Pelini wants NSD gone

Just seeing this. I just see this as another tool for institutions to have more leverage on their future laborers. It won't help with the big boys as you point out because they are going to hold out for the best deal ($$$/promises/etc.) regardless. Locking in kids that are under the radar is risky at best. In fact, personally I would be less likely to offer an under the radar kid early for the exact reason that they might not work out and we'd be stuck with them. All of this would correct itself if kids would honor their commitments.

Or let them out if the HC or position coach of the recruit gets fired or takes another job.

But I don't see this happening because it would require more than we can reasonably expect from the NCAA. Besides kids would just wait to commit rather than committing early.

I wish they could sign now and not allow them to decommitt but they should put something in the contract if you get hurt your senior we will still honor you with a 4 year scholarship!

I think many kids would sign early because they want to insure a ship. Sure the top end kids would probably still milk all the drama, but at least the coaches could get most of class in and spend less time just protecting commits. It would put pressure on coaches and players to get business done. Plus, since it seems many of our early offers blow up and get stolen, it might benefit us. If nothing else, it would cause the sec $$ men to spend more and earlier. System doesn't seem to favor us right now so change it.

Advertisement
Seems sort of hypocrticial.

I'm not a fan of all the **** going on in recruiting but coaches are a large part of the problem. They complain about kids decommitting and flipping and blah, blah, blah but whose fault is that? When a top prospect commits elsewhere do they stop recruiting him? No, they keep recruiting him and try to get him to flip. Seems they only have a gripe when it happens to them.

And the second point is fans always want recruits to 'shut it down' once they commit but how many times have we seen a recruit loyally committed to a school only to get dropped at the end when a better prospect comes along? FSU did this to a kid like a week before signing day last year. It's been going on in college football forever. Then the same coaches and fans get upset when recruits keep their options open all the way to signing day. The recruits would be idiots not to.

There definitely needs to be some changes in recruiting, but some of this crying coming from coaches is hypocritical as ****.

I'm not a fan of all the **** going on in recruiting but coaches are a large part of the problem. They complain about kids decommitting and flipping and blah, blah, blah but whose fault is that? When a top prospect commits elsewhere do they stop recruiting him? No, they keep recruiting him and try to get him to flip. Seems they only have a gripe when it happens to them.

And the second point is fans always want recruits to 'shut it down' once they commit but how many times have we seen a recruit loyally committed to a school only to get dropped at the end when a better prospect comes along? FSU did this to a kid like a week before signing day last year. It's been going on in college football forever. Then the same coaches and fans get upset when recruits keep their options open all the way to signing day. The recruits would be idiots not to.

There definitely needs to be some changes in recruiting, but some of this crying coming from coaches is hypocritical as ****.

This is the point of ESD to avoid all of this BS. If you have a valid offer, the school must send you an LOI to sign for ESD. If you don't have a valid offer, you avoid getting dropped since you never had a valid offer.

All valid offers would come with a LOI, any offer without an LOI is not a valid offer. This avoids the recruit getting duped.

Again the current system is garbage. It screws the players and the schools, I don't give a chit about the fans and their feeling.

This is the point of ESD to avoid all of this BS. If you have a valid offer, the school must send you an LOI to sign for ESD. If you don't have a valid offer, you avoid getting dropped since you never had a valid offer.

All valid offers would come with a LOI, any offer without an LOI is not a valid offer. This avoids the recruit getting duped.

Again the current system is garbage. It screws the players and the schools, I don't give a chit about the fans and their feeling.

I believe an early signing day would curtail that some, but not completely. If anything, the guys who aren't sure fire or whatever will be left even more out in the cold. The chaos would then shift closer to national signing day.

If schools know they have to honor an offer early, that means the 'non-comittable, but kinda comittable' offers go off the table. Only the elite prospects will have a letter of intent in the summer and early into the fall because coaches wouldn't risk having their class filled up with guys who at B options for them by giving them offers early. So they'll wait on the elite kids to see where they sign then throw out legit offers to all the fillers. So around signing day you'll have the chaos from all the B options trying to get in visits and the like. This happens in basketball now. The only thing an early signind day does is delay the crazy by a few months.

And that's just on the signing end. An earlier signing day also leads to madness like 7th and 8th graders being signed to letters of intent...see basketball. Is that any better than what we have now? I don't know the answer, but I don't think the early signing day is as cure all as most believe.

Advertisement
I believe an early signing day would curtail that some, but not completely. If anything, the guys who aren't sure fire or whatever will be left even more out in the cold. The chaos would then shift closer to national signing day.

If schools know they have to honor an offer early, that means the 'non-comittable, but kinda comittable' offers go off the table. Only the elite prospects will have a letter of intent in the summer and early into the fall because coaches wouldn't risk having their class filled up with guys who at B options for them by giving them offers early. So they'll wait on the elite kids to see where they sign then throw out legit offers to all the fillers. So around signing day you'll have the chaos from all the B options trying to get in visits and the like. This happens in basketball now. The only thing an early signind day does is delay the crazy by a few months.

And that's just on the signing end. An earlier signing day also leads to madness like 7th and 8th graders being signed to letters of intent...see basketball. Is that any better than what we have now? I don't know the answer, but I don't think the early signing day is as cure all as most believe.

It ends most of the BS and uncertainty. You either have a real offer or you don't. You're either officially signed to a school or not.

The point is to eliminate as much BS as possible, we will never be able to get rid all the BS (i.e. announcements and signing day chaos) but you can easily minimize it. You can create transparency between the schools and recruits.

What 7th or 8th grades can send LOI? What are you talking about? Stop going extreme, I set out a very simple suggestion which ends a ton of BS and uncertainty.

Give me one example of a situation that can arise from an ESD with my method above.

It ends most of the BS and uncertainty. You either have a real offer or you don't. You're either officially signed to a school or not.

The point is to eliminate as much BS as possible, we will never be able to get rid all the BS (i.e. announcements and signing day chaos) but you can easily minimize it. You can create transparency between the schools and recruits.

What 7th or 8th grades can send LOI? What are you talking about? Stop going extreme, I set out a very simple suggestion which ends a ton of BS and uncertainty.

Give me one example of a situation that can arise from an ESD with my method above.

None as of now. But why wouldn't they be able to in the advent of an early signing period?

From my understanding the only reason they can't now is because NSD serves as the first (note not the only) day that they can officially sign. But if you go to an early signing period I don't see why kids wouldn't sign earlier. They're already handing out verbal offers to kids in 8th grade. A big part of the madness is because schools are recruiting earlier and earlier. Take a kid like Sony, he was talked about since his 9th grade year. WTF are we talking about kids in 8th or 9th grade? There used to be a time when you didn't hear about recruits until their junior year. I just find it disingenous that a bunch of coaches are complaining about the madness recruiting has become when they're largely responsible for it. A bunch of grown men promising kids the world at 14-15 and contacting them daily and people are surprised the kids can't make their mind up?

Now I'm not saying that to speak against an early signing day period, I think it would help. I'm just pointing out that there's bad on both sides of any setup. Some people (not you) seem to think an early signing day would be a cure all, I don't. Nothing more or less.

Last edited:
You can only sign your senior year. Not anytime you want. Not 7th or 8th grade which doesn't exist now.

There would be an actual period for ESD.

I am waiting for one issue with my original solution. Seriously

Where did I say there was an issue with it?

Did I not say I'd like to see an early period as well? All I said is that it isn't a cure all for a lot of the issues people have with the current recruiting landscape, namely the commit/decommit circus. I think it would just shift to players lower on the totem pole (see reason outlined above a few posts back).

Advertisement
Where did I say there was an issue with it?

Did I not say I'd like to see an early period as well? All I said is that it isn't a cure all for a lot of the issues people have with the current recruiting landscape, namely the commit/decommit circus. I think it would just shift to players lower on the totem pole (see reason outlined above a few posts back).

You will never have an issue free solution.

I don't get who benefits from the current mess. Why keep a process that can be resolved to minimize issues?

You can only sign your senior year. Not anytime you want. Not 7th or 8th grade which doesn't exist now.

There would be an actual period for ESD.

I am waiting for one issue with my original solution. Seriously

Why the belligerence? I think you may be a bit too vested in your brilliant ESD idea.

45.gif

Imagine a sophomore in HS from Los Angeles signing his LOI to attend UCLA because it's close to home and family is important to him. Then as a Sr. his mom or dad gets transferred to Virginia and suddenly he has to go to school 3,000 miles away from his family. Who is that good for? Him? or Jim Mora Jr.?

What about if you look at it from another perspective? What if the kid just doesn't develop like the school thought he would? What if he's eating **** in school and becomes a candidate to become an academic casualty? Or worse, what if the kid becomes injured and his performance significantly decreases after said injury?

Doesn't the school get ****ed in those scenarios too?

I mean I guess a little bit. But unless they are also doing away with annually renewable scholarships and making them 4 years guaranteed, they might be inconvenienced, but it would only be for a year then they can just cut them loose. And that's assuming that a coach, when faced with a kid coming he no longer wants, doesn't just call up the admissions office and suddenly some mysterious academic or eligibility issue pops up so the school can get out of honoring their commitment. Because it's not like any of the schools will sign off on reforms that weaken their own power in the school-player relationship.

Advertisement
Back