PFF had 0 pressures recorded….

Advertisement
PFF has us as currently ranked as:

#8 Pass Blocking team
#15 Run Blocking team

The only team in the Top 15 for both. As far as OL play goes - it doesn't get much better than this.

And we’re wasting it with a floundering QB and of course another struggling OC

I think part of that is trying to make sure a broken down TVD isnt taking any shots. I agree though, at this point you have to make a change to Emory if TVD is so banged up you cant run your normal offense.

We have gotten by with smoke and mirrors the past 2 weeks but the playbook is now out, need to take off the training wheels and let the chips fall
Its been max protect even when tvd was healthy, teams have just adjusted. Times for us to counter

By UVA defense, so my eyes weren’t lying to me. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that in a college football game. They dropped 8 in coverage most of the time and barely blitz.

UVA is pretty much using the same game plan that other defenses have been using vs TVD.

Not going to pin this all on TVD. He’s playing injured and even when he wasn’t, he still has trouble vs zone coverage.

Dawson hasn’t adjusted or made changes to this offense since the bye week. To me, he has become a bigger problem than I ever anticipated from not using tight ends & running backs (save me the excuses on that). After rewatching the game and looking at more stats, Dawson is an issue. ******* unbelievable.

Will anything change vs a good NCST defense whom has a **** offense aside from one decent freshman WR??
I'm not knocking your assessment , just saying if Tyler makes a few better reads in that game it's a whole different story.... Yes there's plenty of blame to throw around and deservedly so but plenty of us watched those plays develop and saw who was open and where the ball ended up going...

Advertisement
Pass offense just needs a few tweaks and tvd has to play alot better. Im more concerned with our run game having consistency, imo the gameplan should switch to more run heavy and more play action but idk if its consistent enough for us to build a gameplan around it

For example tvd played 2 of his worst games and against gtech be threw 38 times and against uva he threw 30 times. If the qb is struggling and committing the worst sin with turning it over why are we still throwing so much?

Pass offense just needs a few tweaks and tvd has to play alot better. Im more concerned with our run game having consistency, imo the gameplan should switch to more run heavy and more play action but idk if its consistent enough for us to build a gameplan around it

For example tvd played 2 of his worst games and against gtech be threw 38 times and against uva he threw 30 times. If the qb is struggling and committing the worst sin with turning it over why are we still throwing so much?
IMO, we struggle with the run because so many extra players just focus on it because we aren’t making adjustments and scheming some easier passes to take advantage and at the same time, the QB, when he has some other open options, he’s missing the reads or missing the throws.

Until the QB starts to hit on those, running will get harder.

IMO, we struggle with the run because so many extra players just focus on it because we aren’t making adjustments and scheming some easier passes to take advantage and at the same time, the QB, when he has some other open options, he’s missing the reads or missing the throws.

Until the QB starts to hit on those, running will get harder.
I think it’s some of this on top of the run game lacking creativity, and the talent being mediocre.

But one extra thing i have noticed but i dont have numbers to back it up but we seem to run better when we are in pistol and a te leads the way like a full back, hopefully we get more of that and then play action

We should be so much better offensively with this OL, it's maddening
20231101_082957.png

Advertisement
Maybe Tyler is just on some next level ****. He purposely throws a pic when not under pressure just to train defenses. He'll be a hero as a goes 6-6 and a TD on the game winning drive as a bewildered FSU fan base screams at Randy Shannon to just blitz once.

Pardon my mope interjection…

But outside of our 6-2 record it be nice to have some statistical flash to show from that. Leading passer in the ACC, leading rusher in the ACC, top 10 nationally in either? Nope.

But there’s a QB who’s been sacked 41 times this year who’s thrown for 2,600, 22 TDs with 5 picks. Not about the other QB but it just goes to show there are people doing way more with considerable less protection

I'm 100% with you. I've said this a million times here - a great OL isn't a cure all. A great OL doesn't just magically turn good skill position players into great players.

QB's that struggle with accuracy, reading defenses, arm strength, etc. still have the same issues - you'll just see them less behind a great OL
RB's that struggle with yards after contact, elusiveness, speed, etc. still have the same issues - you'll just see them less behind a great OL

TVD's stats are still really good overall - He's #1 in the ACC in Completion %, #1 in Rating, and #4 in Yds per attempt. He's just 6th in attempts.

But he'll still be inconsistent and make some bad reads & throws, even with great protection. The OL can only do so much.

Of the 30 pass attempts against UVA, only 6 were against the blitz. No reason to bring pressure when you can drop 7 or 8 every down and the opponent can't do anything about it.

For whatever reason, we continue to keep the tight end and running back in to block when they're not bringing any extra pressure. Because blocking is more important than actually gaining yards and scoring points.

Of the 30 pass attempts against UVA, only 6 were against the blitz. No reason to bring pressure when you can drop 7 or 8 every down and the opponent can't do anything about it.

For whatever reason, we continue to keep the tight end and running back in to block when they're not bringing any extra pressure. Because blocking is more important than actually gaining yards and scoring points.
You’d think we’d take advantage of a well placed screen game… swing pass or something???

Advertisement
By UVA defense, so my eyes weren’t lying to me. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that in a college football game. They dropped 8 in coverage most of the time and barely blitz.

UVA is pretty much using the same game plan that other defenses have been using vs TVD.

Not going to pin this all on TVD. He’s playing injured and even when he wasn’t, he still has trouble vs zone coverage.

Dawson hasn’t adjusted or made changes to this offense since the bye week. To me, he has become a bigger problem than I ever anticipated from not using tight ends & running backs (save me the excuses on that). After rewatching the game and looking at more stats, Dawson is an issue. ******* unbelievable.

Will anything change vs a good NCST defense whom has a **** offense aside from one decent freshman WR??
Here’s where I get confused.
I keep reading that defenses are packing the box, making it tough for our ground game.
Then I read that they are dropping eight in coverage.
Can both be true at the same time?

Here’s where I get confused.
I keep reading that defenses are packing the box, making it tough for our ground game.
Then I read that they are dropping eight in coverage.
Can both be true at the same time?
On the early downs (for sure 1st down, as we rarely throw in that down), they pack the box and then depending on the yardage gained (2nd & long, 3rd & 4 and longer, they are dropping 8) but I am not the Xs & O guru here.

That’s more for @WestEndzone, @Lance Roffers, etc. They can get more into detail with better evidence.

I havent watched many UVA or Clemson games this year, does anyone know if they primarily played man/blitzed often all year? If yes and Dawson is drawing up his game plan to go against what the team normally does he needs to abandon that approach and realize defensive teams are going to sit back until we prove we can beat them so having max protect while 3 WR run into an 8 man coverage scheme is not ideal. Yes TVD needs to be better but Dawson also needs to step up.

Advertisement
Arrow routes with B Smith lined up in the backfield would destroy the way teams are playing against us.

On the early downs (for sure 1st down, as we rarely throw in that down), they pack the box and then depending on the yardage gained (2nd & long, 3rd & 4 and longer, they are dropping 8) but I am not the Xs & O guru here.

That’s more for @WestEndzone, @Lance Roffers, etc. They can get more into detail with better evidence.
Not an offense guy, but during the game I was thinking we should start throwing on first down—either play action or regular drop back. UVA was gambling a bit on first down by their alignment or by bringing pressure.

I just don’t think Dawson had faith in TVD to execute well enough and risk us being in worse situations on third down.

that's where I think we could come out and surprise the crap out of FSU... have the TE's and RB's chip block, instead of full protect, and roll out for some routes. I'm fine with Cam not really a YAC guy, if he just does a ton of 7-8yrd dump off routes... have the RB's chip block and roll out to the side that has our best blocking WR's... (X & Young)

Idk.. Dawson really needs to show some obvious adjusting and creativity... really hoping TVD was more banged up than they let out and he wasn't physically not able to throw it deep in that game..

Advertisement
Back