Philip Wilder Here comes the late offers

Wow that’s the rumor? Why would Greene’s decision to Nebraska effect Romelo's decision?
It’s according to JMG. CIS rumors and assumptions probably. But Striking out on targets that were locks may be affecting kids. They want to play with good players and once the levee breaks........
4C002794-50D8-4A0E-A94C-CF72126512E2.png

Advertisement
Agree with most of what you say except Campbell looks usable at guard. He played better in limited action than i expected, better than Donaldson to my amateur eye. Reed.....we'll see. He's young and hopefully can step up.

The rest though - yeah it's bad. Either we recruit guys who have no business being here or have the worst Oline coaching anywhere. Could be both. Even lower tier schools coach lower recruits up. Somehow we can't.

Campbell came on towards the end of the year...and actualy looked real good at guard. Actually surprised me as i didnt think he was sytrong enough.

After watching this kid's highlight tape I was not impressed. He lacks twitch and is slow-footed. He leans out over his feet and gets off balance quite a bit. He does not have the athleticism to hold up against P5 DEs. He reminds me a lot of the JUCO kid (Traore) we brought in a few months back. Both lack the explosion you'd like to see from your starting OL. Both will struggle blocking the type of athletic DL you see in the ACC.

You do realize this is early signing day this week. Right?
Yes. But most people want to sign as many players as they can early. Sending out a non commutable offer to a kid who will have no more film than what’s out there seems like your planing for a plan B or even worse a plan c really late in the game.

Advertisement
Campbell came on towards the end of the year...and actualy looked real good at guard. Actually surprised me as i didnt think he was sytrong enough.

I agree Campbell is a starter at guard next year imo...If you wanna give him one more look at RT, make it right at the beginning of spring and do it briefly. If doesn't work, let him settle at guard. I have a funny felling we may see Donaldson's name end up in the portal, but if he does indeed stay put him in an all out battle to keep his job (Reed/Traore/Clark/Rivers), he obviously needs to shed 30.

Not listed Trarore....Hillery/Herbert would have to take a major step forward to get in EVEN OUR 2 DEEP. They look hopeless, and Dykstra prob never sees the field.

LT Portal/Nelson/Rivers
LG Donaldson/Reed
C Gaynor/Clark
RG Campbell/Clark/Reed
RT Scaiffe/Rivers

Last edited:
Agree with most of what you say except Campbell looks usable at guard. He played better in limited action than i expected, better than Donaldson to my amateur eye. Reed.....we'll see. He's young and hopefully can step up.

The rest though - yeah it's bad. Either we recruit guys who have no business being here or have the worst Oline coaching anywhere. Could be both. Even lower tier schools coach lower recruits up. Somehow we can't.

Here is the problem with Campbell...he had some decent snaps by the end of the year...thats good and all, but he was unusable at tackle. The reality is, HE SHOULDN'T BE PLAYING IN THE FIRST PLACE. This guy is like our 6th or 7th best OL (maybe better, but follow me here)...he's a really developmental player that if you got anything at all, should be in his 4th/5th year on the team. Not in his 2nd or whatever and in a key role. He was a STARTER in game one.

Oh I agree with this. Hey please don’t confuse me saying “I like this kid” with me thinking this staff has everything together. I do not think they recruit well. As bad as we have been for almost two decades, UM still has a name and a strong fanbase. Some parents want to send their kids here, however we don’t instill much confidence in them with our on field production or during recruitment.

Boom! Thank u! That’s all I’ve been saying for years.

Advertisement
Here is the problem with Campbell...he had some decent snaps by the end of the year...thats good and all, but he was unusable at tackle. The reality is, HE SHOULDN'T BE PLAYING IN THE FIRST PLACE. This guy is like our 6th or 7th best OL (maybe better, but follow me here)...he's a really developmental player that if you got anything at all, should be in his 4th/5th year on the team. Not in his 2nd or whatever and in a key role. He was a STARTER in game one.
This is 100% accurate! Other than a few classes, we have brought in sufficient talent to field a respectable to solid OL, but our main issue is that we are always playing guys too early and we rarely RS our best recruits and force them into the lineup. Only elite kids like Ereck Flowers should be playing from Day 1. He was dominant almost his entire career. Every other kid should be taking a mandatory RS. Kc McDermott, Tyree St. Louis, Tyler Gauthier, Trevor Darling, Nick Linder... every single one was never redshirted... that is a huge failure by all these coaching staffs we have had. Had those kids redshirted it would’ve allowed us to keep the guys that came after them on the bench and developed slowly like it’s supposed to be. What else do those guys have in common? Every single one was switched to different positions in their career, some multiple times. Can’t possibly expect good results doing that. Our coaches need to find a position for these guys and keep them there. Kc was a RT, LG, and LT. TSL was RT and LT and I think OG briefly early on. Gauthier was G and C. Darling was everything but C. Linder G and C.
Say what you want about those guys but McDermott and Gauthier are on the Jaguars, TSL on the Chargers PS last time I checked. So they have NFL talent. Lowest tier, but still shows they have talent. And we wasted it and should’ve had them all here for another year. None of them would’ve gone pro early and likely all improved draft stock with another year and maybe are in a better situation in the league.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Yes. But most people want to sign as many players as they can early. Sending out a non commutable offer to a kid who will have no more film than what’s out there seems like your planing for a plan B or even worse a plan c really late in the game.
That's why it's non-commutable.

I’ve heard that we are in swift pursuit of Denarius McRailus. He’s a 6’11” prospect from Mount Popa, out of Constantine HS. He’s only 175 right now but should bulk up in time.

Advertisement
Back