Pay them!!

Not a whole lot of substance to this rebuttal...

Why would paying players worsen parity? If Bama and Clemson are doing whatever they want today, paying players would INCREASE parity!

Do you think those schools would experience a revenue uplift due to paying players? They've lost 2 games vs other teams the last 4 years. I don't think paying players would drive a revenue uplift.

But today, they pay the same for their workforce as everyone else, even though their workforce is substantially more talented. Forcing them to pay them market wages would squeeze their margins, likely forcing them to cut back on other spending.

Funding for paying players isn't bottomless. The big money programs will outspend everyone else even more than they are right now, which will decrease parity further.

Advertisement
Does anyone know the monetary value of a scholarship? Giving these kids free housing, food, tuition, travel to games, apparel, etc— it’s worth a lot.

If you don’t like the current arrangement, decline the free ride. No one is forcing you to play college football. It is a voluntary system. They can take their free ride and use it to get into a college most of these kids would never have a chance at attending, all while auditioning for a chance to make millions in the NFL, or they can stay living in a single room with six siblings on the mattress on the floor.

Their choice.
This is one of the main reasons I don't understand fringe guys leaving early for the NFL (DJ Dallas this year, Joe Yearby ect.) IF, they stay in school and work to earn their degree the value of that scholly over the years will go up exponentially. I can't quote the average amount a College grad makes over a H.S. grad, but it is significant on average.

Does anyone know the monetary value of a scholarship? Giving these kids free housing, food, tuition, travel to games, apparel, etc— it’s worth a lot.

If you don’t like the current arrangement, decline the free ride. No one is forcing you to play college football. It is a voluntary system. They can take their free ride and use it to get into a college most of these kids would never have a chance at attending, all while auditioning for a chance to make millions in the NFL, or they can stay living in a single room with six siblings on the mattress on the floor.

Their choice.

are you an idiot or are you an idiot? you can't tell me if your son was zion...or a kyler Murray or whatever superstar college athlete who generate millions just by themselves they shouldn't be paid....

Advertisement
Y’all really opposed to someone making money off of their own name and likeness?
The devil's in the details. Something difficult to game like players charging $10 for autographs at certain events would probably be acceptable, but you just have to be careful of things being used as pure payment. It would be easier to just give them a $15/hr stipend for time spent on field, practicing, or working out.

LOL...Miami's deal with Adidas doesn't help your argument dude. Yes, that deal exists primarily because of the football program, but what's your point? All of that money we are getting from Adidas, and donors, and tv contracts, etc. is getting reinvested back into the athletic program (primarily football), and that reinvestment primarily benefits the football players. It's part of their overall benefits package. Just because a benefit is not paid in cash, doesn't mean a benefit isn't being paid. Players are being paid, it's just being done via food, housing, degrees, tutoring, coaching, strength training, medical care, apparel, etc. The value of that on a per football player basis is in the hundreds of thousands of dollars per year.
960x0.jpg

A&M profited over a million dollars off of each player.

There are private schools on this list .

This is before the ACC Network deal.

Their choice.

They had Notre Dames AD on ESPNU radio and he said there scholarship is $71,000.

Advertisement
I guess very few of you guys actually believe in free markets.

Instead of letting the kids get paid what the free market believes they are worth, most of you are advocating for a system in which employers collude to distort (and in the cases of elite athletes, suppress) wages.

"But they get free education, healthcare, housing, and food!" Must be a lot of Fidel fans in this thread.

Let’s be honest with ourselves, UNLESS you have a dog in the fight or are a coach or educator that cares about these kids on a personal level all that matters as a fan of a team is if your team will get better from this. If by getting these kids paid makes Miami worse because of the amount of money they generate I don’t want it to happen, if the blue bloods get even stronger from this and get even further ahead of the competition I don’t want this, if Miami gets better players because of this **** YEAH I’m all for it. Most all of you including myself aren’t mother Theresa’s around here so stop acting like you REALLY care when it comes down to it.

Should these guys get paid OF COURSE, but as a fan I want what’s best for my team (I honestly don’t know what that is)

Let’s be honest with ourselves, UNLESS you have a dog in the fight or are a coach or educator that cares about these kids on a personal level all that matters as a fan of a team is if your team will get better from this. If by getting these kids paid makes Miami worse because of the amount of money they generate I don’t want it to happen, if the blue bloods get even stronger from this and get even further ahead of the competition I don’t want this, if Miami gets better players because of this **** YEAH I’m all for it. Most all of you including myself aren’t mother Theresa’s around here so stop acting like you REALLY care when it comes down to it.

Should these guys get paid OF COURSE, but as a fan I want what’s best for my team (I honestly don’t know what that is)

BINGO!

71 Grand per year + the amazing future it should set you up for to make lots of income.

I agree I would have loved that but that also would involve classes to teach kids of to spend money because a lot of these kids would just blow it on a fancy car (I would have in college).

Advertisement
I just love how the, "they're working for free" crowd continually glosses over the fact they are getting a full scholarship (tuition, books, meals, expenses), elite athletic training and lower academic admissions standards than the median student. They are earning plenty off their name and likeness. Ask the millions of students who had to borrow money to attend the same universities.

Secondly, if this did come to fruition, it would only further entrench the Alabama, Clemson and Michigan type schools. Those are the only type of schools that could both pay athletes and continue to invest in their programs at an ungodly rate. You guys ***** about their facilities, camps and bagmen but you're playing right into their hands. Alabama would love to be able to pay players in plain sight. They're dying to do it. It would only further their advantage.

What is Miami's monthly scholarship stipend for football players, men's basketball players, and women's basketball players? Do we know they are the same amount? Or is it assumed they are the same amount for each athlete?

Allowing players endorsement income does not have to violate Title IX. Allow female athletes the same opportunity. This doesn't require a male athlete and a female athlete to earn the same income.

Advertisement
I get paying them i get it they should get paid. But if this happens kiss UM being elite a goodbye (even though that may be gone anyway now) letting bama pay players in plain site. Them schools dying for this to happen.

are you an idiot or are you an idiot? you can't tell me if your son was zion...or a kyler Murray or whatever superstar college athlete who generate millions just by themselves they shouldn't be paid....
Paid by who though? Because if you pay them, you pay every scholarship athlete on campus the same. Feeling that they should justifiably be paid and it being logistically possible are 2 very different things. Do they deserve something out of all the money they generate? Probably. Will they ever be paid substantial salaries as long as Title 9 exists? **** no.

That’s a bit of an extreme generalization..

He means its ok to make $$ off of someone who is disadvantaged ...if you can claim you gave them something of value

What's left out is that the University makes far more $$ off of every student athlete.....than the paltry ( in comparison) costs of a college education

Advertisement
Back