Phillip Dorsett

I think Dorsett has been fine. If anybody on the offense needs some criticism it's Stephen Morris. He's played like crap so far this season IMO.

While he did not have his best game against UF, he got injured against SS and perhaps if Coley catches TDs against FAU...people are singing a different tune.

If UM wanted too, Morris could have put up a ton of irrelevant stats against FAU.

Stephen hasn't looked as sharp as the ending to last season IMO. He and the WR's have to get on the same page. I know Miami played Savannah State on Saturday but Williams was on point making quick throws to the open WR.

Let's examine why again...perhaps it is more than just he hasn't been sharp.

It has been 3 games.

1. Of those 3 games, 1 was against UF and Morris had issues. Let's not forget that UF may be one of the top 5 defenses in America. Morris played poorly, even though he through 2 GEM TDs, against a top defense.

2. Of those 3 games, 1 was against FAU. Against FAU he was pulled early and had Coley drop 2 BIG TDs. Perhaps if Coley catches them his stats look sexier and people aren't concerned as much. Just like SS, these stats are irrelevant since the team is dog ****.

3. Of those 3 games, 1 was against SS where he got hurt. I have no question that he would (if he was healthy and we wanted to) put up huge stats against them, Williams did it. They would be irrelevant stats but he could have done it.

So 3 games so far, 1 was against UF with a tremendous defense where he had some issues. 1 was against FAU where we were vanilla, he left the game early and Coley had two monster TD drops. 1 was against SS, where he was fine until he got injured.

It's up to you to judge and Morris did have issues against UF (most would) but it is early in the season...I think sometimes unfortunate things happen (Morris gets injured, drops against FAU) and are out of your control.

Oh I completely agree. There isn't enough data to judge whats really going on yet. Waiting for Morris to have a 400 yard passing day where everybody is on the same page wrecking ****. The way the schedule has gone haven't had that opportunity.

Advertisement
Its not that simple. Against UF after they made their adjustments Morris looked lost. He has a habit of doing that in games no matter the competition. Looks like a future NFL star one quarter then you are wondering how the **** is he our starting QB the next. Even against NC State where he threw for a ACC record, he looked awful for a quarter and a half. Against FAU even with the Coley drops he did not look sharp. Forced some throws into double coverage. His INT was horrible. He has missed open guys, he has missed reads throwing to covered guys deep when he had a guy wide open underneath.

I don't think every QB can have perfect games or games where they are strong for every quarter. Defenses make adjustments, defenses make plays, QBs make mistakes. I also know Morris has issues (checkdowns and fastballs) but I have seen this guy get screwed by drops all the time at the same time. You want to help him, catch the ball Coley. At the same time, while your seeing mistakes, you also see the skills (the TD to Dorsett UF, the TD to Waters UF , the TD to Hurns SS, the Walford TD pass FAU) those 4 plays are all big time throws. That is what Morris brings.

The result that matters with QBs (IMO) are wins, turnovers and points.

Are winning games when Morris is the starter?

Are we limiting TOs and sustaining drives when Morris the stater?

Are we scoring points when Morris is the starter?

Let us not forget that Stephen Morris has been at UM for now 4 years and in that time he has had 3 different OCs (Whipple, Fisch and Coley). Not exactly a receipt for success. I wanted Morris to play 4-5 series against SS and lead the team to a bunch of points while doing that. He got injured. So now USF he will have to lead the offense and get them in rhythm before ACC play.

I just sit back and laugh at this stuff. Some of the same things said about Dorsett are some of the EXACT same things that were said about Travis Benjamin. One trick pony. Not much wiggle. Bad route runner. Average hands. Yadadada. And look where that one trick got that pony. In the league. Dorsett has one trait we cant teach. Sick speed. He can go deep at will. He is the only person on our roster that I can say that about. He will be fine.

Dorsett is nowhere near as explosive as Travis was, the only thing that they had in common was a case of the dropsies and both have great straight line speed, but Travis had a crazy burst with the ball in his hands.

I think something is going on with dorsett he is now listed as a co-starter at wr. He just doesn't seem focused and maybe the staff is thinking that to that's why they are trying to light a fire to his *** with the new depth chart.

Advertisement
can we get into acc play first? we have played a mid major and a high school team & against florida he made a big blay against a 1 round pick at corner

Bobbydigius, my point was that people dogged TB for the supposed "one trick pony" problem. And my point was that one trick is getting him paid to play on Sundays. I agree with the poster that said lets get into ACC play first before we start saying Coley is going to phase him out. Dorsett has been there and is still a helluva weapon. Gtech beats Vtech on Thurs night and that game just went up a notch on Oct 5th.

I think we're all hard on the dude because we expect a lot. Yes, last year he led the team in receptions, yards & TD's but he should be taking it to the next level this year. And personally I do not see him being a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Keenan Allen went in the 3rd round this year and he was way better than Dorsett.

Dorsett is horrible on returns period the thing about his speed is it has to be a straight line run or he's very average. Did you see the same Cooley returns as everyone else that jump cut then in 2 steps being back at top speed you ain't teaching that its god given. I've also had the motto that you have to have some wiggle to return kicks because your going to have to make people miss most of the time and that's not a strength of dorsett not a knock just truth

Advertisement
Its not that simple. Against UF after they made their adjustments Morris looked lost. He has a habit of doing that in games no matter the competition. Looks like a future NFL star one quarter then you are wondering how the **** is he our starting QB the next. Even against NC State where he threw for a ACC record, he looked awful for a quarter and a half. Against FAU even with the Coley drops he did not look sharp. Forced some throws into double coverage. His INT was horrible. He has missed open guys, he has missed reads throwing to covered guys deep when he had a guy wide open underneath.

I don't think every QB can have perfect games or games where they are strong for every quarter. Defenses make adjustments, defenses make plays, QBs make mistakes. I also know Morris has issues (checkdowns and fastballs) but I have seen this guy get screwed by drops all the time at the same time. You want to help him, catch the ball Coley. At the same time, while your seeing mistakes, you also see the skills (the TD to Dorsett UF, the TD to Waters UF , the TD to Hurns SS, the Walford TD pass FAU) those 4 plays are all big time throws. That is what Morris brings.

The result that matters with QBs (IMO) are wins, turnovers and points.

Are winning games when Morris is the starter?

Are we limiting TOs and sustaining drives when Morris the stater?

Are we scoring points when Morris is the starter?

Let us not forget that Stephen Morris has been at UM for now 4 years and in that time he has had 3 different OCs (Whipple, Fisch and Coley). Not exactly a receipt for success. I wanted Morris to play 4-5 series against SS and lead the team to a bunch of points while doing that. He got injured. So now USF he will have to lead the offense and get them in rhythm before ACC play.

True, no one is perfect but with Morris when he gets into a funk it is 3 and out city because he is always looking for big chunks. There were check down opportunities against UF but he kept forcing the ball down field.

I hope Flip turn it around. I am glad to see Hurns getting burn. I don't think any WR on this team reaches 1000 on the season. (Nothing wrong with that) I just thought Dorsett would be that guy this year. We will finish with like 4-5 500+ yard receivers. I wanted to see another Miami WR go for 1000+ like Hank. Oh well still wish Dorsett best of luck.

True, no one is perfect but with Morris when he gets into a funk it is 3 and out city because he is always looking for big chunks. There were check down opportunities against UF but he kept forcing the ball down field.

Truth but he also threw two gems that accounted for 14 points against UF. One of those plays was a BIG CHUNK play, I am not against this tactic because he has an arm and he has a bunch of TDs throwing deep. I don't like it if he does it all the time but sometimes the WR is open.

So it appears that the pre-season prognosticators who did not include our wide receiver corps in their national rankings were fully justified in their assessments, rather than acting out of perceived anti-UM bias.

Advertisement
So it appears that the pre-season prognosticators who did not include our wide receiver corps in their national rankings were fully justified in their assessments, rather than acting out of perceived anti-UM bias.

Correct, 3 games and it is over. The book is closed on our WR corps.

Correct, 3 games and it is over. The book is closed on our WR corps.

Well, that's a **** of a leap. Where did I say "[t]he book is closed on our WR corps"?

Our WR corps is good, especially once Morris gets his accuracy issues resolved. But there were people on here claiming that we had the best WR corps in the country going into the season. and they made posts claiming that it could only be anti-UM bias that caused us to not be included in the WR corps rankings. That was absurd.

It's also over the top homerism to claim that Stacey Coley -- at this point in his career -- is a more polished WR than Sammy Watkins. The comparison is laughable. ****, Watkins was in the Hesiman Trophy discussion as a true freshman WR because of his ridiculous production, including in big time games. the kid was unbelievable right out of the gate.

Coley simply is not in that discussion. he had two wide open drops against FAU, resulting in him not playing against UF. And then he had a great game against bottom feeder Savannah State. That's great, but it doesn't make him more polished than Watkins was as a freshman.

Granted, Coley has elite athleticism and with the right work ethic and commitment, he has the potential to be a great one. But he unequivocally is not there yet.

I will always give Dorsett the benefit of the doubt. He was the one recruit that assured everyone that he was solid after Randy got fired. He never waivered one bit when many including Chick was waivering.

Advertisement
Bobbydigius, my point was that people dogged TB for the supposed "one trick pony" problem. And my point was that one trick is getting him paid to play on Sundays. I agree with the poster that said lets get into ACC play first before we start saying Coley is going to phase him out. Dorsett has been there and is still a helluva weapon. Gtech beats Vtech on Thurs night and that game just went up a notch on Oct 5th.

Fair enough, its too early to right off Dorsett just yet but he is not Benjamin. TB was electric with the ball in his hands, he was the type that would take a screen and house it or catch the long ball. The knock against that kid was that his hands were suspect and at times he seemed completely disinterested in a game. Dorsett still has the rest of this year and next, cause he aint leaving early, but its apparent that he is soley a deep threat. Now there is nothing wrong with that, because a player with his speed will make a lot of plays in college, but the NFL is another story. Dorsett doesnt make the plays Benjamin made with the ball in his hands. He just doesn't. One thing I will say for the kid that is unfair though, a bunch of our fan base set way too high expectations for him. He isnt a #1 type guy and too many thought he would be. Now the notion that Coley is gonna phase him out...... He aint gonna phase him out because Dorsett will have a role on this team, but I do expect Coley to be our consensus #1 WR by next year and I say that as praise for Coley and not a knock PD.

Advertisement
Back