Perspective on Rock Bottom and We Byke

He hired steele also. Both hires make me worry about marios hiring.
I'll admit, I thought the Steele hire was solid. I see glimpses of what could be a decent D down the line with more talent on that side of the ball, but it sure isn't as much as I'd like. On O, I see NOTHING positive that leads me to believe things will change with better talent, depth, etc. I see nothing that leads me to believe that, even with a roster full of 4 and 5 star players, we will see an O that scores enough points to win 10+ games a year. This whole slow, methodical BS does not lend itself to scoring points. Even with a great D, this O will keep games close. Close enough that a few mistakes can, and will, cost them a game. Probably more.

I will always believe that scoring points is priority #1. Forget protecting your D, or controlling the clock. Score points and let your D tee off. It beats the heck out of having the ball 5 minutes, gaining 25 yards, then punting, only to have the other team score anyway. Yes, you want a solid D, but if you can't score points you lose. If you score 40 points a game you will win more games than if you're scoring 20. I can't believe I have to say that, but Mario doesn't seem to grasp it. He thinks we can win 12 games a year averaging 25, because it'll protect the D. No freaking way.

Your D can cause more havoc when your O is scoring. Period. Mario's mentality is just wrong, on every level.

Advertisement
Gattis leaving is a foregone conclusion. I think what should worry everyone is MArio's ability to hire a competent OC. Because if Mario screws up ANOTHER OC hire, that will be very concerning to me. A lot will be riding on his next hire.

The concerning part about hiring Gattis is that MArio (most likely) settled. It's pretty much known that Gattis was Mario's 3rd/4th choice. Gattis also had a real bad reputation coming from Michigan. The guy was not well liked and he pretty much told saban to fvck his own face. Given all that and given Mario's "exhaustive" search, he still ended up hiring the guy. That is troubling and gives me little confidence that he can make the next hire a good one.
Agree 100%. He needs to step out of his comfort zone and find a real OC. Fire Gattis now and let the football world know we're in the market for an innovative, attacking OC.

Agree 100%. He needs to step out of his comfort zone and find a real OC. Fire Gattis now and let the football world know we're in the market for an innovative, attacking OC.

Mario will not deviate from what he wants his offense to be and what you're hoping for is probably not it.

Mario will not deviate from what he wants his offense to be and what you're hoping for is probably not it.
Probably. It could be why the first few choices turned him down. They wanted to do their thing, and he wanted them to do his thing.

The fact Mario hired Gattis is concerning, to me. Gattis is beyond pathetic. As others have pointed out, EVERYTHING he does is wrong. Every, ****, thing. If this is the type of hire Mario makes, we're done. It's going to be hard to get top 2-3 recruiting classes winning 4-6 games a year, and looking like absolute crap in the process.

I definitely fell for the Gattis hire initially as I'm not familiar with ins and outs of other programs. Once I read (here, probably) the numbers pre and post hires of offensive personnel to assist Gattis I raised an eyebrow. Even moreso after ours vs Michigan's numbers right now. I still thought it could be growing pains in a new system early on + injuries.

Now, I do think some of it still is our roster. It's over hyped and just not very good. But neither are Dukes, MTSU etc and their OCs get production relative to their talent. Gattis does not and that's been clear for a few weeks at minimum.

I wish Mario would send a clear message and fire him now.

Advertisement
Im of the opinion that Mario gets a 100% pass for hiring Gattis. The dude came in with a lot of media hype. Turns out the dude was a fraud. Interestingly, big time coaching seems to be one of the places where frauds can have lasting careers. I find that interesting yet odd. Hmmm?
So you think Mario went with media hype over the tape of what TVD and the offense did well last year? Or do you think Mario believed the hype and Gattis lied to him about what kind of offense he was gonna bring, and completely ignored what Gattis has put on tape the last couple of years?

So you think Mario went with media hype over the tape of what TVD and the offense did well last year? Or do you think Mario believed the hype and Gattis lied to him about what kind of offense he was gonna bring, and completely ignored what Gattis has put on tape the last couple of years?

The guy won the Broyles Award last year. That has to come with some type of assumption of competency, yes? Maybe?? lol.

The question wasn't about what was put on tape at Michigan, rather it was about how much Gattis was responsible for that success. We had guys on this board saying Gattis was getting carried. The media said he was the next up & comer. As is so often the case, the CIS Animals turned out to be correct.

If I recall correctly, Mario struck out on a couple OC hires and got Gattis late in the cycle. That's why Mario started filling the offensive position coaching spots, to keep recruiting going. It is what it is. At this point my focus is on not missing any counseling appointments with my therapist and hoping Mario makes a better OC hire this off-season.

:weight-machine:

The guy won the Broyles Award last year. That has to come with some type of assumption of competency, yes? Maybe?? lol.

The question wasn't about what was put on tape at Michigan, rather it was about how much Gattis was responsible for that success. We had guys on this board saying Gattis was getting carried. The media said he was the next up & comer. As is so often the case, the CIS Animals turned out to be correct.

If I recall correctly, Mario struck out on a couple OC hires and got Gattis late in the cycle. That's why Mario started filling the offensive position coaching spots, to keep recruiting going. It is what it is. At this point my focus is on not missing any counseling appointments with my therapist and hoping Mario makes a better OC hire this off-season.

:weight-machine:
Even if last year was 100% Gattis, my point is hiring him off of that is the problem. It means Mario watched film of what this offense did well, and went polar opposite of it. Or he let Gattis lie to him and believed things that have never happened. You don’t get a pass for those reasons. It’s all on tape and Mario just ignored it.

Here’s to hoping he learned his lesson.

Even if last year was 100% Gattis, my point is hiring him off of that is the problem. It means Mario watched film of what this offense did well, and went polar opposite of it. Or he let Gattis lie to him and believed things that have never happened. You don’t get a pass for those reasons. It’s all on tape and Mario just ignored it.

Here’s to hoping he learned his lesson.

I dont share that opinion but I do see your point.

Advertisement
Not defending GERDis, but let me get this right...

He's from Franklin's coaching tree (to a degree) who spent years on his staff. Hired by Bama then advanced his career role.for a few years at Michigan.

For someone so incomptent, he appears to have several big names fooled for a long run.

Does that make sense?

Frederick the Great's horse was on four major campaigns with Frederick.

At the end of the day, he was still a dumbass horse.

Not really. We know Miami is spending more money and has better facilities then teams we are losing to. The issue is with the combination of coaches and players. At rock bottom we don't need to fix the problem. Mario needs to build the team as he sees fit. Don't worry about satisfying upperclassmen that might want to transfer. Our fans need to accept that we might have some difficult seasons the next few years.
Spending money needs to be done the right way of course.

I do believe Big Manny is taking a comprehensive systems engineering approach* to solve this.

1. Question everything
- Miami appears to have done this from administration to big donor partners

2. Study and understand what makes a stable process
- Rad + Mario + Alonzo know what "right" looks like

3. Process must be stable, repeatable, predictable
- Recruiting + Coaching + Development + Retention

4. Process and outcomes improve (and go back to step 1 for further gains)
- We byke bïtches (in stages...ACCCG, CFBPO, Natty)

*Saban is a big fan and incorporates this into his method

Advertisement
Back