Phillip Dorsett, That boy good!

Picksix

Band
Banned
We have a bunch of Duke threads so I figured we could talk a little about Phillip Dorsett. So I was watching the Carolina Panthers game last and I couldn't help but notice how similar Phillips game is to Steve Smiths. Both are lightning fast who stretch the defense and open up the rest of the offense. Golden had nothing but glowing remarks about Phillip during this offseason and we all saw what the kid could do to defenses when he gets the behind the secondary.

The potential this offense has right now is filthy. I would hate to be the opposing defensive coordinators this year.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I would agree to an extent that they are very similar. I think what Steve Smith has been known for well in the past is despite being small, having the ability to go up and get balls in jump situations and being able to take a quick screen the distance. Dorsett proves he can get open by his speed but I think if he develops those two skills he'll be more comparable to Smith

Philip definately has a knack for stretching the for field... He proved this last year and during the camps this past spring and fall. He is going to take a bunch to the house. More importantly, the opposing safeties are going to have to stay back which will open up the middle of the field for the TE's, possession guys and RB's coming out of the backfield. He's definately become a weapon!

Advertisement
Never seen dorsett be able to YAC like steve smith. Still think hes great

Phillip had some shake in HS that hasn't translated yet to the college level. It's just crazy how similar their games are even down to their measurables. Both are lightning fast in a compact frame. I think Phillip is going to turn some heads this year. Play action to Duke while Phillip in a go route with Coley crossing from the slot with a TE up the seam?

A lot of times, YAC comes from breaking a tackle. This is the first year that Dorsett is physically strong enough to do so. His first year I don't think the kid weighed a 160 pounds despite what the roster listed him.

Dorset has to catch those passes he dropped against ND.

I'm sure those dropped passes is what motivated him this offseason to put in the work. On the road playing ND is a big stage for a true sophomore to be on. He'll get those drops worked out.

Last edited:
Advertisement

A lot of times, YAC comes from breaking a tackle. This is the first year that Dorsett is physically strong enough to do so. His first year I don't think the kid weighed a 160 pounds despite what the roster listed him.

Very true... He looks pretty diesel now. One more week guys! Get to see what Golden has been cooking up.

Can we please have more than a player's name in the title of a thread? I fully expect to open it and see that he tore his ACL or is suspended for something.

Something like, "Phillip Dorsett, That Boy Good" would be fine.

Last edited:
at first I was thinking we will hear allot Alex Fig this year, but after this offseason I think Doesette is going to step in to a different level.

the guy has been working harder than anyone on the team. Never stops. He is super fast. He will get open so many times that the other team will double team him to make sure he is not open and that will leave Coley, Scott, Waters, Lewis open. Either he will be catching the passes or he will draw the d and his teammates will be open.

I have seen him in person few times and ever time i see him he looks in better shape.

Advertisement
Can we please have more than a player's name in the title of a thread? I fully expect to open it and see that he tore his ACL or is suspended for something.

Something like, "Phillip Dorsett, That Boy Good" would be fine.

Hope that unrustles your jimmy...

Advertisement
I always think it is amazing how similar steve smith and santana are. measurables- even stats.. steve smith mightbe a HOF, and S. Moss not,,,but **** they are close.

Dorset is nothing like Steve smith. Smith was a force in the return game, especially earlier in his career. Also, smith has far greater potential for YAC, whether it be from stiff arms or lateral moves. Steve smith never goes down easily

Last edited:
LOVE Dorsett and what he brings to table. Have seen him play since high school. He also had case of drops here n there at that level. But for him to take the next step games like ND are UNACCEPTABLE, PERIOD. He had 4 HUGE drops in the first half, people only remember the first two but he dropped 2 other big plays in the first half when the game was still in reach. You cannot be a go to big play threat if you cannot catch the ball.

With that said, I am bullish on him and look for him to have a big season. I hope he is able to grow from that experience and play well (him and Morris/Duke) not only against savannah st and FAU but also UF, and FSU.

Dorset has to catch those passes he dropped against ND.

I'm sure those dropped passes is what motivated him this offseason to put in the work. On the road playing ND is a big stage for a true freshman to be on. He'll get those drops worked out.

He was a true sophomore - but yes, def a big stage.

That boy was running so fast he could not get his arms out in front of himself. He tried! Hopefully he's learned to control his speed and body a little better to avoid that from happening again... No worries, he's going to be good.

Last year he had 842 yrds and 4 TD's.

I think he breaks 1000 yards and gets 7 TD's this year!

Advertisement
Back