other teams they play go into a slump. The point is we have not played for the championship for several years. Just because we lucked out and made it to Omaha in a couple of instances, does not mean we will repeat it this year or any other year. The only way we get to Omaha this year is for this team to make a 100% turn around, win the ACC tourney, regionals and super regionals. If you think the Canes can do it this year, get on the next plane to Vegas and put your money on the canes to win it all. I'm sure you can get some very good odds on your bet.

I do not think that they will make it to Omaha this year.

We have been to Omaha 2 of the past 4 years. That is akin to two 'basketball Final Fours' in four years.

Am confident that we reach Omaha once in the next 3 years. That is a fantastic showing for a small private school that has minimal, merit-based scholarship support.

Are you on your way to Vegas yet? Put your money where your mouth is, that is if you really believe what you are posting.

What the **** are you talking about?

What do 2015 and 2016 have to do with Vegas or any of that nonsense that you just posted?

Advertisement
The hitting is finally coming together but the pitching completely fell off. This could only happen to us.

No this team is not totally awful, but awful enough not to get very far in any playoffs we might be eligible for.

Any team can "not get very far" in a double elimination tournament. Just like any team can get very far.

I assure you that you aren't capable of saying definitively what will happen.

The hitting is finally coming together but the pitching completely fell off. This could only happen to us.

It is very strange. We seem "snake bit". McMahon was very good last year and McKendry was excellent. Veliz was great in 2017, but did struggle some last year.

I thought that the 2017 team would be quite good. It was a senior laden team returning 6 players who had batted close to or over 0.300 the prior year. They wilted without Abreu and Collins. The loss of that North Carolina recruit and Amditis really hurt the team during 2017.

We also lost our best player last year and went 11-1 to close out the year. Too bad he went pro.

We are due for some good luck.

Advertisement
No it doesn't.
How long have you been watching NCAA baseball? Winning your conference tourney goes a long way on where the committee places regionals. The only other thing is how much money is bid by a school to host. UM usually has put in a winning bid.

How long have you been watching NCAA baseball? Winning your conference tourney goes a long way on where the committee places regionals.

You just claimed that winning the conference tournament gets you hosting privileges. It doesn't.

Yet you want to ask how long I've been watching college baseball?

Is this a joke?

Then when told the facts you try to backtrack and say that "it goes a long way."

However long you've watched college baseball, it isn't long enough to know the most basic facts.

Advertisement
Am sorry, but who cares? Perez threw away two games in successive years against the Gators, but fielding has yet to adversely impact us.

Why do we need to get to 98% from 96%. Who cares?

UM has the youngest team in the NCAA. Of course there will be more errors.

I would trade the best hitting team in the ACC for the worst fielding team any day. If McKEndry starts pitching like he did last year and Veliz hits his 2017 stride, we are going to Omaha.

What is the fixation with errors?
It was to prove a point that fielding matters because an idiot made a comment that fielding doesn't matter trying to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. Italso shows how far the gap really is for a team that is jus 10 points better in fielding than Miami. Fielding errors have cost us 2-3 games already. Two of them in conference (NC State game 3 and Pitt game 2).

It takes all 3 facets of the game to win a championship. That is the goal. The most critical is pitching which has been inconsistent and wasn't very good against Pitt with the exception of VanBelle and perhaps Veliz. However, pitching won't matter if you don't play good defense. A couple of errors and a home run and you've just given up 3 runs. Obviously, to win a game you have to score, so hitting is important as well.

Right now this team's offense is carrying the wins because the pitching and defense has been spotty. When this offense has an off night, this team loses to teams like Columbia. Great pitching and great defense will keep you in games. Pitching and defense should be the foundation of any team because they should be your easiest areas of consistency.

When Miami or any team is leading late in the game, it is the pitching and defense that closes out the game not the hitting.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Miami never had an equivalent loss to Vandy's in Jim Morris' tenure.

So, you're grasping again.

National seeds lose regionals all the time. It happened four times just last year. You know what doesn't happen all the time? Losing to a #4 seed 10-2 on Friday and losing to a #3 seed 12-2 on Saturday. At home. As a #1 seed. With an RPI of #12. At least Vandy lost to a #2 seed.

That is so embarrassingly typical.

Miami loses? Baseball is random, any team can lose, small sample size.

Vandy loses? Yep, they choked.

I know that you want to avoid saying anything critical about one of your heroes, but Miami never lost in the same fashion as Vanderbilt did.

You can keep trying to flail away but it's not going to change the facts.

By the way, losing a regional as a national seed is a little more respectable than bungling the program to the point of going 28-26 and missing the tournament at a blue blood program.

Advertisement
Back