Phil Steele Top 25

Advertisement
They had a young team last year. Therefore, this should be their year to make noise.
I've got a player out there that used to be on one of our 7 v 7s. He's competing for a starting job, but he's got a serious uphill battle.

Last edited:
Steele was on a podcast semi-recently (maybe Andy Staples) and said that teams that lose a ton of close games tend to “balance out”. He’s also a big fan of teams that play defense. I’m not surprised he has us this high.

They’d need #1 talent to overcome Dumbo’s corching and play like a #5 team.

Their biggest problem is Mond. He'll make a run of good and even great plays and then do something so dumb it defies description. He'll cost them games more than Jimbo.

Steele was on a podcast semi-recently (maybe Andy Staples) and said that teams that lose a ton of close games tend to “balance out”. He’s also a big fan of teams that play defense. I’m not surprised he has us this high.
Then why the **** does he have USC 11th? I get that they had a young team last year, but their defense sucked last year, and they have yet to field a good defense under Clay Helton.

Advertisement
Texas A&M stinks...and they're not getting any better by having that dork Dumbo Fisher as their HC.

Dumbo only won at FSU because he had a very good COLLEGE QB and an outstanding RB (who should've been at Miami). Golden losing to him 4 (5?) times goes to show how much of a **** Golden really was.

A&M going to the SEC is the dumbest thing they could've done. They'll never be more than the 5th best team in that conference.

Texas AM at 5 is, by far, the craziest thing in that poll, yet, of course, the self-loathing UM fans need to point out how there's no way we can finish 17th. 17th? Is that some sort of high bar around here?

10 wins on a short season has to be a Top 8 finish.

I've always loved being ranked last in every poll and enjoy the ride up as were underdogs to every team just something I enjoy . Like going into Penn state or Michigan in the old days even playing Auburn in the kickoff classic or Texas in the Cotton Bowl the list is long an distinguished in ruining the big hero teams.

Always enjoyed the ride to rings and spoiling all the smart peoples day.

IT'S A CANE THING.

Advertisement
This wont happen often … but I have to say I disagree, El. aTm was a pretty tough out last year. They lost to Clemson (away), Auburn (home), Alabama (home), Georgia (away) and LSU in Baton Rouge. They may not have seemed like they would win, but they didn’t look like a 5 loss team either (Auburn played LSU within 3 in Death Valley and beat Alabama. Again, I know you know).

The only question I have, because they’ve been recruiting like crazy, is has Mond improved to win the games they’re not supposed to. And that division is sick. I’m giving Steele the benefit of the doubt on this one,
FACTS !!!!!!!!

Advertisement
I got Steele's guide for years. He doesn't rank teams based on pure talent. Rather, he factors in schedule heavily. He very much takes into account players lost and added. It's a detailed betting guide.
He has two sets of rankings. His Top 25 and his Power Rankings.

His power rankings lean heavily on talent and recruiting rankings. Players who were deemed VHT (very highly talented) or HT (highly talented) as recruits weigh a lot in his power rankings. He doesn't factor in coaching as much as he probably should. He often had Miami in or around the top 25 while Al Golden was here.

His top 25 takes into account schedule and win probability. A really talented team with a tough schedule might be ranked higher in his power rankings than his top 25 ranking. Whereas a team that's not incredibly talented but plays an easy schedule will get the bump in top 25.

Their biggest problem is Mond. He'll make a run of good and even great plays and then do something so dumb it defies description. He'll cost them games more than Jimbo.
Cuckbo's had a few years to replace Mond, so if he's still losing because of Mond, then he's losing because of himself. Cuckbo had that 2 year super run with Crabs and Cook. Other than that, he's been super average in light of the talent he's accumulated.

Cuckbo's had a few years to replace Mond, so if he's still losing because of Mond, then he's losing because of himself. Cuckbo had that 2 year super run with Crabs and Cook. Other than that, he's been super average in light of the talent he's accumulated.
Maybe Candy wouldn't let him.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back