Pete Thamel(yahoo sports) preview to the game.

Advertisement
I would agree that our tackles are vulnerable in the run game. But that probably has just as much to do with the stunting and slanting as it does the guys themselves.
They are but only because of over penetration and creating cutbacks. It was almost embarrassing watching the FSU game because they dominated that FSU OL that bad. They looked like they were roller skating backwards all night.

McCloud Jennings both need to step it up. McCloud has enough speed but is always a step late to the ball. Jennings is noticeably slow. I thought Steed and Cave played very well once they were getting consistent snaps.

Another thing that article doesn’t mention is the play of Bolden and Frierson. Both have been excellent.

Wow @ this quote. Could not be more wrong. I would LOVE to see Clemson be content to let King sit in the pocket. While his accuracy on deep balls has been inconsistent, I do not recall seeing him make one bad read/throw this season. The person that said this either hasn't watched this year or is just being lazy and making an assumption based on his size that he is a run first QB.

King is absolutely, 10000%, an athletic QB who keeps his eyes down field and wants to throw first, run second.

“I think he’ll struggle with these guys,” an assistant coach predicted. “They’ll mix it up enough to make him sit in pocket. I’d be shocked if he can get to the edge. I think they’ll make him sit in the pocket. I don’t think he’s a pocket quarterback. He’s 5-9, he’s not going to sit there and beat you in the pocket. That’s not what he does best. He’s not going to sit back there and beat you. Make him read the defense.”

right or wrong, that quote reads like it came from someone that has taken one too many hits to the head.

Lots and lots of salt and backhanded compliments coming from those opposing coaches. That's fine.

We win on turnover and special teams we win. They do not have better athletes. They do have their recent history, better coaches, and it's in their house, QB is special. Spread at 14 is appropriate. We likely can't win unless we create turnover and win special teams.

Advertisement
I would agree that our tackles are vulnerable in the run game. But that probably has just as much to do with the stunting and slanting as it does the guys themselves.
I think it's the stunting that's the problem. I haven't seen any of our tackles physically dominated by an offensive lineman not once. And we have seen Nesta and JHH show their ability to physically dominate an opponent. Our problem inside is that we twist and stunt ourselves out of the play. I dont expect to see it stop either. It is what it is.

They are but only because of over penetration and creating cutbacks. It was almost embarrassing watching the FSU game because they dominated that FSU OL that bad. They looked like they were roller skating backwards all night.

McCloud Jennings both need to step it up. McCloud has enough speed but is always a step late to the ball. Jennings is noticeably slow. I thought Steed and Cave played very well once they were getting consistent snaps.

Another thing that article doesn’t mention is the play of Bolden and Frierson. Both have been excellent.
McCloud has no quickness and lacks instinct. This is just like Patchan starting over Rousseau last season.

McCloud has no quickness and lacks instinct. This is just like Patchan starting over Rousseau last season.
Speed and quickness are two very different things. I agree McCloud isn’t quick. His overall speed is sufficient though. Jennings has neither.

Advertisement
Speed and quickness are two very different things. I agree McCloud isn’t quick. His overall speed is sufficient though. Jennings has neither.
At the linebacker position short area quickness is more important than overall speed. Bottom line is we need more athleticism at the position. Especially in a scheme like ours where defensive lineman usually do not engage blockers while playing the run.

I'm really surprised people are sold on our OL given how absolutely abysmal we were last year and who we've played so far this year.

The line is going to struggle in this game.
So do you think having a baked potato at QB and Dan Enos as OC had little to do with the OL looking like dog crap?

So do you think having a baked potato at QB and Dan Enos as OC had little to do with the OL looking like dog crap?

No, I think it had plenty to do with it. But it doesn't change the fact we couldn't get push on third and short. That doesn't change overnight with the same group of people.

Advertisement
No, I think it had plenty to do with it. But it doesn't change the fact we couldn't get push on third and short. That doesn't change overnight with the same group of people.
Hard for 5 guys to push 8. It was more about scheme than simple inability. Enos was a horrible, horrible OC. New, young O-linemen? ****, let's make it to where the D can put 11 men and the box and confuse the **** out of them. I'm telling you, Enos was the worst OC hire Diaz could have possibly made. He made a young, inexperienced line shell-shocked by asking them to do the impossible.

Advertisement
Thamel's facial expressions in that video were so ***. He looked like he was on the late night prowl for some dyck. LMAO

Hard for 5 guys to push 8. It was more about scheme than simple inability. Enos was a horrible, horrible OC. New, young O-linemen? ****, let's make it to where the D can put 11 men and the box and confuse the **** out of them. I'm telling you, Enos was the worst OC hire Diaz could have possibly made. He made a young, inexperienced line shell-shocked by asking them to do the impossible.

Well, you can sit here all day and talk about potential, and that's fine. Until I SEE it against an above average DL, I'm not convinced.

Advertisement
Back