Pitt Game

Advertisement
Also, they have no defense on Huell. Give him a **** look.

I've been texting this to indyfarthauz, huell can never get touches. Just posts up , runs block to block then sets a screen. We should run the offense through him imo. He has the athleticism advantage every night.

He gave you his real #? When I tried calling him with the # he gave me, a transgender Russian midget answered and asked what I "liked." Unless, that's him............?

They actually answered " hello , it's a transgender, Russian midget "? It could be possible , but I'm not sure if he's a midget.

I've been texting this to indyfarthauz, huell can never get touches. Just posts up , runs block to block then sets a screen. We should run the offense through him imo. He has the athleticism advantage every night.

He gave you his real #? When I tried calling him with the # he gave me, a transgender Russian midget answered and asked what I "liked." Unless, that's him............?

They actually answered " hello , it's a transgender, Russian midget "? It could be possible , but I'm not sure if he's a midget.

I'm easily confused with a midget.

It was either that, or "Hello, this is the Trump transition headquarters, how can we direct your call?"

Miami should be running their offense through a guy that doesn't finish well, has raw footwork and has shown little at this point in the season. Yep, that's freaking brilliant. Huell is struggling right now, and while he could stand to get a couple more touches a game, he hasn't shown anything warranting him being the centerpiece of the offense. Stop getting starry eyed about his recruiting ranking, it's obvious that was a bit inflated, because compared to Brown, Huell looks like a mediocre guy right now. Huell isn't even rebounding his position right now, and that is mostly desire and technique.

How do you know this? He gets one touch in the post a game unless it's a rebound. It's really hard to play your game when you NEVER touch the ball . The ball should enter the post almost every possession , or at least let him catch it at the ft line.

It's a getting involved thing , and he's our only big that has a huge athletic advantage, and finishes decent.

It beats the **** out of swinging the ball around the perimeter all shot clock , then jacking up a three or watching 0 go 1 on 5. Or just turn it over.

Yep, yours tight smart ***, that's brilliant. Let's do that all game long.

Go watch the film, half the time, he's not even in position to get a pass. His post ups are halfassed, he isn't making himself a legit target, and when he gets the ball, it's a 50/50 chance he will do anything of note. He's an athlete pretending to play basketball right now, he isn't even a competent passer out of the post. Combine that with his middling defensive effort and nonexistent rebounding, and you get a guy that isn't going to see the floor as much as his talent would indicate.

Advertisement
He's nowhere near as ready as we or he thought he was. Murphy is a better option now, bad jumper or not. Would I like to see him get more involved? Yes, but not to force it, just to get him involved if he's not going to contribute. On a couple of plays today, he was not and did not make himself in a good position to get a rebound and was actually outrebounded by Murphy who was playing at like 50% because of his hip.

It was either that, or "Hello, this is the Trump transition headquarters, how can we direct your call?"

Lol

Just watched on the old DVR. Notably, Newton is not improving at all as a pg. Walking, stepping out of bounds, offensive fouls, throw aways. He is a well rounded turnover machine.

The strength of this team is clearly on defense, specifically half court defense. Pitt's MASH unit of a lineup had no chance to generate offense today.

And Bruce Brown is the **** truth.

Last edited:
Advertisement
He's nowhere near as ready as we or he thought he was. Murphy is a better option now, bad jumper or not. Would I like to see him get more involved? Yes, but not to force it, just to get him involved if he's not going to contribute. On a couple of plays today, he was not and did not make himself in a good position to get a rebound and was actually outrebounded by Murphy who was playing at like 50% because of his hip.

I think you're overstating what we're suggesting.

You have a freshman that does have a lot of talent. You have opportunities, say when you're up 20+ late in this game or when you're running a play to Murphy near the top of the key, to get him a look. Clearly there are opportunities and clearly if a big man is getting a jumper, Huell has a better chance to hit it.

If Huell thrives in the situation, you add another scoring threat to this offense and give the kid more confidence. If it doesn't, no big deal because it is only a couple of looks and it at least keeps the defense honest (or respecting that threat).

No one is suggesting to change the offense to fit Huell. At least no one I read on here is suggesting that.

What we're suggesting is during certain games, give him a play or two. Let the freshman gain some confidence and give him the opportunity to score.

-

One final point, given what we know about Huell, his recruitment and the off the court incident. If giving him the additional focus is what keeps him from "transferring" is it worth it? I am not saying he wants to transfer but if it makes him feel like this is the perfect fit for his future, do you give him the looks?

Just watched on the old DVR. Notably, Newton is not improving at all as a pg. Walking, stepping out of bounds, offensive fouls, throw aways. He is a well rounded turnover machine.

The strength of this team is clearly on defense, specifically half court defense. Pitt's MASH unit of a lineup had no chance to generate offense today.

And Bruce Brown is the **** truth.

Yep. I keep trying to think of a comparable player, and I can't quite come up with one. If Newton can get his head on straight, and figure out how to play at 90%, he'll cut his turnovers in half, and the two of them would give you one of the better backcourts in the game. We have no choice, but to ride with Newton until he wakes up. If I had to describe this team in one word it would be "raw". Outside of Murphy and Reed none of these guys are playing all that close to their potential. Even Brown. But he's clearly special.

As impressive as Brown's overall game is, and it is very impressive, consider this: As a freshman guard, Brown rebounds better than most senior forwards. That's nuts.

Playing against ACC talent has not slowed him down at all. In fact, he seems to be getting better in one area or another almost every game. His three point shot looked so pure against Pitt. For the first time I am starting to think he could possibly be one and done. I hope not, because with him, next year's team could be special.

Sonebody tell me Bruce Brown isn't going to be taking his talents to the nba in 2017....

For Brown to be a one and done guy, he would have to develop a consistent jump shot and we have yet to see that but only glimpses like against Pitt. Lets hope he has a great year and miami as well so we will even be having that conversation later in year. We have to keep up the Tough D and good rebounding to stay in games against good teams since this miami team doesn't really shoot particularly well on a consistent basis.

Advertisement
As impressive as Brown's overall game is, and it is very impressive, consider this: As a freshman guard, Brown rebounds better than most senior forwards. That's nuts.

Playing against ACC talent has not slowed him down at all. In fact, he seems to be getting better in one area or another almost every game. His three point shot looked so pure against Pitt. For the first time I am starting to think he could possibly be one and done. I hope not, because with him, next year's team could be special.

Sonebody tell me Bruce Brown isn't going to be taking his talents to the nba in 2017....

He is improving as the season progresses and that is against better competition.

Would it shock me if Brown left? No. If he continues to progress like he does, I can see him leave or be selected in the first round.

The best thing we have going for us is something completely out of our control; the 2017 draft will be loaded.

Pivotal win. We were small underdogs, +2.5. Realistically we are going to lose several home games so stealing the borderline road games is crucial.

When the 3 point line cooperates, we're fine. Admittedly I have a bias against 3 point reliant teams. So fragile. Luckily Pittsburgh didn't defend our inside-out game very well and they were predictable on their own 3 point looks.

Not every team will be so vulnerable. That didn't look like ACC caliber coaching.

No question we're a tenacious defensive team. The rebounding is improved with Brown. In the Notre Dame game we managed to lose despite a 12-1 edge in blocked shots. At least that was the number late in the game. I didn't check the final stats.

More than anything I'm frustrated with lack of playmaking in the half court. Brown will penetrate occasionally but it's almost always in transition. I have patience with Newton because he's the only guy who will risk penetrating in half court sets, even when everybody else is standing around waiting for a 3 point look. Naturally there will be more turnovers than normal because nobody else is moving so defenders collapse from all directions, slapping at the ball.

Newton was really coming into his own last season in the middle of conference play. Penetrating and finishing. Then no question he became more turnover prone, and it has carried over. Some of his mistakes are silly, and unrelated to trying to create his own shot. I think he is pressing. You can see the frustration on his face.

Huell and Murphy need to be on the court together as often as possible. That's our imposing lineup, or as close as we have. We'll be worn down by better ACC teams when our lesser athletes are on the front line. It looks silly for Huell to receive low playing time and low opportunities. The raw ability flashes.

Yesterday with that margin the benchwarmers should have been on the court a couple of minutes sooner. Pittsburgh had clearly given up. We weren't risking anything with the 5-10 guard and the clumsy freshman center #14 .

I think moving Newton to shooting guard and Brown to point could help Newton significantly. Newton isn't a point guard and it's making him more turnover prone. I'll trust Coach L when it comes to Huell's development. He is very raw. Coach L sees him everyday and I'm sure he knows what is best. Huell shouldn't need to be a focal point in the offense to contribute. He has the athleticism to get offensive rebounds and create opportunities for himself which he hasn't done. He needs to keep working on his fundamentals and once he improves he'll be a great weapon. It will take a little bit of time though.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back