Coaching Patterson Out at TCU

As funny as it might sound, Georgia Southern was actually a pretty good job.

Jeff Monken before he went to Army had Georgia Southern winning 10/11 wins a year consistently (even though they were still FCS back then). But even once they went FBS & joined the Sun Belt Willie Fritz had them winning as well before he took the Tulane job.

Actually Chad Lunsford did pretty well there too, he got fired mainly because their new AD didn’t like him & wanted to move on from him, but they’re not that bad of program & can win in the Sun Belt when they have a good coach.

It’s the perfect place for a FCS coach to come up & transition into being a FBS G5 coach, guys like Brian Bohannon, Jason Simpson, Dawson Odums or even Coach Prime Deion Sanders would all be good IMO at a place like Georgia Southern.
Ga Southern alum here and until they update their outdated *** offense (they tend to hire coaches who run that stupid triple option or some version of it) they'll continue to be bottom feeders in the sun Belt. Every school in that conference seems to be passing them by and they haven't won the SBC since their inaugural year.

Advertisement
I'm not even gonna read all the retardedness. Patterson would make the playoffs at Miami. An elite coach who got stale at a mid-level school. All you need to do is look at TCU prior to him. They were completely irrelevant for 40 years.

I would've killed for ten 11-win seasons at Miami like TCU have had since 2000. TEN.

Of course UM won't hire him. Because they're dumb. They'll throw the Hecht at Mario.

From 2001 - 2017, Patterson went 160 - 56 (.722)
From 2018 - now, Patterson has gone 21-22 (.488)

I’m not sure what’s going on, but TCU hasn’t gone more than 2 seasons in a row w/on winning 10+ games. Maybe he is burnt out. 20 yrs at one spot can do that. We missed the boat on him yrs ago. Definitely a legend, probably one of the GOATs for what he did at a small school in FT Worth, TX w/o the recruiting resources like the big schools surrounding him.

Advertisement
From 2001 - 2017, Patterson went 160 - 56 (.722)
From 2018 - now, Patterson has gone 21-22 (.488)

I’m not sure what’s going on, but TCU hasn’t gone more than 2 seasons in a row w/on winning 10+ games. Maybe he is burnt out. 20 yrs at one spot can do that. We missed the boat on him yrs ago. Definitely a legend, probably one of the GOATs for what he did at a small school in FT Worth, TX w/o the recruiting resources like the big schools surrounding him.
He was ripped off outta a Playoff spot in 2013....They very well might have won it all...

He was ripped off outta a Playoff spot in 2013....They very well might have won it all...
Yeah it was the 2014 season…Oregon loss to a then Unranked Arizona team. Granted, they did beat the snot outta them in the Pac-12 title game, and AU was a top 10 team at the time of the rematch, but TCU’s lone loss was against a then #5 ranked Baylor team who finished w/ only 2 losses on the season. TCU had a solid S.O.S that yr & was an AP #3 at the time of voting. I think they should’ve gotten the nod over Oregon, but I think not having a B12 Championship Game, at that time, hurt TCU as they weren’t considered a definitive B12 champion, but a Co-Champion.

It could be also argued in 2010 they could’ve gotten the nod over Oregon to play Auburn in the championship game. That TCU team went 13-0 and played a solid schedule.

Yeah it was the 2014 season…Oregon loss to a then Unranked Arizona team. Granted, they did beat the snot outta them in the Pac-12 title game, and AU was a top 10 team at the time of the rematch, but TCU’s lone loss was against a then #5 ranked Baylor team who finished w/ only 2 losses on the season. TCU had a solid S.O.S that yr & was an AP #3 at the time of voting. I think they should’ve gotten the nod over Oregon, but I think not having a B12 Championship Game, at that time, hurt TCU as they weren’t considered a definitive B12 champion, but a Co-Champion.

It could be also argued in 2010 they could’ve gotten the nod over Oregon to play Auburn in the championship game. That TCU team went 13-0 and played a solid schedule.
JJ and Patterson have been close friends for yrs....that 2014 TCU Defense was filthy...

Advertisement
Justin Fuente worked there many years ago, he hasn't won much of late but I still think he is a good coach....lots of good assistants on that Patterson staff, btw.
He's another coach to add to the "HOT SEAT" list. He may have held off the axe by beating Ga Tech this week but their fan base wants him gone..

I think Patterson would have been a home run hire for UM a decade ago but I think he’s done now. He made his name as a defensive coach who countered all the spread/air raid offenses in the big 12 with a 4-2-5 defense before anyone else was using it. He’s seemed to have trouble having both an offense and a defense at the same time over the years. He’s had some teams that were solid on D but couldn’t score and a few teams that could really move the ball but couldn’t stop anyone. It’s probably been about 7 or 8 years since they’ve been good on both sides of the ball. Not coincidentally, it’s been about that long since they had a good team. He definitely put them on the map and earned the benefit of the doubt from the school but they’re only getting worse as a program.

The Richt comparison is apt.

Advertisement
What could have been.... to think that this person could have been our coach in 2003 after Coker was pushed out.

Instead Shalala pulls off her PC cr@p and hires Shannon at the last minute.

We win at least 1 or 2 NCs under Patterson.

This University is cursed with the worst leadership... specialized in making the dumbest hiring decisions

This is why fickell and Napier are being really really selective about their next jobs. Tcu expects to be good?? Their success under Patterson is the best they’ve seen. Tough act to follow now that Patterson has rearranged their expectations

This makes both the TTech & TCU vacancies even more interesting, because Traylor was said to be one of the top guys in consideration for the TTech job...

But Sonny Dykes is still highly in the running to return to TTech, there’s a lot of history there for him given his Dad Spike coached there for 13 years & ushered in the modern era of TTech football & Sonny was one of Leach’s first hires when he took over for Spike.

I actually think it would be a lateral move for Sonny, SMU is pretty much on equal footing as a program as TTech is, especially since the Dallas area boosters have invested significantly into the program recently.

Dana Holgorsen given his new found success in Houston will probably be in consideration for the TTech & TCU jobs as well given his connection to both programs.

Eric Morris at Incarnate Word is another young upcoming X’s & O’s guru from the Kingsbury TTech tree that will be talked about as a potential name for some of these job openings as well.

With Houston jumping up to the Big 12 I don't see Holgorsen leaving for TCU or Tech, Houston will arguably be the better job when they make the leap.

I didn't know the numbers for that Traylor extension, god **** lol. That might be a tough sell for Tech and TCU.

Briles name has been thrown around a bunch for the Tech job, and not Kendall. If that happens woooooo buddy.

Advertisement
Gary Patterson might be done. Maybe he drops down and goes Frank Solich at a G5 school. His recent complaints about the current state of recruiting, etc. might be his No Country For Old Men moment...either way, he's an all-timer. Great coach...he just might be over it.

These Big XII jobs aren't as **** as some of yall make them out to be. Big XII is basically American Conference level moving forward. Going to TTech now seems like a bad career move if you're Sonny Dykes.

I'm not even gonna read all the retardedness. Patterson would make the playoffs at Miami. An elite coach who got stale at a mid-level school. All you need to do is look at TCU prior to him. They were completely irrelevant for 40 years.

I would've killed for ten 11-win seasons at Miami like TCU have had since 2000. TEN.

Of course UM won't hire him. Because they're dumb. They'll throw the Hecht at Mario.
He decided to retire to actually pursue other interests outside of football. Believe he and a group have a band and really enjoy playing. He left mid season to turn the interim responsibility over to another coach and to let the school do their new HC coach without any distractions. Class act. Real gentleman. Wish him well.

Advertisement
Back