Phillips declares

I'm one of the guys on here that always harps on these kids leaving early but in this case it is the right decision. Props to this young man doing it the right way, putting in the work and working himself into the first round

Every true Cane fan should be happy for him and wish him the best. Hopefully other players learn from him and realize they shouldn't leave unless they're getting first round grades like Phillip's is.

Advertisement
Color me shocked.

I have no problem w/ this: this one actually makes sense, since he’s getting the appropriate draft grades. I’m just sitting back waiting to see someone who’s projected to be a bag clerk going to declare.
Really hope this is the year it finally clicks for some of these guys...Nesta, cam harris, bolden...these guys should be returning next year

I should be surprised by the inconsistency of CIS posters. Or is it consistency? Or just plain hypocrisy?

Phillips being lauded for … doing … pretty much exactly what GR15 did, yet … difference.

Loved em both; wished they both had given an additional year; happy for their new opportunity. But, the logic to “differentiate” the two has all the twisting of a sailor’s knot and none of the hold.

He's going to go in the top-two rounds based on his athletic ability. Sucks to get one year out of two years of scholarship and need another IC to fill that spot. Early entrees and transfers add up on your roster composition and that's intentional by the NCAA, who wants to dissuade schools from having easy outs on pushing players out etc.

Still will always take talents like Phillips, Bolden, Martell, et al as more will work out than a developmental recruiting take will give.

Advertisement
I should be surprised by the inconsistency of CIS posters. Or is it consistency? Or just plain hypocrisy?

Phillips being lauded for … doing … pretty much exactly what GR15 did, yet … difference.

Loved em both; wished they both had given an additional year; happy for their new opportunity. But, the logic to “differentiate” the two has all the twisting of a sailor’s knot and none of the hold.
We got one year out of three years' worth of scholarship from Rousseau. It's a great observation.

Dont think its really the same, If Rousseau plays this season and declares at post game presser of UNC game, no one blinks or says anything, it would be a forgone conclusion just like this. Phillips is leaving after his draft eligible season.. Rousseau opted out of a full season and sat out, didnt play ball at all..

He's going to go in the top-two rounds based on his athletic ability. Sucks to get one year out of two years of scholarship and need another IC to fill that spot. Early entrees and transfers add up on your roster composition and that's intentional by the NCAA, who wants to dissuade schools from having easy outs on pushing players out etc.

Still will always take talents like Phillips, Bolden, Martell, et al as more will work out than a developmental recruiting take will give.
Long before the portal became a reality I openly advocated for actively seeking out transfers to upgrade talent. I was hammered for it by some extremely knowledgeable posters. It just made sense that with development being questionable, recruiting was most important — whether they came from high school or another college. So, “tenure” was never going to be a thing with me.

Advertisement
Dont think its really the same, If Rousseau plays this season and declares at post game presser of UNC game, no one blinks or says anything, it would be a forgone conclusion just like this. Phillips is leaving after his draft eligible season.. Rousseau opted out of a full season and sat out, didnt play ball at all..
The people who don’t agree, won’t agree. That’s our new world.

They both played a season. They both had eligibility left. They both effectively stopped playing once they received their “first round grades” (speculative as those grades may be).

Advertisement
Had a pretty good year. Dissapeared completely in our two big games (like everyone else did). Has a lot to work on but wouldn’t be surprised if he has a good nfl career down the road. May go out on limb and say he has highest upside of any d end we have sent to league since Olivier Vernon
Tbh he had a terrible game against UNC. All of their big runs were to his side. He seemed to try to go for the sack every play.

Obviously he's going to get better though. He has a high ceiling and I wish him the best.

Advertisement

One played his JR season, one didn’t. Seems straightforward.

Advertisement
Back