Perspective on Rock Bottom and We Byke

Empirical Cane

We are what we repeatedly do.
Like other porsters round these parts, I've been a part (proudly so) of taking organizations from "rock bottom" to "we byke".

Those journeys are difficult: gnashing of teeth, getting the right "gets" into the organization, 1 step forward, 3 steps back, 4 steps forward, etc. etc. etc.

While each situation is different, they ALL share one common fact: unknown.

"Unknown" meaning we had no idea we hit rock bottom until we bounced like a dead cat and already well started our long slow climb to the top of we byke mountain.

Also to this point, we had no idea we byke until we were well past high performance being day-to-day routine and ho hum.

For my fellow porsters who want to ink rock bottom for each new low and we byke at any meaningful sign of life...

The fact of the matter is this: Miami can get much worse from yesterday and quite easily. Miami at some point, will also be much better. We won't know our Canes fought out of the pits of **** for probably 7-12 Ws after, and guess what, hoisting a Natty isn't we byke because that moment occurred 7-12 games before that new hardware finds its rightful place in Coral Gables.

This patch has been disappointing, but I believe in Big Manny so long as he keeps reeling in Top 10 classes. This dramatic play is going to have 3 Acts before the main part of the movie gets underway.

Go Canes!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Hindsight is 20/20.

Many here look at the **** show we’re seeing on the football field with Clydesdale blinders on only seeing what’s transpiring on the field with total disregard for the big picture.

The fact of the matter is Miami didn’t just hire a new head football coach but is totally transforming the ENTIRE athletic department. Obviously, the football program is front and center but there are massive changes to every aspect of how the Miami AD operates.

Many people have an aversion to change and will undermine said change to remain in their comfort zone. 20 years of incompetence won’t be changed in 11 months or 9 games.

Is Mario the answer? Time will tell.

With a good culling of the roster, I might expect next season to look the same record-wise but with better effort and just young guys making mistakes. '24 could be transition to decent play. 2025 should be the launch point. Problem is most people now aren't built for that type of pain for 3 or so years.

Advertisement
With a good culling of the roster, I might expect next season to look the same record-wise but with better effort and just young guys making mistakes. '24 could be transition to decent play. 2025 should be the launch point. Problem is most people now aren't built for that type of pain for 3 or so years.
We are Miami hurricane fans. Trust me, we’re built for the pain

The fact Mario hired Gattis is concerning, to me. Gattis is beyond pathetic. As others have pointed out, EVERYTHING he does is wrong. Every, ****, thing. If this is the type of hire Mario makes, we're done. It's going to be hard to get top 2-3 recruiting classes winning 4-6 games a year, and looking like absolute crap in the process.

The fact Mario hired Gattis is concerning, to me. Gattis is beyond pathetic. As others have pointed out, EVERYTHING he does is wrong. Every, ****, thing. If this is the type of hire Mario makes, we're done. It's going to be hard to get top 2-3 recruiting classes winning 4-6 games a year, and looking like absolute crap in the process.
I can’t imagine that Mario didn’t do any research before hiring Gattis and may very well have believed he hit a home run with the reigning Broyles Award winner. Even those that thought Gattis was a bad hire because of his type of offense (he’s not a spread bro) could have foreseen the complete incompetence of this offense.

Hindsight is 20/20.

He hired steele also. Both hires make me worry about marios hiring.

Advertisement
Not defending GERDis, but let me get this right...

He's from Franklin's coaching tree (to a degree) who spent years on his staff. Hired by Bama then advanced his career role.for a few years at Michigan.

For someone so incomptent, he appears to have several big names fooled for a long run.

Does that make sense?

Like other porsters round these parts, I've been a part (proudly so) of taking organizations from "rock bottom" to "we byke".

Those journeys are difficult: gnashing of teeth, getting the right "gets" into the organization, 1 step forward, 3 steps back, 4 steps forward, etc. etc. etc.

While each situation is different, they ALL share one common fact: unknown.

Unknown meaning we had no idea we hit rock bottom until we bounced like a dead cat and already well started our long slow climb to the top of we byke mountain.

Also to this point, we had no idea we byke until we will well past high performance being day-to-day routine and ho hum.

My fellow porsters want to ink rock bottom for each new low and we byke at any meaningful sign of life.

The fact of the matter is this: Miami can get much worse from yesterday and quite easily. Miami at some point, will also be much better. We won't know our Canes fought out of the pits of **** for probably 7-12 Ws after, and guess what, hoisting a Natty isn't we byke because that moment occurred 7-12 games before that new hardware finds its rightful place in Coral Gables.

This patch has been disappointing, but I believe in Big Manny so long as he keeps reeling in Top 10 classes. This dramatic play is going to have 3 Acts before the main part of the movie gets underway.

Go Canes!

Here for it.

All told this progrum needs a complete rectal cleansing across the board.

Coaching / Personel / Fans / Locker Room Psyche / Weight Room / Scheme

We’ve ( The Brain Trust & Deep Pockets ) put ourselves in this position.

The best part is only those same people making & taking correct actions consistently is the only way things are going to get back on track.

Getting Rad & beginning to organize big fish will pay dividends. Need to continue to push for a roster overhaul & uncovering coaching personnel who provide us with schematic advantages.

Last edited:
Advertisement
He hired steele also. Both hires make me worry about marios hiring.

I can understand Steele. Guy has had it and done it before. He's got knowledge, but his best years are behind him. Not many are successful late in their career and he's been doing it a long time. He's 64 and it's his call on when to retire, but something is amiss. What that is, I can't answer but I'd say it's time to ride off into the sunset from a proud career. Enjoy everything life has to offer including all his family and friends.

He's from Franklin's coaching tree (to a degree) who spent years on his staff. Hired by Bama then advanced his career role.for a few years at Michigan.

For someone so incomptent, he appears to have several big names fooled for a long run.

Does that make sense?

Does that make sense?
Gattis was OC at UM for 1 yr then Harbough wanted to install his old Stanford Offense. Gattis felt He wasnt appreciated then dipped to Miami for 1.8 million a year. He didn’t do **** at Alabama. His Resume was **** for this job just like he is. Miami will never be able to run pro style. Not like big 10 programs or Bama which they have 5 star lineman.

Advertisement
It's a lot easier to turn around an organization that everyone acknowledges has failed versus an organization that some feel is not performing up to its capability.
One has to admit and determine root cause(s) before one can actually put improvements into place.

It's exactly how Joe Moglia built, then handed over, Coastal Carolina to Chadwell...

One has to admit and determine root cause(s) before one can actually put improvements into place.

It's exactly how Joe Moglia built, then handed over, Coastal Carolina to Chadwell...
Not really. We know Miami is spending more money and has better facilities then teams we are losing to. The issue is with the combination of coaches and players. At rock bottom we don't need to fix the problem. Mario needs to build the team as he sees fit. Don't worry about satisfying upperclassmen that might want to transfer. Our fans need to accept that we might have some difficult seasons the next few years.

Gattis leaving is a foregone conclusion. I think what should worry everyone is MArio's ability to hire a competent OC. Because if Mario screws up ANOTHER OC hire, that will be very concerning to me. A lot will be riding on his next hire.

The concerning part about hiring Gattis is that MArio (most likely) settled. It's pretty much known that Gattis was Mario's 3rd/4th choice. Gattis also had a real bad reputation coming from Michigan. The guy was not well liked and he pretty much told saban to fvck his own face. Given all that and given Mario's "exhaustive" search, he still ended up hiring the guy. That is troubling and gives me little confidence that he can make the next hire a good one.

Im of the opinion that Mario gets a 100% pass for hiring Gattis. The dude came in with a lot of media hype. Turns out the dude was a fraud. Interestingly, big time coaching seems to be one of the places where frauds can have lasting careers. I find that interesting yet odd. Hmmm?

Advertisement
Back