Pay them!!

It's only rich kids that play those sports? How about track, swimming, baseball, basketball? This isn't a class warfare issue. They are supposed to be student athletes, not just minor league NFL.

track isn't underfunded neither is basketball and I doubt baseball is either.......... swimming mehhhhh.

I have realistic conversations bro ALMOST all of these kids don't give a **** about school they want to make it to the league. That's real the only ones who care about education are generally the ones with marginal at best talent. the killers come to college to practice spelling N F L.

Advertisement
I assume you meant "few" instead of "most".

That has nothing to do with the "monetary gain" the other poster was talking about. However, if you want to bring that up. Unless they have legitimate shots of making the NFL they are probably better off going to whatever school they can get into, get a real major, and work hard and getting their GPA up. As opposed to racking up tons of brain damage, getting some ********* major with only a decent GPA, and a UF or FSU diploma.

Yes, I meant ‘few’. I obviously would be denied!

And...student-athletes at a football factory school putting more work in the classroom than practice field are going to be run off. Aren’t most scholarships renewed annually, at the school’s option? How many programs are going to run off a third-year player on the bottom of the depth chart?

Ncaa wants a committee to head this up but won't allow schools to pay for a 3rd baseball coach. You start paying kids do you think they will work as hard at getting there degree. Ex with choc from last year. He busted his tail to get into college and worked hard at getting a degree. Do you think he works as hard if he is getting paid. Probably not. Yes some kids it really wouldn't make a difference but a chance to get into college means a lot to others.

Would you be okay with a program that pays kids an annual sum for each year of their varsity sport but is only paid upon graduation?

If you ask them I bet they'll say they are, but okay. Then how about clowns that do kids' parties? How about mimes? How about strippers at ****** clubs? Actors in plays? Magicians? Etc, etc, etc All entertainers and none are paid well let alone VERY well.
You’re just arguing just to argue. I’m coo smh

You make a lot of good points, but I think your argument is fundamentally flawed - there is no, and there has never been, parity in college football. Hundreds/thousands of schools play college football, and only 10-20 have a realistic chance of winning a title. The revenue that those top 10-20 programs earn are relatively similar, so it's unlikely that 1-2 of them will separate themselves- at least not any more than has already happened. Lastly, there is a lot of in-game randomness in football (bad bounces, bad calls, injuries, etc.). Throw in unbalanced scheduling, and it's hard to imagine there will be less parity than there is now - which, again, is extremely low.

Said differently, there is a minimum possible level of parity, due to the factors described above. We're at that minimum, and so by definition can't go any lower.

P5 schools could reduce coaching salary expenses. Reduce Clemson’s annual salary outlay by $3M. This funds roughly $35K per player, assuming 85 scholarship players. Simplistic, yes. There are ways to finance providing more to the student-athlete.

Advertisement
Of course, but we are talking about what should happen and that is they get paid their worth or at least closer to it.

In reality, for any law there are always loopholes. There are ways football players could get extra compensation that could fall under a loophole of Title 9. Hence what this article is about.
Yeah that's why I said making money off of their likeness was a different matter. I agree that's a loophole they could open with a Judge's ruling. But in terms of them getting "paid their worth" by a school I stand by exactly what I said. The system can't determine "their worth" individually and schools don't have the money to pay all the non revenue sports their's either. It is illegal to pay football players more than other sports or men's sports more than women's. Title 9 isn't going anywhere. It's never happening on a large scale unless the ncaa suddenly decides to split their billions amongst the schools every year and I'm sure you agree that's not happening. I'm not saying you on this I think you get the larger picture of Title 9, but the majority crying for them to be paid seem completely and utterly clueless to the fact that that means ALL athletes get paid EXACTLY the same if it happens. They also seem clueless to the fact that just because the ncaa makes billions means nothing to individual schools. The overwhelming majority lose money on athletics as a whole.

You don't see boosters hiring academic and music students for no show jobs just to funnel money to them. You'd absolutely see that in athletics.

That stuff is happening now. Bringing it out into the sunshine can only help balance things out IMO.

Advertisement
Yes, I meant ‘few’. I obviously would be denied!

And...student-athletes at a football factory school putting more work in the classroom than practice field are going to be run off. Aren’t most scholarships renewed annually, at the school’s option? How many programs are going to run off a third-year player on the bottom of the depth chart?

Most conferences have 4 year schollys. ACC is one. Even the ones that don't have the rule know it would be career suicide to try and do it. Remember when Radio tried it and it was a huge deal.

That is the point I am trying to make. THe football schools do not want their kids taking hard majors or spending tons of time in school. THe least they can do is pay them.

Dude. Your statement was "most entertainers get paid VERY well". If pointing out example after example of that being false is "arguing just to argue" than Idk what to tell you Cartman. But I'll let it go too. Go Canes
Clowns? ****** strippers? Mimes? Magicians? Very juvenile argument. And responding to that would be counterproductive. We are on a Miami Hurricanes football forum. The level of entertainment is implied. You began to argue on who is considered an entertainer instead of the topic. If you think Jeff Thomas is on the same level as a ****** stripper or a mime. Idk what to say

Advertisement
Clowns? ****** strippers? Mimes? Magicians? Very juvenile argument. And responding to that would be counterproductive. We are on a Miami Hurricanes football forum. The level of entertainment is implied. You began to argue on who is considered an entertainer instead of the topic. If you think Jeff Thomas is on the same level as a ****** stripper or a mime. Idk what to say
Lol didn't you just counterproductively respond? And actually you began to argue who was an entertainer when you said wannabe actresses that still have to serve on the side to make money aren't considered so. I tried to end it, but thanks for the continual softballs.

Lol didn't you just counterproductively respond? And actually you began to argue who was an entertainer when you said wannabe actresses that still have to serve on the side to make money aren't considered so. I tried to end it, but thanks for the continual softballs.

It is because you are making a ridiculous point. You are comparing these "entertainers" as in people who work as baristas and go to auditions 4x a year as "entertainers". No one is saying "we should pay every single little league football bench warmer". If you take an entertainer that is in the same percentile of their craft as a p5 D1 player they are getting paid decent money.

Now if you really want to take it a step further and compare D1 players to entertainers that are performing in TV shows/films that net similar profits to what a football team makes, they are going to be making WAY more than what your mimes and extras make.

And not to mention you go the Jeff Thomas route lmao? Yeah, he's the most entertaining player on the team. In a free market he would probably get paid the most. But Tyreic Martin has more entertainment value to the masses than an actor in a low budget show with 100,000 viewers? Doubt it. Nobody even sees him. Yet you're arguing that because he's in a sport
It is because you are making a ridiculous point. You are comparing these "entertainers" as in people who work as baristas and go to auditions 4x a year as "entertainers". No one is saying "we should pay every single little league football bench warmer". If you take an entertainer that is in the same percentile of their craft as a p5 D1 player they are getting paid decent money.

Now if you really want to take it a step further and compare D1 players to entertainers that are performing in TV shows/films that net similar profits to what a football team makes, they are going to be making WAY more than what your mimes and extras make.
So a guy like Tommy Kennedy or Tyreic Martin aren't the equivalent of those people in their field of entertainment? Those guys aren't going to perform on tv either. They are costing the school 100 times what they are making it. And for the 40th time YOU CAN'T PAY THE FOOTBALL STARS A PENNY WITHOUT PAYING THE OTHER ATHLETES AT THE SCHOOL THE SAME so the entire argument is mum regardless. The only argument is what the original article was about, getting paid for your likeness not a ******* salary. Which, yet again, is a seperate matter I'm not against.

Advertisement
And not to mention you go the Jeff Thomas route lmao? Yeah, he's the most entertaining player on the team. In a free market he would probably get paid the most. But Tyreic Martin has more entertainment value to the masses than an actor in a low budget show with 100,000 viewers? Doubt it. Nobody even sees him. Yet you're arguing that because he's in a sport

So a guy like Tommy Kennedy or Tyreic Martin aren't the equivalent of those people in their field of entertainment? Those guys aren't going to perform on tv either. They are costing the school 100 times what they are making it. And for the 40th time YOU CAN'T PAY THE FOOTBALL STARS A PENNY WITHOUT PAYING THE OTHER ATHLETES AT THE SCHOOL THE SAME so the entire argument is mum regardless. The only argument is what the original article was about, getting paid for your likeness not a ******* salary. Which, yet again, is a seperate matter I'm not against.

That is false. Even if they never get to play a down they provide help on the practice squad. NFL teams pay guys tons of money to never play a down and only help in practice.

That is false. Even if they never get to play a down they provide help on the practice squad. NFL teams pay guys tons of money to never play a down and only help in practice.
That's because they make a gazillion more than colleges do and it's their "job". Non amateur status. Falls under the same laws.

That's because they make a gazillion more than colleges do and it's their "job". Non amateur status. Falls under the same laws.

You completely missed the point.

You said guys like Tommy Kennedy are the equivalent of the barrista guys in entertainment. I said you are wrong.

The barista guys in entertainment can be replaced by millions of people. I could go say one line and pretend to do something in the background of a TV show right now.

Providing practice squad reps is actually important. I was showing that the NFL finds practice squads important enough to pay them large salaries. I wasn't saying we should pay them the same amount. Just that they are clearly important pieces of the team.

I'm not denying to an extent the system is ****ed up. I'm denying that under current laws you can just do something to fix it or make it fair. They can't just decide to start paying players. Its not happening. Really their only option is to allow the profit off of likeness thing.

Advertisement
Back