Pete says not Butch

Advertisement
Pete just said Mike Shula? WTF?

Pete's just throwing ***** against the wall at this point.

And if Miami was stupid enough to hire Mike Shula, Mike wouldn't last the season. The fans would revolt.

Now I think Pete is drunk on victory juice. Mike Shula? Is he even around football? His Dad was a football god but please. I was hoping they would announce Butch immediately so he could get started with recruiting. If not Butch then I am not sure who I want.

Apparently, for the last 4 years he has been the QB coach and Offensive Coordinator for the Carolina Panthers

Pete, congrads on scooping everyone on Al getting fired. I can only hope you used up your luck with that. I want Butch to start NOW.

Advertisement
They gotta interview the guy. No matter how many "eye rolls" certain pinkies up BOT members give.

Pete just said Mike Shula? WTF?

Pete's just throwing ***** against the wall at this point.

And if Miami was stupid enough to hire Mike Shula, Mike wouldn't last the season. The fans would revolt.

Now I think Pete is drunk on victory juice. Mike Shula? Is he even around football? His Dad was a football god but please. I was hoping they would announce Butch immediately so he could get started with recruiting. If not Butch then I am not sure who I want.

Apparently, for the last 4 years he has been the QB coach and Offensive Coordinator for the Carolina Panthers
I think he was the QB Coach when Chud was the OC. Moved up to OC when Chud left for Cleveland and Dorsey stepped in as QB Coach.

i hate to say it. two people i trust told me they dont think it will be butch.
Lol. All season you've been saying recruits were told Butch would be the next coach now you have two people saying Butch ain't coming? I call BS on your fake insider troll job.

Mike Shula resume
1988–1990 Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Offensive Asst.)
1991–1992 Miami Dolphins (Coaches' Asst.)
1993–1995 Chicago Bears (TE Coach)
1996–1999 Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Offensive coordinator)
2000–2002 Miami Dolphins (QB Coach)
2003–2006 Alabama (Head coach)
2007–2010 Jacksonville Jaguars (QB Coach)
2011–2012 Carolina Panthers (QB Coach)
2013–present Carolina Panthers (Offensive coordinator)

Advertisement
I believe he's the coach who Barry Jackson said his agent has reached out to UM already

Advertisement
Dino Babers is a star in the making in the coaching ranks. His offense is truly deadly. He's basically Art Briles in the beginning stages. I'm not saying he's the guy I'd hire, but he's this selection processes Kevin Sumlin.

Tom Herman is a guy who would kill here. Learned under the tutelage of an all-timer, creative. Alabama actually came to him to steal stuff from his offense that they openly use this year. He's not going to be the guy though. He'll have his pick after this season, and he'll get $4 million, so unless he wants to surprise everyone, this isn't going to be the type of job he'll take. He's from Ohio, and has deep roots to Texas. I like him a lot, but I don't see it.

Justin Fuente is a coach that I'd love. He has some unusual ties to the U. First, his high school team plays in our uniforms. The exact copy of our uniforms at Tulsa Union. Down to the helmet emblem and all. Second, he played QB at Oklahoma for Howard Schnellenberger. Well, he was recruited there anyway. He redshirted the last season of Howard. He runs the TCU spread, but relies heavily on the running game, so he's not a soft, Mike Leach style offense. Note: Dino Babers' Bowling Green team outplayed Memphis, and Memphis needed several trick plays to beat them by 3. Fuente is a midwestern guy, who does not have the type of personality that loves the glitz of a Miami. He's a football lifer who loves the grind. Makes $1.4 million and a manageable buyout. He's known to be the top target for South Carolina.

Brent Venables, DC of Clemson. Why does this guy not get more attention for a job here? He's worked and played under Bill Snyder- a noted magician in the coaching ranks- Bob Stoops, Dabo Swinney. Mark Stoops replaced him as DC at Oklahoma, and that program hasn't exactly been a stalwart since. Venables was up for the Broyles award in 2006 at Oklahoma. At Clemson his defenses have led the nation in yards per play for two seasons in a row. No metric correlates better with winning than yards per play (and also has a wide covariance, which shows consistency and reliability). His defense lost three DT's (including all-conference Grady Jarrett), two 1st round picks (Vic Beasley, Stephone Anthony), a rush end drafted, two DE's, one an honorable mention All-ACC player, a 1st team ACC CB (Garry Peters) and yet they're maybe better this year. He's recruited the heck out of Florida, and has been named a top-10 recruiter in the ACC for several years. If you want to get back to being a dominant defense who runs a one-gap, 4-3 front, presses the **** out of you, and competes to lead the nation in tackles for loss etc. then this guy is for you. I wonder who he'd bring in for his offense, but if he brings a variation of the Chad Morris offense, sign me up for him. I'm hearing he's the guy Virginia wants.

I'm not a fan of any of the guys with Miami ties if Butch isn't an option.

Do guys know Dino Babers is mid-50s? He's not some young, up and comer.

Justin Fuente has proven he can do more with less. But if people are concerned with his ability to recruit, I can accept that criticism. But the guy can coach. Period.

I'm on record as preferring Fuente over Herman, but judging from how well Narduzzi is doing, we'd be getting Herman with more experience than if he came straight from Ohio State. He's recruited Florida, and he competed in some high pressure games. Biggest question for me, does he view Kaaya and Allison as fits for what he wants to do on offense?

Advertisement
I don't have much faith in Pete's predictions as he seems to be wrong more often than right. Also, throwing names out at this point is just speculation IMO. This is the Miami BOT and Flake James were talking about here. These guys have hardly shown in capability to effectively plan ahead in the athletic arena, now people are trying to give credibility that they've decided on who the new head coach will be when they haven't even fired golden yet. I really doubt any of them have had any serious deliberations on this topic beyond speculation and "what if" scenarios. I expect to hear a plethora of potential names floated once they actually can team golden but I'd make a large bet right now that nobody knows for sure who it will be.

First off, Pete was right today and he was the first one to say anything. Second, he's saying names that he is hearing be talked about. Doesn't mean they are the only ones and doesn't mean they will even be interviewed. But if you don't think they've been discussing names, you're delusional

I take exception.

I have zero contacts with any insiders, trustees, players - anyone.

Yet after our asswhipping, many were infuriated Golden wasn't immediately fired - AND I STATED - give it the weekend. That everyone was now infuriated - BOT and fans alike.

Sure as ****, here we are.

Now unless someone comes out with a quote from someone of high rank withing the BOT, I'd say even as stupid as the Administration and BOT have been FOR YEARS - they'd have to be complete idiots to not consider Butch.

Dino Babers is a star in the making in the coaching ranks. His offense is truly deadly. He's basically Art Briles in the beginning stages. I'm not saying he's the guy I'd hire, but he's this selection processes Kevin Sumlin.

Tom Herman is a guy who would kill here. Learned under the tutelage of an all-timer, creative. Alabama actually came to him to steal stuff from his offense that they openly use this year. He's not going to be the guy though. He'll have his pick after this season, and he'll get $4 million, so unless he wants to surprise everyone, this isn't going to be the type of job he'll take. He's from Ohio, and has deep roots to Texas. I like him a lot, but I don't see it.

Justin Fuente is a coach that I'd love. He has some unusual ties to the U. First, his high school team plays in our uniforms. The exact copy of our uniforms at Tulsa Union. Down to the helmet emblem and all. Second, he played QB at Oklahoma for Howard Schnellenberger. Well, he was recruited there anyway. He redshirted the last season of Howard. He runs the TCU spread, but relies heavily on the running game, so he's not a soft, Mike Leach style offense. Note: Dino Babers' Bowling Green team outplayed Memphis, and Memphis needed several trick plays to beat them by 3. Fuente is a midwestern guy, who does not have the type of personality that loves the glitz of a Miami. He's a football lifer who loves the grind. Makes $1.4 million and a manageable buyout. He's known to be the top target for South Carolina.

Brent Venables, DC of Clemson. Why does this guy not get more attention for a job here? He's worked and played under Bill Snyder- a noted magician in the coaching ranks- Bob Stoops, Dabo Swinney. Mark Stoops replaced him as DC at Oklahoma, and that program hasn't exactly been a stalwart since. Venables was up for the Broyles award in 2006 at Oklahoma. At Clemson his defenses have led the nation in yards per play for two seasons in a row. No metric correlates better with winning than yards per play (and also has a wide covariance, which shows consistency and reliability). His defense lost three DT's (including all-conference Grady Jarrett), two 1st round picks (Vic Beasley, Stephone Anthony), a rush end drafted, two DE's, one an honorable mention All-ACC player, a 1st team ACC CB (Garry Peters) and yet they're maybe better this year. He's recruited the heck out of Florida, and has been named a top-10 recruiter in the ACC for several years. If you want to get back to being a dominant defense who runs a one-gap, 4-3 front, presses the **** out of you, and competes to lead the nation in tackles for loss etc. then this guy is for you. I wonder who he'd bring in for his offense, but if he brings a variation of the Chad Morris offense, sign me up for him. I'm hearing he's the guy Virginia wants.

Thanks for the contribution. Please join the coaching tree thread.

Thanks for the contribution. Please join the coaching tree thread.

Sorry, I just kind of listed my thoughts to go with the thread topic of Butch not being the guy. I suppose I should've listed why I'm not a fan of the non-Butch Miami ties guys instead.

Advertisement
Back