Patchan to the portal

Advertisement
I don’t blame him for wanting to go elsewhere. It is actually better for us because every snap he takes is a snap one of the monsters is not getting. Don’t kid yourself they brought in Roche for a reason, maybe Scott told them he was leaving if he did not start.

I don't think it's a huge blow but I'd hesitate to call it "good." The only guy on that list who has done anything meaningful at UM is Rousseau. Roche should be a great addition but he's 235 lbs. Phillips hasn't played in a year. The other guys are still very young and haven't proven anything. It's not really a game changer for us but I think SP could have stayed and still put up draftable numbers here.
Draftable numbers? I don’t know about all of that. He has a better chance of doing that elsewhere as a starter compared to being the 4th dend this year at best

Advertisement
Wish Patch nothing but the best! The writing was on the wall when Roche transferred in. He fought his way into starting (tho I will say he shouldnt have been playing over GR15). I'm sure he wants to spend what could be his last year on the field, playing as much as he can.

Sidenote: We have soo much depth at DE this shouldnt hurt one bit. Really Glad it wasnt an interior DL that hit the portal

Advertisement
You don’t clearly, as I’ve said Miami in all likelihood will lose Rousseau after next season, Roche., we need to develop depth for that next season to combat future departures that are assuredly going to come.
You develop depth by giving reps to players in order of performance.

You don’t play bad players just to “develop” them.

Last edited:
longterm depth. Patch would have been one and done with none of the younger guys getting any experience. if Rousseau goes pro we need two DE ends ready to start next year. It makes sense for both parties.
Patchan is a known commodity.

He gives you solid, if unspectacular, reps.

We have absolutely no idea what the young guys bring.

Advertisement
Patchan leaving is not hurting the depth that bad, some of y'all are overexaggerating. Him leaving does not consider him a quitter, hes has been here for 5 years and probably knows that he will be passed on the depth chart by Roche and Phillips, there are also young guys like Chantz, Cameron William's, and Harvey who will probably contribute as well; this move is the best for him.

Patchan never really did anything well here. Wasn't a great run defender, definitely couldn't rush the QB, didn't set the edge well, got bullied most of the time. I have no idea why he played so much. He seems like a good guy who gave everything to the program, and I can respect him for that.

Advertisement
It’s not good news.
No matter how you spin it.
Its not a great decision for him either.

This is not a huge blow but it’s not a good thing all around.

Respectfully West end zone, Patch did everything asked of him for 5 years...he was granted a 6th year (and rightfully so) if he's ever to play in the NFL he needs to play FT and show what he can do. In Scott's particular case..it's best for him to be selfish at this time..he sure wasn't when they asked him yo play TE a couple years ago.
Why does he need to play every snap to get a shot at the NFL? NFL doesn’t give a fck about that. In fact, they prefer picking guys with less wear and tear on them. If you’re playing at UM and have NFL ability, the NFL will find you here.

Patchan is a known commodity.

He gives you solid, if unspectacular, reps.

We have absolutely no idea what the young guys bring.

No we don’t but if a guy who loves miami as much as he does is transferring it tells me he didn’t think he was going to play much. This is not a lingard situation. Writing on the wall was he was not as talented as other guys we have at DE and he was smart enough to realize that.

Advertisement
Back