Phil Steele: UM most improved.

YOU missed the point. The blue team in Carolina won 7 games. We won 6. If we both finish the season with the same amount of wins, we would be the most improved of the 2, because we had the bigger jump in the win column. In other words, like I said in my previous post, we had the worst year in 2019. So when we do good this year, even if UNC does good as well, we will be "most improved".

The difference between the most improved and a team not on the list is one game?
That's where we disagree.

Advertisement
Could some screens or pitch plays help in disguising some of the deficiencies until the OL gets up to speed?
Disguising not so much cause that's staples in his system. But it'll be necessary with ours. My concern isn't so much outside. It's inside at gaurd because mobility has never been there strength. Maybe that's cause such an emphasis was put on protection rather than playing downfield. But we'll see. Good part is not too many teams on our schedule will be physical enough to expose that. Practice honestly should be the biggest indicator of when that's gonna come around.

Disguising not so much cause that's staples in his system. But it'll be necessary with ours. My concern isn't so much outside. It's inside at gaurd because mobility has never been there strength. Maybe that's cause such an emphasis was put on protection rather than playing downfield. But we'll see. Good part is not too many teams on our schedule will be physical enough to expose that. Practice honestly should be the biggest indicator of when that's gonna come around.
It's going to be cool seeing how the offense works out. Appreciate the reply. Respect....

Yeah, D, I didn’t think about the inside mobility required by Lashlee. Maybe Scaife needs to stay at OG to help out there. But whether it’s at OG or OT, we have holes on the line despite having a ton of players on roster.

Scaife is the only proven high upside guy, with J Williams and Gaynor having a high floor but limited upside. After that, who steps up to make the starting five?

Our W/L record will all come down to how Justice handles that mess. Even in the Coastal, schools like UNC, Va Tech and Pitt can expose us. Every other position seems ACCCG ready to me.

Last edited:
You're missing the bigger picture here brother. So with lashlee game plans(of the past) his offenses are based on the power run game to set up tempo & more importantly to this is mobility... He's gonna routinely move the pocket. In order to successfully do that you're gonna need your GUARDS to be aggressive and quick. All that goes just to say justice has his hands full. A line that already struggled mightily to grasp what they were being taught before is having to reinvent themselves into something far more difficult. Our guards don't usually pull quick enough to stay ahead of the running backs alone on basic sweeps or option calls. Now you wanna put the qb behind them as well while the play develops. Could be interesting. BUT that's where the intermediate game will need to thrive. Well see. Point is though other than Williams who's played a loose interpretation of this offense for years ALL the rest of the line is a work in progress.

Theres no shot SMU’s guards were better then ours that we have now. We’ll be fine.

Advertisement
Theres no shot SMU’s guards were better then ours that we have now. We’ll be fine.
Apples and oranges... It's not a matter of better or worse at this point. It's about time in a system and adjusting there approach. Beyond the fact ours aren't agile at all, the biggest issue is having to adapt to a new system and discard previous techniques taught etc. Guess the perk in that is they never grasped any techniques they were taught anyhow.
Besides that smu isn't really a bar ANYONE should want to set. Like I said no one we play as of now will test us too tough. The bar you need to play up to is national competition & guess what we get exposed in a bad way if the line isn't on point when we go up against that... Clemson is probably gonna be the first test we get and the only relevant one. Only other possibility is Notre dame

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back