Peter: ? Re eligibility of M. Williams

Cortez55403

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
In your write up of day 4 today, there's a reference to our new FB, M. Williams, as a 5th year senior. On this and other sites, however, he's listed as a redshirt sophomore. Can you clarify his eligibity to keep playing for the Canes after this season?

I'm hoping he can play 2-3 years with us. His physicality as a blocker and nimbleness as a pass catcher are great additions to our team. Love to keep him around.

Thanks.

Advertisement
Marquez Williams Bio - University of Miami Hurricanes Official Athletic Site

he's a Redshirt Sophomore

As noted before, Richt will use a fullback. He is impressed with Division 2 transfer Marquez Williams (“that’s what a fullback should look like,” he said of the 6-2, 280-pound redshirt sophomore) but that doesn’t mean Williams has the job locked up. Senior Gage Batten, who missed the spring with a foot injury but is expected to be ready for camp, was the starter last year (leading to senior Walter Tucker’s transfer). Swiss Army knife Chris Herndon (6-4, 255) played a little fullback in the spring (Richt praised his ability at that spot). UM track thrower Gian Piero Ragonesi (6-0, 270) has the right frame, but hasn’t played football; he’s a project. Another walk-on, sophomore Cesar Castillo (6-2, 245) from Florida Tech via Jupiter High, will try to make an impact.

Last edited:

I believe thats incorrect, even the description says "Prior to Miami: Started three years at Mars Hill University (N.C.)…Two-time All-South Atlantic Conference honoree, earning first-team honors in 2015…Earned all-region honors as a redshirt sophomore in 2014."

He is a grad transfer and this is his only year of eligibility left.

He even states it at 2:30 here:
https://youtu.be/KK94BO1ON9g?t=2m32s

Last edited:
Miami Hurricanes add scholarship fullback Marquez Williams to roster | Canes Watch

This article mentions him coming in as a RS Sophomore. A matter of fact every article I have read list him as that way.

Mars Hill website said he was a RS Sophomore last year which would make him a RS Junior this year

Marquez Williams - Mars Hill University

Of course UM's website has him as a RS Sophomore which is how we list him.

Here is our eligibility chart
https://www.canesinsight.com/player/eligibilitychart.php?team=5

Advertisement
OP here. Confusion reigns!

Coincidentally, TOS (Rivals) had a special feature on and interview with Williams today. He clarified that he has just one year of eligibility left. Too bad. He's gonna add some value to the Canes!

Well I'm glad we were able to clear that all up.

I think we are still trying to figure out Armbrister's eligibility.

Advertisement

I believe thats incorrect, even the description says "Prior to Miami: Started three years at Mars Hill University (N.C.)…Two-time All-South Atlantic Conference honoree, earning first-team honors in 2015…Earned all-region honors as a redshirt sophomore in 2014."

He is a grad transfer and this is his only year of eligibility left.

He even states it at 2:30 here:
https://youtu.be/KK94BO1ON9g?t=2m32s

I was wondering what happened to the delivery guy from the Miller Lite commercials.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back