Patchan gettin after it #TNM

Advertisement
You ain't lying he looks awful.
View attachment 80790

I'm 37 and do Crossfit so I do this lift a decent amount. It's fantastic for you in multiple ways. Glad to see these young men are doing it. Especially Patchan doing 225 with the knee issues he's had, very awesome to see him do it with good form.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I'm glad to see he hit it, but there are a lot of deficiencies in the lift. He's using a lot of compensation patterns (specifically watch his feet, and some of the smaller quad muscles), and I hope that **** gets fixed up because otherwise is can lead to more injuries.

S&C coaches have a hard and unsung job because they have to write programming and do it in a way that kids will follow it while still getting gains and limiting injuries while having a limited amount of teaching time.

Advertisement
I'm glad to see he hit it, but there are a lot of deficiencies in the lift. He's using a lot of compensation patterns (specifically watch his feet, and some of the smaller quad muscles), and I hope that **** gets fixed up because otherwise is can lead to more injuries.

S&C coaches have a hard and unsung job because they have to write programming and do it in a way that kids will follow it while still getting gains and limiting injuries while having a limited amount of teaching time.
OH squats require a lot of mobility which I'm sure lots of the bigger guys are lacking. As you mention, it's evident in this video. The question becomes, is there a better way to gain mobility, strength in the legs, and stabilize the upper body than the OH squat? And at a lower risk of injury. I think so.

Like you said, tough job that isn't helped by lack of understanding by the NCAA, almost all head coaches and many strength coaches.

OH squats require a lot of mobility which I'm sure lots of the bigger guys are lacking. As you mention, it's evident in this video. The question becomes, is there a better way to gain mobility, strength in the legs, and stabilize the upper body than the OH squat? And at a lower risk of injury. I think so.

Like you said, tough job that isn't helped by lack of understanding by the NCAA, almost all head coaches and many strength coaches.

I would actually disagree that it's a lack of mobility that's causing the problem, especially in his case. Most D1 athletes genetically have the raw "mobility". Due to the nature of his previous injuries, my guess is that he lacks a lot of the motor patterns for proper joint stabilization and was probably never taught correctly post-surgery because the goal of the team doctors and the patient are to get back to the field ASAP rather than slowing it down a bit for longer success. I think there are better tools for him as an individual, but from a team perspective it's really motivating to see.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back