Personnel in 2014

RepTheGables

Energy Vampire
For this thread, I'd like to shift gears a bit (away from the ad nauseam skeem talk) and spew a bit of optimism about next season. I don't see the 2014 team as having an elite roster in any sense of the word. However, I do believe that the offense and defense will each see improvements in their consistency and results.

On the offensive side, we'll be losing Morris, Hurns, and a bevy of blockers. Ryan Williams isn't going to win a game with his arm. But he can hit short and intermediate routes, and from what we saw in the USF game this season, he isn't exactly chopped liver when it comes to tough throws. Hurns will be missed as a 3rd-down safety valve, but having a QB who won't miss wide open receivers on 1st and 2nd down will allow the team to get into manageable 3rd down situations. Linder we'll miss. Wheeler we'll miss. Henderson we'll miss (sometimes). Hagens we'll miss. This unit is certainly taking a hit, but our depth and recruiting at these positions gives me hope. At other positions, we'll see a Duke Johnson showing out for the NFL, a Stacy Coley with his freshman foibles exorcised, and an experienced (and healthy) Phillip Dorsett stretching defenses yet again. We'll have enough depth backing them up to put a consistent product on the field. James Coley was pilloried for his play-calling, but at every game I went to, I saw receivers running wide open. The perfect antidote to a good play-call is a poor pass. I'm not throwing Morris under the bus, but I feel that his 'feast-or-famine' approach doomed far too many drives.

On the defensive side, it's a bit more difficult to mine optimism. We lose an experienced workhorse in Green, two longtime contributors (albeit with mixed on-field results) in Porter and Robinson, and transfer plug-n-plays in Renfrow and Gilbert. If you want to include the inevitable move of Muhammad and McCord from the DLine to the linebacking corps, go for it. The middle of the defense, Jimmy Gaines will be gone. On again/off again starting safeties A.J. and K.C. won't be on the field for us (I'm biting my tongue with this part). And up-and-down guys like Tyrone Cornelius and Kelvin Cain are a thing of the past. Ultimately, that's a lot of guys who got serious minutes (for better or for worse). So, optimism for this section rests mainly with the projected improvement of key players. A healthy Bush will be huge for our often-beleaguered safety unit. As will a more experienced and mature Jenkins. With Tracy Howard and crew manning the CB position, I'm feeling a million times better about teams passing on us than I have been in seasons past. Artie Burns showed flashes of being an elite corner as a true freshman, and year two should see a lot more of him. As far as rising sophomores go, I'm also very excited to see more of Figueroa and Muhammad. And I would be remiss if I were to leave out the biggest defensive piece on the Canes' chessboard: Denzel Perryman. Thanks for coming back.

Thoughts on the personnel flux?

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm optimistic about the offense & I Love the CANES but I have ZERO faith in the defense and they will probably be consistently last in the ACC again. But, who knows? I'm going into next season with zero expectations of a run at the Coastal, ACC Camp game bid, or a descent bowl game. Golden & Onofrio are going to have to show me results & creativity on the field before I believe their hype again

So i will say this again... We had enough talent on the field this year to have won more and be in a BCS bowl game. Duke does not have elite players everyone Senior you just named could have started for Duke or Wake Forest and some other teams in the country. I have a problem with the playcalling on both sides of the ball. The fact that our D-linemen would have to read and react on passing downs except the LBs of course. When I look at FSU that runs a 3-4 scheme I see guys that attack the ball... they get off the ball and blocks and attack the ball carrier. We need that same aggressive mentality and that stems from the coach on down. We do have good players coming in but again they are freshmen and or sophomores. Then I read an article today in the herald stating how D'No is not receptive to players advice during games. The kids are the ones playing and they see something happening consistently... for example: coach, X receiver is running slants all day and I'm 10 yards off him can we go man to man bum and run... coach: No do what I say... that right there, needs to go... He needs to compromise with his players and be a players coach. To me he seems arrogant.

Advertisement
I am focused on the Defense. The O will be fine, I think. Not going to be a juggernaut like it had the potential to be under morris, but effective. The defense, to me I actually to feel better about. The DL- 4 DT's coming in. Hopefully Valentine as well. These guys are big, and physical. The DE's are going to be good, Chick, Kamalu, Mccord and Muhammed speed rushing should be very good for us. LB Core- Scares me a little. We cant get any injuries outside of the starters, Kirby-Perryman-Figeroa. We have 2 cable backups in Grace and McCord (should be playing DE fulltime) But these guys will be good but a bunch of youth on the field if they get hurt. DB- We are going to be good at safety. Bush,Jenkins and Carter should be in a rotation holding it down. Corners, will be our strongest position. TH/Gunter will be lockdown, back them up with Crawford or Burns at Nickle, we are going to leave these guys on islands and be able to get more pressure and cause more turnovers because of it.

The d will depend on Williams's ability to sustain a long methodical drive down the field. Unlike Morris.

On offense our fate lies on Williams.
I'm not worried about his arm not being like Morris's. In College thats overrated especially when you can't make proper use of it.
What has me optimistic about Williams is that he's a 5th year SR, tall and from what I saw of the FAU and USF games was more decisive in his throws compared to Morris.
This tells me he makes better pre snap reads and can read coverages. If this assumption holds true, our offense will be night and day better than this past seasons.
Efficiency is key. And a Tall QB that can read defenses is tough to defend. Especially with our playmakers.
I expect the OL to be more athletic and overall be an upgrade.
RB and WR's will be more explosive with better depth although we won't be able to replace what Hurns gave us. Dude was money with his routes. Maybe Waters can develop into that kind of WR.

Defensively I expect major improvement from our secondary in terms of run support and overall play making ability which HS and Rodgers sorely lacked in.
CB's will be stout.. D'onofrio needs to play press coverage and stop with the bull**** already.
LB's will be an upgrade.
With Kamalu coming on strong at the end of the season and Chick returning our edge should be better. AQM needs to put on 20+ lbs of muscle this offseason to be an every down force.
Key question is at DT/NT. If the JUCO's can come in and establish themselves we should be good.

If you watched the team play, you could tell that the team was set up to fail from the tendencies that they had. The weakness of the offense and defense was the center of the field. Morris.... NEVER threw there. Defensive LBs could play the run and run to the flats because that's all we did. Cover the deep ball, tackle duke, and cover the flats is all they had to do.

Defensively, where were we the weakest? The middle of the field. That's why FSU tears us up. They line up great receivers against LBs who do not face it in a game setting in practice. Our quarters coverage base defense was built to defeat our own offense in practice. No one plays quarters as the base defense for good reason... because its idiotic. Great defenses are built on pressure. When you give teams gimme throws, you give them gimme points.

Hopefully, with the upperclassmen at DB, our defense can become more aggressive, because the slappies at DL are not getting pressure right now. Last year we were personal weak and schematically elementary. Hopefully this changes next year.

Also, I hope opposing LBers fear play action over the middle so duke can break some runs or we burn them with dobard/walford/sandland.

Advertisement
OL was outplayed this year way too much. If we really have a talent drop off in 2014 at OL, kit is not good.

We better pray Coley improves a LOT on gameplanning, adjustments and playcalling. I'd say that is a mandetory necessity!

OFFENSE SKILL PLAYERS POWER RANKINGS

COLEY
DUKE
DORSETT
WATERS
WALFORD
DALLAS
YEARBY
LEWIS
SCOTT
SANDLAND
GUS
DOBARD
TUCKER
KIDD
D. JONES
BERRIOS
BRADY
LANGHAM
HERNDON
O'DONNEL

I THINK CORN ELDER GETS MOVED TO OFFENSE IN THE SPRING

Advertisement
I'm really worried that as awful as Morris was for the ACC season, we evidently didn't have a QB capable of even limited appearances.

Williams looked good against USF! (So did Morris!)

If Williams was at any time this season a better option than the Mummy, then WHY in the **** didn't we see him?

Think about it. I'd wish Williams (or anyone that couldn't beat out Morris) was the QB for every team we face next season.

Advertisement
Offense
LT - Flowers
LG - Felciano
C - McDermott
RG - Isadora
RT - Bunche
QB - Williams
RB - Johnson
FB - Tucker
TE - Walford
WR - Dorsett
WR - Coley

3-4 Defense
DE - Chickallo
DT - Wyche
DE - Pierre
OLB - McCord
ILB - Perryman
ILB - Kirby
OLB - Figueroa
CB - Gunter
CB - Howard
FS - Jenkins
SS - Bush

4-3 Defense
DE - McCord
DT - Pierre
DT - Chickallo
DE - Muhammad
OLB - Perryman
MLB - Kirby
OLB - Figueroa
CB - Gunter
CB - Howard
FS - Jenkins
SS - Bush

We're not going to be seeing a full back a lot next year.... The rosters looks better just by not seeing the names of the liable suspects. The future is bright. Some of our freshmen will ball out in get in the lineup as well...

Our staff will have to improve itself tenfold over the expected talent uprgrades just to compete in the Coastal.

Advertisement
Back