Pete Thamel(yahoo sports) preview to the game.

ajone228

Recruit
Advertisement
He lists 5 keys to the game. Most interesting part to me is the quotes from opposing coaches on different units of our team.

No surprise they are ****ting on the team. The problem is at LB, not DT.

Advertisement
I would agree that our tackles are vulnerable in the run game. But that probably has just as much to do with the stunting and slanting as it does the guys themselves.
But also Jon Ford has been meh... And I forgot Jordan Miller was on the team until last game. Silvera is the only one disrupting like that

The confusing part to me is the assistant who said King can't sit in the pocket and pick the defense apart...

Hard to disagree with any of the quotes.
1. Jennings and McCloud are stiff. PLAY THE YOUNG GUYS! I don't know what's asked of our DTs when defending the run but they've looked decent.
2. Compared to top teams, our OL is quite average. It's improved some in pass-protection but we're still having issues with penalties and holes aren't opening up in the run game.
3. This isn't the same Clemson. The 2020 version of the team is beatable since they lost so many players on both sides of the ball.
4. While I'm not certain if we'll win or not, I am certain that Veneables will try to keep D'Eriq in the pocket. I'm excited to see what Lashlee does to combat this.

Advertisement
But also Jon Ford has been meh... And I forgot Jordan Miller was on the team until last game. Silvera is the only one disrupting like that

The confusing part to me is the assistant who said King can't sit in the pocket and pick the defense apart...
Forgot about jhh?

Advertisement
Just doesnt make sense for us to have same defensive staff for 5 years, HC who is LB coach, DC who is lb coach and another LB coach, have 4th and 5th year players and we dont have better LB play..

Still being haunted by Onofrio. I think LB prospects born 30 years from now are gonna look at the defense... or lack thereof... we ran and quickly look elsewhere.

Advertisement
O-line is above average. DT’s are above average. King will kill you in pocket. No wonder why the ACC is so bad. These assistants are clueless.

I'm really surprised people are sold on our OL given how absolutely abysmal we were last year and who we've played so far this year.

The line is going to struggle in this game.

Wow @ this quote. Could not be more wrong. I would LOVE to see Clemson be content to let King sit in the pocket. While his accuracy on deep balls has been inconsistent, I do not recall seeing him make one bad read/throw this season. The person that said this either hasn't watched this year or is just being lazy and making an assumption based on his size that he is a run first QB.

King is absolutely, 10000%, an athletic QB who keeps his eyes down field and wants to throw first, run second.

“I think he’ll struggle with these guys,” an assistant coach predicted. “They’ll mix it up enough to make him sit in pocket. I’d be shocked if he can get to the edge. I think they’ll make him sit in the pocket. I don’t think he’s a pocket quarterback. He’s 5-9, he’s not going to sit there and beat you in the pocket. That’s not what he does best. He’s not going to sit back there and beat you. Make him read the defense.”

Wow @ this quote. Could not be more wrong. I would LOVE to see Clemson be content to let King sit in the pocket. While his accuracy on deep balls has been inconsistent, I do not recall seeing him make one bad read/throw this season. The person that said this either hasn't watched this year or is just being lazy and making an assumption based on his size that he is a run first QB.

King is absolutely, 10000%, an athletic QB who keeps his eyes down field and wants to throw first, run second.

“I think he’ll struggle with these guys,” an assistant coach predicted. “They’ll mix it up enough to make him sit in pocket. I’d be shocked if he can get to the edge. I think they’ll make him sit in the pocket. I don’t think he’s a pocket quarterback. He’s 5-9, he’s not going to sit there and beat you in the pocket. That’s not what he does best. He’s not going to sit back there and beat you. Make him read the defense.”
Spoken like a dude that hasn't watched King this season, they'll see

Advertisement
Back