PFF Analyst Predicts Canes Win It All

Advertisement

Miami at #10 in ESPN preseason rankings. Bill Connelly’s SP+ ranks the Canes #8.

This is a crucial year for CMD. He has the players and assistant coaches needed to get back to the elite of college football. No excuses for not making a NY6 or expanded CFP Playoff this season.

#BringonBama
tumblr_nf5jj2wqKd1qmwidzo1_500.gif

LOL the same analyst, PFF Seth Galina, just released his Top 20 College Football Corches List and Manny Diath is not on there

Nor should he be on there. Even if we somehow pulled it off he would maybe crack the top 35. It would take sustained success, maybe back to back to back historic seasons for him to crack the top 20. While I think Manny is making the right moves so far, he still has a lot to prove.

Advertisement
I believe Bama will have a down year. Not down enough that we beat them but enough that they may miss the playoff. Way too much offense went out the door with inexperience starting this year. Bama reloads but they usually have some kind of star power from the previous year.

-Jones got meaningful playing time after Tua went down. Young was all mop up and hasn't thrown more than 4 passes in a game.
-Harris was a heisman hopeful going into last season. They don't even know who the starter is yet this year.
-They lost Riggs and Jeudy last year but Smith was their best WR that year and Waddle was proven. No WR had close to 500 yards coming into this year.

Throw on top of that the OC change and I could see a real struggle this season. A real struggle still might only be two losses though.

Let me let you in on a secret man. Everybody everywhere believes they can beat Bama in July. That’s what coaches get paid to do , instill beliefs. I will say this though this is a mature team, battle tested. They are not afraid of the boogey man. They know the stage is big but they’re ready. If you want my honest opinion I think at least for the first half we’re gonna come out on fire
We should give Bama a **** of a game but if we don’t, we all know why. It would be like the LSU game a couple of years ago. We shoot ourselves in the foot and play undisciplined football. I think this game will dictate whether Manny is built to take UM to the ship one day. Also this will be another year where we will continue to question the defense.

Let me let you in on a secret man. Everybody everywhere believes they can beat Bama in July. That’s what coaches get paid to do , instill beliefs. I will say this though this is a mature team, battle tested. They are not afraid of the boogey man. They know the stage is big but they’re ready. If you want my honest opinion I think at least for the first half we’re gonna come out on fire
The experience from the opener against Florida in 2019 is going to pay dividends against Bama. We have 22 guys still on the team who were in the two deep for that game.

Advertisement
Nor should he be on there. Even if we somehow pulled it off he would maybe crack the top 35. It would take sustained success, maybe back to back to back historic seasons for him to crack the top 20. While I think Manny is making the right moves so far, he still has a lot to prove.
I agree. The point is how can this guy expect Miami to win a natty without a top 20 coach? It's not like this team is proven and loaded like it was in 2001. It just doesn't make any sense.

Edit: Maybe he thinks we're Auburn and Deriq King is our Cam Newton?

It’s not really that ridiculous if you consider the schedule. The most likely loss is week 1 (the best week to lose a game). The rest of the schedule is all winnable games with only North Carolina being a possible favorite against Miami. At that point, it’s only an unlikely but not impossible win against Clemson keeping Miami out of the playoff. A one loss ACC champion is a shoo in. Especially if that one loss is to Alabama.

Not really considering we have some of the best RB's in the country.
So your comment got me thinking. Since the playoff era. There have been 20 QBs who have started a playoff game. For the Natty figure I included Winston's in 2013, the year before the playoff started. As well, I gave credit to both Tua and Hurts for that win over Georgia.

Total QBsDraftedFirst RoundFirst Overall
20​
15​
8​
5​
75%​
40%​
25%​
Won NattyDraftedFirst RoundFirst Overall
9​
8​
6​
3​
89%​
67%​
33%​

RoundPick #NattyYear of Natty
1. Joe Burrow, LSU, 20191st1stYes
2019​
2. Trevor Lawrence, Clemson, 20181st1stYes
2018​
16. Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma, 20151st1st
15. Kyler Murray, Oklahoma, 20181st1st

10. Jameis Winston, Florida State, 2014
1st1stYes
2013​
5. Marcus Mariota, Oregon, 20141st2nd
6. Tua Tagovailoa, Alabama, 20171st5thYes
2017​
9. Justin Fields, Ohio State, 20191st11th
3. Deshaun Watson, Clemson, 20161st12thYes
2016​
Mac Jones, Alabama 20211st15thYes
2020​
12. Jalen Hurts, Alabama, 20172nd53rdYes 2017
25. Connor Cook, Michigan State, 20154th100th

21. Ian Book, Notre Dame, 2018
4th133rd
11. Cardale Jones, Ohio State, 20144th139thYes
2014​
14. Jake Fromm, Georgia, 20175th167th
20. Blake Sims, Alabama, 2014
22. Kelly Bryant, Clemson, 2017
23. Jake Browning, Washington, 2016
24. J.T. Barrett, Ohio State, 2016
8. Jake Coker, Alabama, 2015Yes
2015​

Finally got around to listening to this podcast this morning. Great insight from Coach Staley on the how+why of his scheme if anyone is interested. Definitely @Coach Macho should hear it.

But later on after Staley left the hosts shared some stats from their CFB research and the guy who picked Miami to win it all said he isolated sideline vertical routes in the PFF database and found that Miami WRs graded out the worst in the nation on those routes. So I think his logic is that Miami will do better on those plays which will lead to positive regression for big plays and TDs.

tl;dr get Pope and Wiggins out of the lineup and the offense should moon.

Advertisement

LMFAO please name 20 head coaches, let alone 35, in CFB today that have had "sustained success."

Advertisement
LMFAO please name 20 head coaches, let alone 35, in CFB today that have had "sustained success."
You respond like he’s a no brainer top 20 coach. I’m genuinely curiously. Where would you rank Manny on a list of top coaches?

You respond like he’s a no brainer top 20 coach. I’m genuinely curiously. Where would you rank Manny on a list of top coaches?

The guy in increased his win total, brought in a Top 10,” caliber class that included the best players in Dade that we usually lose, revamped the entire offense, brought in stud defensive recruiters without paying a buyout, is working on a great 2021 class and is consistently ranked in the Top 15 preseason.

Who’s done more in 2 1/2 years?

Your metric for being ranked in the top 20 is "sustained success." You state it like 20 coaches consistently win 10 games a year when it's like 6.

My point wasn't he's a top 20 coach. My point is if you're trying to find 20 coaches that win consistently in this day and age of CFB, you won't.

Last edited:
The guy in increased his win total, brought in a Top 10,” caliber class that included the best players in Dade that we usually lose, revamped the entire offense, brought in stud defensive recruiters without paying a buyout, is working on a great 2021 class and is consistently ranked in the Top 15 preseason.

Who’s done more in 2 1/2 years?

And just put two guys into the first round, one of whom was a 3 star recruit, and the other previously having retired from football.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back