Phillip Dorsett

Bryden1207

Redshirt Freshman
I just feel like some of you guys are being too hard on Dorsett and I feel like he is not getting the respect he deserve as a player.

Did you guys forget that he was our leading receiver last year in receptions, yards and touchdowns (58,842,4). And he broke the school record in receiving yards in one game. Yet we are being his biggest critic (after 3 games) while other teams continue to respect Dorsett by double teaming him and kicking away from him on returns.

I mean you guys are praising Stacey Coley for returning a Punt on a FCS Savannah St team. Dorsett would've done the same if they wouldn't have kicked it away from him the whole game.

Also Dorsett is our best blocker at WR.

Please lets not forget with Dorsett we have at least a 2nd day pick with him. (2nd, 3rd round)

Im not saying he is the best receiver on the team (I believe Herb is), but can we at least respect him as a Good Player like how we respect Allen Hurns and others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YLYMARXxxc

Advertisement
I think Dorsett has been fine. If anybody on the offense needs some criticism it's Stephen Morris. He's played like crap so far this season IMO.

I don't think anyone is saying he sucks. But to say he's made more then one play this year would be incorrect. As a leader and veteran we expect more from him as a fanbase. He's had chances to make plays. Now i give him mad props for his efforts blocking in the run game. But so far he is not a playmaker on this team.

I think Dorsett has been fine. If anybody on the offense needs some criticism it's Stephen Morris. He's played like crap so far this season IMO.

While he did not have his best game against UF, he got injured against SS and perhaps if Coley catches TDs against FAU...people are singing a different tune.

If UM wanted too, Morris could have put up a ton of irrelevant stats against FAU.

Still not sure why he refused to field punts on Saturday. Lost a lot of field position.

He'll be fine. He'll have a huge game soon and then disappear for a game or two. Rinse and repeat.

Advertisement

While he did not have his best game against UF, he got injured against SS and perhaps if Coley catches TDs against FAU...people are singing a different tune.

If UM wanted too, Morris could have put up a ton of irrelevant stats against FAU.

Stephen hasn't looked as sharp as the ending to last season IMO. He and the WR's have to get on the same page. I know Miami played Savannah State on Saturday but Williams was on point making quick throws to the open WR.

Dorsett is a good player, I would take him off the return teams though. That just isn't his game. The passing game has yet to get going and we are 3-0. I think everyone on our schedule should be scared of that fact.

There is no reason to think that Dorsett is worse than last year as a player. I just think he's stuck in limbo. It's clear that Morris trusts Hurns and probably Waters more in the short/intermediate game and thus Dorsett has fallen into this land of deep ball or bust. It might be wise to integrate him in some of those hitches that for some reason always go to Hurns or some WR screens if for no other reason than to keep everybody (our side and the defense) respecting him as a threat somewhere other than tearing down the field for a bomb.

I just sit back and laugh at this stuff. Some of the same things said about Dorsett are some of the EXACT same things that were said about Travis Benjamin. One trick pony. Not much wiggle. Bad route runner. Average hands. Yadadada. And look where that one trick got that pony. In the league. Dorsett has one trait we cant teach. Sick speed. He can go deep at will. He is the only person on our roster that I can say that about. He will be fine.

Advertisement

Stephen hasn't looked as sharp as the ending to last season IMO. He and the WR's have to get on the same page. I know Miami played Savannah State on Saturday but Williams was on point making quick throws to the open WR.

Let's examine why again...perhaps it is more than just he hasn't been sharp.

It has been 3 games.

1. Of those 3 games, 1 was against UF and Morris had issues. Let's not forget that UF may be one of the top 5 defenses in America. Morris played poorly, even though he through 2 GEM TDs, against a top defense.

2. Of those 3 games, 1 was against FAU. Against FAU he was pulled early and had Coley drop 2 BIG TDs. Perhaps if Coley catches them his stats look sexier and people aren't concerned as much. Just like SS, these stats are irrelevant since the team is dog ****.

3. Of those 3 games, 1 was against SS where he got hurt. I have no question that he would (if he was healthy and we wanted to) put up huge stats against them, Williams did it. They would be irrelevant stats but he could have done it.

So 3 games so far, 1 was against UF with a tremendous defense where he had some issues. 1 was against FAU where we were vanilla, he left the game early and Coley had two monster TD drops. 1 was against SS, where he was fine until he got injured.

It's up to you to judge and Morris did have issues against UF (most would) but it is early in the season...I think sometimes unfortunate things happen (Morris gets injured, drops against FAU) and are out of your control.

There is no reason to think that Dorsett is worse than last year as a player. I just think he's stuck in limbo. It's clear that Morris trusts Hurns and probably Waters more in the short/intermediate game and thus Dorsett has fallen into this land of deep ball or bust. It might be wise to integrate him in some of those hitches that for some reason always go to Hurns or some WR screens if for no other reason than to keep everybody (our side and the defense) respecting him as a threat somewhere other than tearing down the field for a bomb.

I saw one of those plays to Dorsett against UF and Morris threw it over his head. That seems to be the problem right now. Guys get open but Morris misses badly. Then when they do mess up like Dorsett not reading the hot route against UF, its oh Dorsett sucks, get him out of the game. LOL Bottom line is both the QB play and WRs have to get better moving forward.

Dude lost us 20 yards almost every time he was back on punt returns. I guess he has never heard of fair catches.

As far as a receiver, outside of the occasion of him and Morris being on the same page for a deep pass. He is pretty much ghost the rest of the time. That could be due to Morris being farsighted.

Would love to see him put it together. I hope he comes back next season, works on his route running, and with a QB that see's the field, maybe he can leave the way he should.

Let's examine why again...perhaps it is more than just he hasn't been sharp.

It has been 3 games.

1. Of those 3 games, 1 was against UF and Morris had issues. Let's not forget that UF may be one of the top 5 defenses in America. Morris played poorly, even though he through 2 GEM TDs, against a top defense.

2. Of those 3 games, 1 was against FAU. Against FAU he was pulled early and had Coley drop 2 BIG TDs. Perhaps if Coley catches them his stats look sexier and people aren't concerned as much. Just like SS, these stats are irrelevant since the team is dog ****.

3. Of those 3 games, 1 was against SS where he got hurt. I have no question that he would (if he was healthy and we wanted to) put up huge stats against them, Williams did it. They would be irrelevant stats but he could have done it.

So 3 games so far, 1 was against UF with a tremendous defense where he had some issues. 1 was against FAU where we were vanilla, he left the game early and Coley had two monster TD drops. 1 was against SS, where he was fine until he got injured.

It's up to you to judge and Morris did have issues against UF (most would) but it is early in the season...I think sometimes unfortunate things happen (Morris gets injured, drops against FAU) and are out of your control.

Its not that simple. Against UF after they made their adjustments Morris looked lost. He has a habit of doing that in games no matter the competition. Looks like a future NFL star one quarter then you are wondering how the **** is he our starting QB the next. Even against NC State where he threw for a ACC record, he looked awful for a quarter and a half. Against FAU even with the Coley drops he did not look sharp. Forced some throws into double coverage. His INT was horrible. He has missed open guys, he has missed reads throwing to covered guys deep when he had a guy wide open underneath.

Advertisement
He's a slot wr

I don't agree with this at all. Just because you are short doesn't mean you are a slot guy. He can't make people miss, has very little wiggle and he is not a guy I would send over the middle. He has long speed but doesn't have the explosiveness and short area quickness. He is sort of like TB3 when he was here. Small guy who is better suited on the outside to use his speed. Although Dorsett has more size on him.

Dorsett needs to clear out the middle of the field for Walford. If he does that he's good with me.

Advertisement
dorsett was never a good punt returner...in practice they never run this live..he losses yards for us..let coley have it and prove he is the guy..the more touches he gets the better off we are...I have no issues with #4...he just needs to keep playing well

Dorsett is a good player, I would take him off the return teams though. That just isn't his game. The passing game has yet to get going and we are 3-0. I think everyone on our schedule should be scared of that fact.

This, Coley is a better option in the return game. The passing game will pick it up soon and Dorsett will be fine.

He's a good player who just needs to get back in the flow of the game. I will be shocked if he doesnt produce as the season goes along.

Someone said he's the best blocking WR. I've seen very good blocking from Hurns...not saying Dorsett isnt a good blocker. Rather i just see Hurns doing it consistently.

Dorsett is a good player, and I'm glad he's a cane. That said, while there were some huge plays in those highlights above it only reinforced my desire to have Coley field punts. I don't think I saw him make a single person miss in those highlights. Even his one punt return td in those highlights was him jetting down a wide open sideline. I want him at wideout beating people deep, but would really like to see Coley take over punt return.

Advertisement
Back