2023 Payton Kirkland offered

This year will definitely be a transition up front. The improved coaching, S&C will make a difference but we just don't have the horses, and some of the horses we do have won't really be ready to contribute this year. Being slightly above average as an o line would be good for year 1 till we bring in the A+ caliber hosses.
Yeah it kind of worried me when someone said Laurence Seymore looked like a walk-on out there. Yikes. Been waiting on that kid for it seems like 4 years and he was supposed to be the anchor of future OLs! Not giving up on him but thats not the initial reaction I was looking for with him.

Advertisement
Yeah it kind of worried me when someone said Laurence Seymore looked like a walk-on out there. Yikes. Been waiting on that kid for it seems like 4 years and he was supposed to be the anchor of future OLs! Not giving up on him but thats not the initial reaction I was looking for with him.
He's been on campus a total of 1 year I'd throttle back a little bit.

You also need to consider his issue was ALWAYS size so looks with him won't ever tell the entire story. 247 had him at 6'1 293, Miami lists him at 6'2 315. His initial punch and strength in his hands is his biggest asset but he does not look like an imposing figure and likely never will. If he was 6'5 315 he would have been a top 50 player.

I also just checked, from that class, the top 50 interior OL (which brings you to 800 overall) there is only ONE player below 6'3. That is Big Baby at 6'1, aint even a 6'2 or shorter OL on 247.

I remember his scouting report and we were warned he was 6'1" with shorter arm length so he wasn't gonna wow anyone physically. I think D Money said he's a high 4 star talent in a 2 star body. He probably needs 1 more year to put it all together before he can be in the mix to truly compete next year.

Advertisement
He's been on campus a total of 1 year I'd throttle back a little bit.
The quote was about his height. Not weight. You guys acting like this wasnt a concern for a few people when they took a look at some of our OL. I was surprised the kid from Oregon who has super human strength looked like he was 6'1 or so. Nobody is giving up on anyone. But its okay to say it was somewhat shocking.

The quote was about his height. Not weight. You guys acting like this wasnt a concern for a few people when they took a look at some of our OL. I was surprised the kid from Oregon who has super human strength looked like he was 6'1 or so. Nobody is giving up on anyone. But its okay to say it was somewhat shocking.
I saw it. He's 19 I'm ok not overreacting are you?

Thats what happens when you take multiple center types.. we end up in these dilemmas where we have these small interior guys who cant move anybody. Gaynor played fullback basically for us.. Its like we have 3 center types on interior and when we play any decent team running isnt even an option..

Advertisement
I think this is indicative of how we basically were playing in the minor leagues for the last 20 years and not reaching for the stars when it came to our recruiting. Before Seymour, it was about how good Scaife was...and in the end he is also undersized to take the next level. No disrespect to him, he's played his butt off and hope he continues to. But to take it to the next level, we need to be going for the type of guys Mario is going for and our past coaches didn't even seem to try for or were nowhere in the conversation save for the occasional Evan Neal.

I think this is indicative of how we basically were playing in the minor leagues for the last 20 years and not reaching for the stars when it came to our recruiting. Before Seymour, it was about how good Scaife was...and in the end he is also undersized to take the next level. No disrespect to him, he's played his butt off and hope he continues to. But to take it to the next level, we need to be going for the type of guys Mario is going for and our past coaches didn't even seem to try for or were nowhere in the conversation save for the occasional Evan Neal.
In that Ed Pata interview, he said Mario was basically wanting to rebrand Miami a flagship Trench school.. Hopefully it happens sooner than later cuz sheesh..

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back