Pitt Game 2

Lala called out on a close play. It’s being reviewed, but he’s probably fractionally out.

Upheld.

Advertisement
Pound out 16 hits and lose. The pitching has got to get much better. Too many pitchers look like the stage is too big for them. Got to get over it and perform.

Advertisement
Need a good one from Van Belle tomorrow, and then hope a rested Federman and Maury can get the last few innings. It’s going to be long, hard claw back to .500 in the ACC even with the series win.

Brutal loss. Might be time to take a look at Arteaga. Idk how anyone else feels, but for me pitching is what kept the CWS teams of this decade from being more competitive in Omaha.

And yes I understand we didn’t hit out there either, but at some point your pitching has to win you games when your offense can’t

Brutal loss. Might be time to take a look at Arteaga. Idk how anyone else feels, but for me pitching is what kept the CWS teams of this decade from being more competitive in Omaha.

And yes I understand we didn’t hit out there either, but at some point your pitching has to win you games when your offense can’t

You are correct. We often relied on soft lefties to get through the regular season, then when things got real, we could never hang with the teams that had legitimate pitching.

Advertisement
Never thought we'd be worrying about starting pitching this far into the season. And the walks and working behind in the count, coupled with our shaky defense, is a recipe for disaster.

If McKendry and McMahon don't start chewing up innings and win 2/3 - 3/4 of their remaining starts, we will likely miss the tournament again. That would be a shame given how we've found some guys who can hit.

Gates literally just walked four straight dudes with two outs. Unbelievable.

Is it?

Is it really unbelievable?

We've been mediocre for the past 4 seasons. Not sure why anyone would be surprised at the team's play (or lack thereof), especially someone like you who has a good knowledge of baseball.

I started off blaming on youth, probably still a good part of it, but optics on some of the little league style bumbling in the field and running the bases makes you start to wonder if spent too much time with the Bascom dudes.

Last edited:
Advertisement
These kids look lost out there, wtf are they doing in practice? I have seen better coaching in high school and LL🤬😡, just giving away runs. They look so unsure out there.

Semper Canes!!!

Can't understand why Toral doesn't pick up the spin on the curveball. He has a quick bat. There's no reason to be so far out in front of the pitch. He's only going to get curveballs all season until he proves he can hit off speed pitches.
He needs Jo-boo

The program needed new blood through an entire purge. It didn't happen and we continue to see much of the same. This is the tail spin you see many programs go into and have difficulty recovering from.

Gino is now talking about most of the games the player are trying to win, and how we cannot recruit like Clemson and Florida according to someone on the other board. Losing mentality from the coach, and a lack of expectation for winning breads the results we see.

Strap in because we have at least a few more seasons of this staff. Mediocracy is the new normal, not competing for championships.

Advertisement
Gil should at least DH if at all healthy.

Gates should never pitch again.

Is it?

Is it really unbelievable?

We've been mediocre for the past 4 seasons. Not sure why anyone would be surprised at the team's play (or lack thereof), especially someone like you who has a good knowledge of baseball.

Did you even watch that inning? Gates got two quick outs and then all of a sudden couldn't come close to the strike zone. It was bizarre

Can't understand why Toral doesn't pick up the spin on the curveball. He has a quick bat. There's no reason to be so far out in front of the pitch. He's only going to get curveballs all season until he proves he can hit off speed pitches.

He pulls off of everything,the only curveball he's going to be hit is a hanger up over the middle of the plate. Anything down and/or away he can't get to.

He pulls off of everything,the only curveball he's going to be hit is a hanger up over the middle of the plate. Anything down and/or away he can't get to.
He did show a willingness to hit the ball the other way in Pitt game 3 where hit a double to the left center field gap. I was very encouraged. I just wish he'd take that approach 100% of the time because he's quick enough to reach the inside pitches.

He needs to let the ball "get deep." That allows a split second more time for pitch recognition. Hopefully he has begun to realize that outside pitches are hit from the middle back of the plate not in front of the plate like inside pitches. That's why he looks silly on curveballs. He's trying to hit the ball out in front of the plate every time. That's when the curveball starts to drop and he's way out in front and misses the ball by 6 inches.

Advertisement
Back