Peterson stepping down at UW.

Dude has turned down better and bigger jobs than Miami over the years. Stayed at Boise State forever; only took the Washington job because his dad grew up in the area, Petersen was raised a fan and it was a non invasive move to go from Boise to Seattle, opposed to moving across country or even further south—telling the likes of Southern California and Florida "no" over the years.

Even turned down UCLA, who has a world-class medical facility that would've greatly benefitted his son—as quality of family life and an avoidance of any big city living is something he's gone on record of saying he wants no part of.

The University of Miami wouldn't even crack his Top 25 of jobs he'd be interested in based on his family and their lifestyle. Enough with this, "just give him a blank check" or "our admin is too dumb to go get him" nonsense.

He is a pnw guy. Can’t see the Miami job appealing to him. I’ve watched a lot of uw games, he never had the same magic at uw that he had with Boise.

btw - uw has a better cancer research/treatment facility than UCLA. So that would not have been a benefit to his son.

Advertisement
he was the first choice when golden was hired.

actually, he was pretty interested, and had two meeting/interviews. one was in Chicago I believe. ironically the same hotel that paul dee interviewed barry alvarez the night after barry swore he had no interest in the job when dennis left. (coaches lie worse than politicians and used car salesmen).

the hook for Miami a the time was the medical care and support his son needed is world class at UM. that was something UM pushed and it almost worked.

at the end, he decided otherwise.

I agree his style might not be to the UM community's preference, but nothing changes minds like W's.

also agree that at this point in his life, UM is not a fit for him.
God, I don't need to hear this. He would've crushed it here. Peterson would be fine at Miami, he's a nice guy but he wouldn't put up with any **** and he'd be in charge of the kids unlike Manny. The culture thing is overplayed, the kids will respect whoever demands their respect and actually knows what they're doing.

I remember this. Petersen and Miami actually spoke before shortly after Shannon was fired. It was closer than a lot people realize. I remember at one point they gave him an offer, and he turned it down and Kirby Hocutt and the BOT doubled back and dropped another milli on top but at the time, he thought it wasn't a good fit for him and his family.

If true, another run of bad luck. Program actually identified a good coach and offered him. What if. He probably turns Miami into what FSU was and wins a couple rings, only without the rapists and seafood thieves.

God, I don't need to hear this. He would've crushed it here. Peterson would be fine at Miami, he's a nice guy but he wouldn't put up with any **** and he'd be in charge of the kids unlike Manny. The culture thing is overplayed, the kids will respect whoever demands their respect and actually knows what they're doing.

The kids definitely feared him at uw. He is a no-nonsense kinda guy. Don’t know why his offense at uw didn’t seem as dynamic as it did at Boise.

Advertisement
I remember this. Petersen and Miami actually spoke before shortly after Shannon was fired. It was closer than a lot people realize. I remember at one point they gave him an offer, and he turned it down and Kirby Hocutt and the BOT doubled back and dropped another milli on top but at the time, he thought it wasn't a good fit for him and his family.

If true, then that hurts. He was definitely the guy I wanted for UM HC back then. But I always had the impression that he never had any interest in moving East, and especially not to Miami.

If true, then that hurts. He was definitely the guy I wanted for UM HC back then. But I always had the impression that he never had any interest in moving East, and especially not to Miami.

I recall both UM and UF being in the coach hunt simultaneously. Not only was Gruden's name shared by both schools, but Peterson as well. I think in the end, he did not want to move East to either school.

Advertisement
Back