Phil Steele Top 25

Advertisement
Interesting. All my HS buddies went to A&M. Will have to see what they think about Mond and the rest of the Aggies team. As to Miami, we’re sandwiches between Va Tech and UNC at #17. I think I’d love to believe that starting off the 2020 season. Just not sure I’d have ya ranked that high, probably @#24
Mond is still there? Is he getting the Hunter Renfrow degree?

Under no circumstances is TAMU a top 5 team, by any metric or by eye test.
This wont happen often … but I have to say I disagree, El. aTm was a pretty tough out last year. They lost to Clemson (away), Auburn (home), Alabama (home), Georgia (away) and LSU in Baton Rouge. They may not have seemed like they would win, but they didn’t look like a 5 loss team either (Auburn played LSU within 3 in Death Valley and beat Alabama. Again, I know you know).

The only question I have, because they’ve been recruiting like crazy, is has Mond improved to win the games they’re not supposed to. And that division is sick. I’m giving Steele the benefit of the doubt on this one,

Advertisement
Advertisement
Mond is still there? Is he getting the Hunter Renfrow degree?
🤣 yeah he’s still there. He’s actually not bad. It’s the offensive play calling followed with being vastly overrated on defense that won’t get the Aggies over the hump anytime soon. They were young last season but I just don’t see Jimbo eclipsing Saban and Coach O anytime soon.

Very disappointed that UiF is so low. I want them at #1 in every poll possible.

Advertisement
Advertisement
TAMU is not a top 5 team & no amount close loses will change that.

1) Kellen Mond is an extremely pedestrian QB with very bad pocket presence & a horrible throwing motion.

2) They lost a lot of production at WR with Quartney Davis & Kendrick Rogers going to the NFL, they still have good options in Ausbon & Wydermyer, but they don't have dynamic playmakers that can give them an edge to exploit the Defenses they'll face in the SEC, they're a pretty easy team to shutdown due to how average Mond is.

3) They've lost 3 DT's over the last 2 years to the draft in Kingsley Keke, Daylon Mack & Justin Madubuike, they have Bobby Brown who's going to be really good, but other than that their Defensive front line doesn't have any premier pass rushers or run stoppers. Last year they only had one player that had 5 sacks on their whole team & that was Madubuike who got drafted. Their LB corps is solid, but they have no pass rushers & their CB group is weak, they added JUCO Brian George, but the rest of the group is all big slow corners who rarely make plays on the ball. Their turnover percentage is super low. They don't get sacks & they don't force turnovers.

4) Jumbo Fisher without an elite QB & RB is still Jumbo Fisher. This ain't FSU pre-playoff era, in order to make it out of the SEC west you gotta overcome LSU, Bama & Auburn, he doesn't have anywhere close to as good a Defense as them nor does he have the QB to strike fear in any of their hearts.

5) TAMU was ranked 72nd in total offense last year, 68th in rushing & was 41st against the pass on Defense, they haven't added significant talent to their secondary, nor have they added a top tier pass rusher, nor have they fixed or improved their QB play. Simply put, they're a middle of the road SEC team, they're exactly 8-5.

Also the offense Jumbo runs with Darrell ****ey is old & outdated, they run that dink & dunk Captain checkdown ultra safe RPO offense that's not conducive to big plays & can be shutdown easily once you stop the run. Jumbo can't operate unless he has a game changer at QB & Mond is the exact opposite of that lol.
6) If we play without fans or with few fans, the vaunted Koyle Field will not provide cover for them.

Texas AM at 5 is, by far, the craziest thing in that poll, yet, of course, the self-loathing UM fans need to point out how there's no way we can finish 17th. 17th? Is that some sort of high bar around here?

They’re so damaged. Remember, there’s people in this fanbase making threads saying “what are the positives of no football” lmao

Advertisement
Back