Pentagon or D$

I didn't expect a lot this year quite honestly. Too many upperclassmen getting kicked out or transferring to say this was going to be the year we truly turn the corner. I'm looking for end of year improvement which we haven't seen with this coaching staff. For me, the UVa game is huge and probably the most important game for this staff at this point for momentum. I think if we beat Virginia then we handle Pitt without problem. Now we're heading into bowl season winning 5 of our last 6 games. Win the bowl game and we're on the right trajectory for 2015.

The 2015 schedule is favorable. Clemson, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech at home. We get Nebraska at home. We go to Cincinnati, Duke and Florida State. On offense we lose Duke which is huge. Everybody returns at wide out except Dorsett. Yes, we lose Clive but Dobard has the goods despite his ball security concerns. He's still at pup. If Flowers returns then we have the makings of a really nice and athlete offensive line. Isidora has been coming on and Darling and Linder are further along than we anticipated. I liked Gadbois prior to his injury. He was starting to come on. Figs is a loss. Love his attitude. Can Yearby be the guy? We'll see but I think Scarlett or Williams should help a lot. Edwards game has improved. We're running more by committee next year, which may not be too bad. Go with the hot guy. And then you've got an experienced Kaaya. I think as good as he's been this year as a true freshman he's really going to take off next year, especially his reads and ability to change plays at the line of scrimmage. Offense should be very, very good.

On defense, the only guy we'll miss is Denzel on defense. Love Chick and what he's done here but he's replaceable. Pierre has been good, but I really like Kamalu and Hertelou. We've got to get something out of Wyche next year. I expect a big year out of McCord. We need Muhammad back and Chad will be a very important guy next year. He should be what we've lacked at end since Campbell. Grace is going to be a monster next year. I really, really like Owens and Young. Kirby is serviceable. Our back four will be terrific next year. Burns is really improving. Howard, Crawford and Elder are all very good. Bush is playing like an all-conference first teamer the last 4 to 5 games. We need Carter to make the leap. We get Jenkins back.

We have a terrific punter. I have some concerns with placekicking, but special teams will be solid.

We will be a very good team next. I love our chances at Doak if we walk in healthy. We historically play well there and I think we beat them. They truly are losing a lot and they've got guys on defense that are going to declare early.

Next years record prediction, assuming reasonable health is:

?

Advertisement
Is it a given that Wyche will be eligible next year? He has played 4 years without a red shirt. In an video interview done while he was a USC commit, it was said that whoever signed him would have to petition the NCAA to get him an extra year. He apparently left his JUCO team because of his mom's illness, but did not get a redshirt.

I think it's very important to have him next year after going through, what I hope will be, a transformational off season. He desperately needs that off-season strength and conditioning.

Overall assessment of the team from game 1 to now and what are your expectations for the 2015 team?

I think we can win 10 games next year with or without Golden and with or without Duke Johnson

Yes, I think we can win 10 games without Golden too.

The team coaching itself will do much, much better than this ******.

Trinidad Brad will save us bro. I see it in his eyes.

I didn't expect a lot this year quite honestly. Too many upperclassmen getting kicked out or transferring to say this was going to be the year we truly turn the corner. I'm looking for end of year improvement which we haven't seen with this coaching staff. For me, the UVa game is huge and probably the most important game for this staff at this point for momentum. I think if we beat Virginia then we handle Pitt without problem. Now we're heading into bowl season winning 5 of our last 6 games. Win the bowl game and we're on the right trajectory for 2015.

The 2015 schedule is favorable. Clemson, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech at home. We get Nebraska at home. We go to Cincinnati, Duke and Florida State. On offense we lose Duke which is huge. Everybody returns at wide out except Dorsett. Yes, we lose Clive but Dobard has the goods despite his ball security concerns. He's still at pup. If Flowers returns then we have the makings of a really nice and athlete offensive line. Isidora has been coming on and Darling and Linder are further along than we anticipated. I liked Gadbois prior to his injury. He was starting to come on. Figs is a loss. Love his attitude. Can Yearby be the guy? We'll see but I think Scarlett or Williams should help a lot. Edwards game has improved. We're running more by committee next year, which may not be too bad. Go with the hot guy. And then you've got an experienced Kaaya. I think as good as he's been this year as a true freshman he's really going to take off next year, especially his reads and ability to change plays at the line of scrimmage. Offense should be very, very good.

On defense, the only guy we'll miss is Denzel on defense. Love Chick and what he's done here but he's replaceable. Pierre has been good, but I really like Kamalu and Hertelou. We've got to get something out of Wyche next year. I expect a big year out of McCord. We need Muhammad back and Chad will be a very important guy next year. He should be what we've lacked at end since Campbell. Grace is going to be a monster next year. I really, really like Owens and Young. Kirby is serviceable. Our back four will be terrific next year. Burns is really improving. Howard, Crawford and Elder are all very good. Bush is playing like an all-conference first teamer the last 4 to 5 games. We need Carter to make the leap. We get Jenkins back.

We have a terrific punter. I have some concerns with placekicking, but special teams will be solid.

We will be a very good team next. I love our chances at Doak if we walk in healthy. We historically play well there and I think we beat them. They truly are losing a lot and they've got guys on defense that are going to declare early.

?

11-2 going into bowl season is the mean.

?

I was thinking a 2 loss team. I can see 10-2 going into the ACC Ship and the bowl game

Advertisement

?

I was thinking a 2 loss team. I can see 10-2 going into the ACC Ship and the bowl game

Like you said a lot depends on how we finish in our last 3 this year.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts... I am sure you have shared this before but I have not seen it. My assumption is that Golden stays if we finish the year strong and probably should. I am not a Golden guy but in a year where UF and Mich need coaches I have no problem sitting on the sidelines. Do you think we have the defensive coaching staff and mind frame to win 11 games?

I believe the staff is growing and developing but I am not sure Golden can get rid of the temple conservative frame of mind without a proven DC who has done it before.

WAY too early to make any predictions on records for next year, for multiple reasons.

1) Development - We have no idea how well the younger kids who redshirted this year will develop, and whether or not they will have a big impact after a redshirt season. Anthony Moten, Mike Smith, Demetrius Jackson, Terry McCray, Darrell Langham, David Njoku...just a few of the names that may be ready come next season to help out. Related: Rashawn Scott, Rayshawn Jenkins, Al-Quadin Muhammad, Jelani Hamilton, and probably others are going to redshirt and be ready to help next season. Will they develop into guys who can make a major impact coming off of injury/suspension/mass-consumption of gelato?

2) New Freshmen - Some of the kids coming in may be immediate impact guys. Look at Jaquan Johnson, that guy might play (and possibly start) from day one. There may even be a guy that we weren't expecting to play much (like Trent Harris this season) that will play a big role. Plus--the class isn't even full yet. We're still after a bunch of guys who could end up being Canes that may be instant upgrades at certain spots, and see a lot of PT.

3) Coaching Staff Changes - No matter how big (Golden gone) or how little (Paul Williams gone), there are likely going to be changes to the coaching staff. That will change the game planning, possibly the scheme a little bit (or a lot--imagine if NoD is gone and we bring in a 4-3 DC), and the development within the system.

4) Injuries - We see what has happened to our OL during the year. Thankfully, they've acquitted themselves better than expected, but that won't always happen. Remember this time last year when we thought we would be sitting here talking about Ryan Williams playing the QB position?

5) Transfers - At this point last year, we thought Malcolm Bunche would be back and playing one of the tackle spots. We may see someone like Gus Edwards transfer given the 3 incoming RBs (if they stick in this 2015 class). These things can change the picture dramatically. Some of those guys I listed who have redshirted might want to transfer instead of waiting for their turn.

No offense, and with all due respect--but to call for 11-2 as the mean right now based off of just what we may or may not have coming back and the projected schedule is just a wild guess. Kudos for trying to put a number on it, but we need to let some things play out, because things WILL change. That's almost an absolute certainty.

I agree with Pentagon on about everything. Maybe I am just giddy over finally having a Cane caliber QB and the fact the Coley is cutting back on his WR bubble screens and letting kid throw over the middle and to TE of all things, but I think Kaaya is huge difference. He looks, acts, and plays like all the great NC QBs we have had. I might be alone, but I think he was best QB on the field on Saturday. He had tons of bad luck, two TEs fumble big gains, two perfect NFL TD passes dropped, but still gave us 13 point lead at half time. Rapist had good luck, tipped ball/ Franco Harris moment, and TE fumble overlooked by refs, and free pass on all holding calls, and barely beat the kid. Kaaya, probably is saving Al's career and is certainly making Coley's. Oh, and Clive needs to buy the kid a car with his signing bonus cause another year of bombs away Morris and Clive goes undrafted. All those passes to Duke for big plays are helping even that monster star. This kid is money. Speaking of which, when do the odds come out on next year's Heisman? I got a $1000 waiting to lay on Brad for taking the prize.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back