PBUCH

Advertisement
This is why I question the value of ANY education football players actually get. They are used as pieces of meat then thrown away. They don't get a real education in college. If they did, you wouldn't have so many of them broke as soon as their playing days are done. I'm seriously ready for college football to either go away, or start educating these kids so they actually have something to fall back on after their playing days are done.

I've said it for years. There needs to be a minor league football system set up. They aren't getting an education in the current system anyway. Have it written into every contract that when their playing days are done, they can attend a college of their choice, and get a real education. Unlike the ones they get when they are being used to make money for the so called school they are playing for. It's one big charade right now. A disgusting money making scheme that leaves the players broke due to their lack of education. The universities get rich. The NFL gets rich. The networks get rich. The uneducated players go broke and suffer health problems for the rest of their lives. It's time these guys get a real education, not the bare minimum to remain eligible to make money for their "institute of higher learning".

If the university didn't care about their football skills, they would focus on doing their jobs as educators. Just my two cent rant for the day.

This is why I question the value of ANY education football players actually get. They are used as pieces of meat then thrown away. They don't get a real education in college. If they did, you wouldn't have so many of them broke as soon as their playing days are done. I'm seriously ready for college football to either go away, or start educating these kids so they actually have something to fall back on after their playing days are done.

I've said it for years. There needs to be a minor league football system set up. They aren't getting an education in the current system anyway. Have it written into every contract that when their playing days are done, they can attend a college of their choice, and get a real education. Unlike the ones they get when they are being used to make money for the so called school they are playing for. It's one big charade right now. A disgusting money making scheme that leaves the players broke due to their lack of education. The universities get rich. The NFL gets rich. The networks get rich. The uneducated players go broke and suffer health problems for the rest of their lives. It's time these guys get a real education, not the bare minimum to remain eligible to make money for their "institute of higher learning".

If the university didn't care about their football skills, they would focus on doing their jobs as educators. Just my two cent rant for the day.

You're right, of course, but let's not act like these kids are begging for an education and just not getting it. It's pretty clear that a lot of them just want to get to the league or else bounce. You can lead a horse to water...

These kids are 18+ and blessed with tremendous opportunity. If they blow it, a lot of it's on them.

Once again another story of someone with lots of money walking away with next to nothing. These stories are sickening...

Ex-NFL player explains how he ended up blowing a chunk of his $20 million

Funny how the two of the most outspoken ex canes who dog UM and Golden are the ones who have little control over their own finances and ability to not get caught punching women and getting caught with hookers. (Sapp, Buchanon)

Doesn't Buchanon have his own business now? Wrote a book on this topic, and now tries to mentor NFL rookies to not make the same mistake? Strange that you put him in the same discussion as Sapp. I don't recall Sapp or Irvin being so outspoken to not blow their money when he was a 1st round rookie.

And you don't have to have financial acumen to know that Golden is a **** coach. These guys might not know how to manage a budget, but they know a thing or two about top-tier football.

Advertisement
Of course, they are UNEDUCATED kids. It should be the school's job to change that. They aren't doing it, and they shouldn't even pretend they are trying at this point.

Also, my 3 year old wants to eat cookies and candy all day long, but I know it's not good for her. Why? Because I'm a grownup and I know what's best for her. These schools also know what is best for these kids, but aren't doing the right thing. It would be like me taking money from the candy company to feed my 3 year old candy. If I did that, I'd be a bad, bad parent. These kids need the RIGHT thing done for them, not what they think is best.

You're right, of course, but let's not act like these kids are begging for an education and just not getting it. It's pretty clear that a lot of them just want to get to the league or else bounce. You can lead a horse to water...

These kids are 18+ and blessed with tremendous opportunity. If they blow it, a lot of it's on them.

Last edited:
60% of NFL players file for bankruptcy within 5 years of retirement.

80+% of NBA players file for bankruptcy within 5 years of retirement.

The disease of instant affluence is a real thing. The numbers for state lottery winners is in the same range. People without money simply do not know how to handle having lots of it. Its one of the main reasons why Ive intentionally avoided the accumulation of personal wealth throughout my life. I never wanted to go bankrupt.

He might not be rich, but PBuch smelled the stench wafting from Fat Al's skin folds before pretty much anyone else did.

For that, he is a winner.

At least he is using his experience to educate others.
At this point the NFL rookies can't use ignorance as an excuse.
There is so much information and education about the this issue available to them.

Advertisement
Comparing a 3 year old to an 18 year old in college is absurd. These kids are entering adulthood. Like every other 18 year old they either seize it or get lost. The only difference is that these guys are blessed with a tremendous opportunity most can only dream of. Lack of accountability is a disease.

Hold kids accountable? Creates a soft culture. See also the Taylor Gadbois thread for evidence.

Once again another story of someone with lots of money walking away with next to nothing. These stories are sickening...

Ex-NFL player explains how he ended up blowing a chunk of his $20 million

Funny how the two of the most outspoken ex canes who dog UM and Golden are the ones who have little control over their own finances and ability to not get caught punching women and getting caught with hookers. (Sapp, Buchanon)

I can't believe this well-reasoned post is getting down-voted so harshly. There's certainly well-documented scientific correlation between squandering money and an inability to accurately assess the quality of a football coach.

What does college education have to do with squandering money? Plenty of well-educated people squander money.

The problem that a lot of these guys run into is that they've never had any money, and when they get it they want to spend it and enjoy all the stuff they never had growing up. It's got nothing to do with a fcking college course.

They need mentors and advisers who have their best interest in mind instead of all the hangers on and good time Charlies who glommed onto them looking to enjoy their riches. The problem is a not having great support systems and mentoring when they sign those contracts. I'm not talking about hearing some speech from a broke down bum at an NFL rookie weekend retreat. I'm talking real life mentoring on a steady basis.

Advertisement
Sorry, but some of these kids can read about as well as my three year old. They need an education, and badly.
Comparing a 3 year old to an 18 year old in college is absurd. These kids are entering adulthood. Like every other 18 year old they either seize it or get lost. The only difference is that these guys are blessed with a tremendous opportunity most can only dream of. Lack of accountability is a disease.

What does college education have to do with squandering money? Plenty of well-educated people squander money.

The problem that a lot of these guys run into is that they've never had any money, and when they get it they want to spend it and enjoy all the stuff they never had growing up. It's got nothing to do with a fcking college course.

They need mentors and advisers who have their best interest in mind instead of all the hangers on and good time Charlies who glommed onto them looking to enjoy their riches. The problem is a not having great support systems and mentoring when they sign those contracts. I'm not talking about hearing some speech from a broke down bum at an NFL rookie weekend retreat. I'm talking real life mentoring on a steady basis.

This guy is one of the best posters on here.

Always solid posts, or very funny mockery of non-solid posts.

"They need mentors and advisers who have their best interest in mind instead of all the hangers on and good time Charlies who glommed onto them looking to enjoy their riches."

That sounds a lot like the NCAA, no? And I don't mean the mentors and advisors.

Advertisement
Growing up broke usually means everyone around you is also broke and in the case of most athletes friends and family see both the talent and potential and tend to try and keep a close bond with them hoping to receive their "cut". Rich people dont buy each other houses or cars, but a rich person surrounded by poor people surely is the center of attention.

Advertisement
Back