Personnel in 2014

At what year do you guys stop saying addition by subtraction??

Honestly, I think utterance of that line is a bellwether for rottenness or failure in an organization more often than not. I don't think that's what's going on here. I see the loss of one set of tools coupled with the addition of another set.

Morris has an elite arm but doomed many drives due to his difficulty reading defenses or hitting an open receiver once he had made a read. And don't get me started on his fear of the middle of the field. I really want him to have a great career in the NFL, so hopefully a coaching staff can give him the teaching and training he needs to make good use of his talents.

The "addition" part comes from optimism re: Ryan Williams. I think the guy can hit the short and intermediate stuff better than Morris. He probably limits our ability to play from behind (to Morris' credit, his game-winning drive against UNC this past season was beautiful). We might expect to see an offense similar to the one we rolled out in 2011- very simple, very conservative. The difference this time around is that we have guys like Duke Johnson and Stacy Coley who are able to take simple counters and slants and make them game-breakers. But time will tell.

Honestly, we're all just waiting for our RFr. QB #15 to hoist the crystal ball after the 2015 season.

Advertisement
Maybe, Rep. But I would think defenses will sell out against that kinda stuff and make him try to lob the long ball (something our D SHOULD have done all year against every QB we faced).

If Coley doesn't improve a LOT, I fear 2014.

I think we could be a fairly dynamic run and play action based offense if another skilled back stepped up to partner with Duke. I'm not sure Williams can win us a handful of games with his arm, but, with that sort of offense, he could be quite effective. Especially if we develop the middle of the field with our bevy of tight ends while terrorizing teams deep with Coley and Dorsett.

Combine that with a stout defense, and I think, talent-wise, that would be good enough to win our division. Problem is, defensively, i think we're doomed, unless we change our scheme drastically. Once again, even with our JuCo gains, we lack the size and skill on the defensive line to fully pull off a two-gap system. Teams will continue to dictate match ups, play to their strengths, get their offensive linemen to the second level and envelope our linebackers, find holes for their playmakers in our soft zone coverage, etc...basically everything we've seen altogether too much of the last three years.

Willaims did look good in his only relevant action, against USF. But it was USF, and Morris also looked better than he ever did in his limited time against USF.

Still wonder, if he was at all viable, why wasn't he an option all the times where Morris was lame and 100% awful. :O

Advertisement
we have 18 year old kids that are going to contribute over 21-22 year olds that have been on this team for 3-4 years. let that sink in

talent is being increased which is only a positive plus another year of flushing out blandy kids. nothing but good

We finally have talented upperclassmen again. Our only hope is that Golden/Dono adjust the scheme to fit the personnel. Oh and stop covering WRs with DEs.

Addition by subtraction at every position except OL and 'maybe' DL.

Disagree about the OL. We are bringing in some kids that can make us forget SH very quickly. Linder will be a loss, but we can use Feliciano and Bunche at G, or possibly move Bunche over to RT.

Advertisement
I think the injury to Isadora really hurt development. If he would have been a good backup on the other side of the line for linder. He would have been the unquestioned started coming into this next season. But lets just hope that he or Bunche are healthy and compete hard for the spot.

Advertisement
Back