Perfect replacement for corn elder

Malek is gonna be a badass here despite guys ready to crucify him already.

Redwine doesn't run well enough. We need a big speed infusion at DB.

Gonna need another grad transfer CB next year, or we could be in big trouble.

Thank a God for CJ Henderson.

Oh wait.

Advertisement
I like Redwine, but he's a step slow, almost always. Not opposed to a move to safety, but despite his shortcomings, we'll likely need him at CB because of how paper thin we are there.

Young's got the speed and the hips, agree that he'll make a big jump next year. Happy he's getting serious burn this year.

Bandy contributes day one.

I think DeeJay might have Corn's athleticism, but it's gonna take him a year to learn the position, IMHO.

As Chise said, we need a top level JUCO or capable grad transfer immediately. Because I have a hard time seeing a kid like Brini or even Edwards coming in and helping much next year.

I like Redwine, but he's a step slow, almost always. Not opposed to a move to safety, but despite his shortcomings, we'll likely need him at CB because of how paper thin we are there.

Young's got the speed and the hips, agree that he'll make a big jump next year. Happy he's getting serious burn this year.

Bandy contributes day one.

I think DeeJay might have Corn's athleticism, but it's gonna take him a year to learn the position, IMHO.

As Chise said, we need a top level JUCO or capable grad transfer immediately. Because I have a hard time seeing a kid like Brini or even Edwards coming in and helping much next year.

We need M Jackson to be serviceable next year in a bad way.

I'll go as far as to say two as we've been very fortunate health-wise with our secondary this year *knock on wood*.

Advertisement
It took Elder 4 year to be an elite CB, maybe that had to do with the fact that Paul Williams was his CB coach for 3 years. Mike Rumph seems to be able to develop cbs at a much faster rate. But I see Bandy starting out at Nickel like Elder did here than shifting over to corner after a year or two.

Elder was good last year too. But his game clearly was elevated from last year

Corn has been a player since his freshman year.. In my view he has always been good, every year. But for sure, he has improved each year.

Malek Young will be asked to replace Elder. If he can offer 75% of what Corn produced, the loss can be made up elsewhere. Frankly, Corn's been playing Cover 3 and dropping quite a bit in coverage, but he's made his mark as a willing tackler and playmaker. If Young stays healthy and takes the step I expect, I don't consider it a disastrous loss.

What they do with the Redwine and Safety situations are far more interesting to debate.
^^^^^^ Y'all see this right?

Don't argue wit me, argue with Lu, cause he's saying the same thing... Lol

I don't enough about Bandy, so it'd be pointless for me to debate the comparison until I see Bandy play against college guys. He may be immediately better, who knows. We'll get a glimpse in fall practices next year.

Malek has flashed enough from what I've seen between practice and games to fit the specific scenario I described in the post above. He's not going to be Corn (the senior), but it's not like Corn has picked an opposing WR and shut down one side of the field. Instead, Corn has been so great because he's done a bit of everything for us as a CB.

Lol @ comparing Malek Young to Corn.
I don't think anyone is making that direct comparison. Given he'll likely be asked to play his spot, the question is "how much of what Corn provides can Malek fill in?" I don't see it as a disaster.

Malek Young don't impress me much. Pretty sure he hasn't made a single play in coverage this year. Like him in run support though. Ditto for Redwine. And that's terrifying.

Advertisement
CB: Young, Jackson, Mayes, Bandy, Dallas, Collier, Henley

S: Jaquan, Redwine, Knowles, Wright, Carter, James, Gibson

Move Finley to LB

Advertisement

Redwine is serviceable as a Cover 2/3 zone corner. He has pretty good instincts, but doesn't have the speed and agility to be left on an island. Must need a safety over the top if we're in man.

Love Bandy, but I hope you dudes don't expect a freshmans to come in here and give us what Corn does.

That's exactly what I'm expecting. We don't have the time or the depth for him to take baby steps. He has to become a sophomore over spring and fall practices.

You're setting him up for failure if you're expecting him to give us what a top senior CB is giving us as a true freshmans.

Redwine is serviceable as a Cover 2/3 zone corner. He has pretty good instincts, but doesn't have the speed and agility to be left on an island. Must need a safety over the top if we're in man.

I'd like to put a CB out there with enough athleticism that we don't need to protect him. Hopefully, a guy like Jackson steps up and we find a plug n play JUCO and a grad transfer. It's a pretty bad look at DB next year.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back