Perry shares thoughts on getting the nod for UVA

Advertisement
It’s official: Miami will have a new starting QB when they take the field on Friday night against Virginia, as head coach Manny Diaz gave the nod to N’Kosi Perry in lieu of Jarren Williams’ shoulder issues.

“We just found out today, everyone has been hyped up,” Perry said of learning the news. “I just want to get a win for the team, we need to get that feeling back.”

Friday will be something of a redemption game for Perry as well.

In 2018, the Canes and Perry came into their game against UVA riding high at 5-1 and fresh off a win over rival FSU. However, the offense struggled mightily, Perry was benched after two brutal interceptions, and UM fell on the road to the Cavs, 16-13.

“I didn’t play well last year and we didn’t get the win,” Perry said. “The whole team didn’t play well. We want to go out and show we can compete with anybody.”

Working with new OC Dan Enos this season, Perry feels he’s improved on the mental side of the game.

“He has helped me understand the defense’s coverages - my preparation in my mind is a lot better than where I was last year,” Perry said. “I’m just ready to show that I’m ready to play, that the whole team is ready to play.”

How did Williams take the news?

“He’s been a good sport about it, I’m being a good sport about it too,” Perry said.

Last season, Perry went 4-2 as the starting QB for UM splitting time with Malik Rosier, but lost the battle for the starting job to Williams over the offseason. Now back in the saddle for the first time since November 2018, Perry says it feels good to have the coaching staff’s confidence again.

“I guess it gives me a little more confidence than I already had,” Perry said. “But it’s about the team. The whole team needs to redeem ourselves for this game and for the season.”

Despite starting the season as a backup yet again and transfer rumors swirling, Perry says he was never close to leaving the team.

“I’m going to be here for them regardless whether I’m the No. 1 guy or No. 5 guy. I’m going to support the University of Miami, that’s my overall goal,” Perry said. “I’m proud I didn’t quit, but I knew I wasn’t going to quit. I’m not a quitter. I’ve never been, never will be.”

With the 4-1 and 20th-ranked Cavaliers coming down to Hard Rock Stadium for a night game on Friday, Perry intends to use this matchup to springboard the team to bigger and better things in the future.

“We all want to win,” Perry said. “Losing sucks. I feel we get this win we’ll be back on a roll, back used to that winning feeling.”

Someone should ask Nkosi if Baxa was a good sport about it when he found out he was cuckolded by his boy.

Advertisement
If we seriously wanna beat UVA we're going to have to throw the ball at least 40 times this game...

If we come out conservative trying to run the ball down their throats they're gonna eat us alive.

UVA is a smart sound disciplined team that plays ball control style mistake free football, their Defense is really really good, like as good as UF's was in week 0, the only way for us to slow them down is Spread'em out & stetch the field.

Enos can't call this thing scared, he's gotta be an aggressive play caller & allow Kosi to let it rip, and don't wait until we're down 3 scores to do so either.

We should take a Deep shot first play of the game, just to force those Safeties not to crowd the box. IMO the game plan should be Quick passing attack & going Tempo, then running the ball once their Secondary respects that they'll have to cover the down the field; Pass to setup the Run.

If we seriously wanna beat UVA we're going to have to throw the ball at least 40 times this game...

If we come out conservative trying to run the ball down their throats they're gonna eat us alive.

UVA is a smart sound disciplined team that plays ball control style mistake free football, their Defense is really really good, like as good as UF's was in week 0, the only way for us to slow them down is Spread'em out & stetch the field.

Enos can't call this thing scared, he's gotta be an aggressive play caller & allow Kosi to let it rip, and don't wait until we're down 3 scores to do so either.

We should take a Deep shot first play of the game, just to force those Safeties not to crowd the box. IMO the game plan should be Quick passing attack & going Tempo, then running the ball once their Secondary respects that they'll have to cover the down the field; Pass to setup the Run.
To be honest, this is the only appropriate and intelligent offensive gameplay for our level of talent on the offensive line.

We should always (quick) pass to set up the run. And then take deep shots. I agree, stretch every opponents safeties to start games. Teams were starting to play 10 and 12 in the box to stop Deejay, against Jarren...no respect.

Advertisement

Yep, come out swinging, we have nothing to lose at this point and the previous game-plans haven't worked, so let's say, **** it and go all out.

No doubt. My concern is that UVA will zone us and protect the deep ball. They did this in last year's game and Perry consistently made bad decisions throwing into a zone. We tried to spread them out last year as well, fyi.

From what I recall of the game (I was there), they continually rushed 3-5 rushers, got to Perry/Rosier and dropped everyone else. They won't have to crowd the box imo.

We are about to see how many other QBs on this team are built like this.

Because this quote right here...

Sounds like somebody is in their feelings.
You're about 50-50 on your posts.

But sometimes it's wise to keep quiet and not be a fool and type.

Advertisement
****, Perry talking the talk. Props to this kid. We all (including myself) wrote him off for being immature and I had him #3 behind Tate/Jarren on my list of QB's for this year.

Now time to get revenge and go drop 40 on them
This simply was not the case at all. There were several of us that never wrote him off, in which some of us, including myself, strongly advised against writing him off.

This simply was not the case at all. There were several of us that never wrote him off, in which some of us, including myself, strongly advised against writing him off.

Congratz, want a candy bar?

Advertisement

If we pass down field and spread them out then DeeJay will run it down their throat. All of our RB's can make one or two guys miss so if the defense is spread out the Rb's will be unstoppable.

That man been had confidence and never was leaving those rumors were started by people who didnt like him, i said before the season, perry is the only True qb on this team, and he should be the starter, cause i still feel like jw15 is fragile minded and transfer tate running from competition coming here like he was just gone house the starting qb job, but our boy perry said ***** that, this my team, and than manny went and phucked it up and started jarren. But this is a Great time for somebody to post that clip now:

My main man Calvin, tell's it like it is. The bottom line is there's just too many Perry HATERS throughout Hurricane nation. Enter the various social media cafe's. hUh

Advertisement
Back