Pat Surtain

Advertisement
Playing through the hands is apart of fundamental technique to complete the play.

If you can't get a pick, you have to play through the hands & do everything you can to separate the ball from the WR. That's why it's so important to learn proper technique because even if you're beat on a route your body positioning should be such that you still have a chance to get you hand in there in between the catch zone & knock it out of the WR's hands or affect the catch to your best ability.

The turning your head aspect is something that every Coach should teach but not alot of them always do because they believe you need to keep eyes on the WR at all times. But the problem with that philosophy is that when you face guard, you have no idea where the ball is & leave yourself susceptible to Moss'd or a P.I..

Too many CB's haven't learned that QB's will specifically throw at you if they see you're not watching the ball. They're so worried about the losing the WR that they believe if they take their eyes off him they won't be able to cover the breaking routes off the WR's stems. But what they fail to realize is that the WR is going to stem his route anyway & they're banking on you not locating the ball.

The way to alleviate that worry is to close the distance by pressing chest to chest at the top of the route & using your upper body to both slow down & keep the WR within range, while you locate the ball, then it because a Basketball style boxing out play where you establish your right to the ball by reshuffling your feet & walling off the WR.

When that happens the result 90% of the time will be the same; you either pick it off, get a PBU/PD or cause an incompletion. CB's get beat because they either don't have the physical ability to keep up with the WR to put themselves in position to make a play on the ball, or they play with such bad technique they spend the entire route trying to regain footing & never have a chance to get to the ball.

Playing through the hands is apart of fundamental technique to complete the play.

If you can't get a pick, you have to play through the hands & do everything you can to separate the ball from the WR. That's why it's so important to learn proper technique because even if you're beat on a route your body positioning should be such that you still have a chance to get you hand in there in between the catch zone & knock it out of the WR's hands or affect the catch to your best ability.

The turning your head aspect is something that every Coach should teach but not alot of them always do because they believe you need to keep eyes on the WR at all times. But the problem with that philosophy is that when you face guard, you have no idea where the ball is & leave yourself susceptible to Moss'd or a P.I..

Too many CB's haven't learned that QB's will specifically throw at you if they see you're not watching the ball. They're so worried about the losing the WR that they believe if they take their eyes off him they won't be able to cover the breaking routes off the WR's stems. But what they fail to realize is that the WR is going to stem his route anyway & they're banking on you not locating the ball.

The way to alleviate that worry is to close the distance by pressing chest to chest at the top of the route & using your upper body to both slow down & keep the WR within range, while you locate the ball, then it because a Basketball style boxing out play where you establish your right to the ball by reshuffling your feet & walling off the WR.

When that happens the result 90% of the time will be the same; you either pick it off, get a PBU/PD or cause an incompletion. CB's get beat because they either don't have the physical ability to keep up with the WR to put themselves in position to make a play on the ball, or they play with such bad technique they spend the entire route trying to regain footing & never have a chance to get to the ball.

This is great stuff.

Let me add something from the QB perspective.

How a DB plays through the hands and tracks the football, can affect ball placement. If a DB does things (or in this case, doesn’t do things) that allows for more latitude and margin for error in ball placement, then the QB/WR gained an advantage that has nothing to do with the play call or the route itself.

It’s stuff like this that digs into the back and forth intricacies of the game.

Jarrian Jones was one of the highest graded CB's in the Nation last year, although there's many variables that factor into that. And Renardo Green played pretty well leading the ACC in forced incompletions.

But given the fact he's only been a College Coach for 1 year, I'd say his overall evaluation as a Coach in totality is still TBD.

Recruiting only matters to me if the on field play isn't producing. Idc really care if a Coach is an Ace recruiter who can't Coach, because CB is position that needs a technically savvy teacher that can get the players from point A to point B. The myth that if you just recruit/sign a bunch of 5-stars & they will miraculously play well on their own without learning proper technique, is just that, a myth.

Bama has only had 2 CB's drafted in the 1st round in the last 10 years & UGA has only had 1... They sign 5-star Corners in pretty much every class, so what does that tell you?
Who is the best technically sound/tactician DB coach in college now?

Good for Mario to defer to Guidry.... should be his decision, not Mario's.
Yes, that is basically how it should work-ish...

Higher echelon leader should give latitude to his two key critical leaders (OC/DC) on bringing in their subordinate leaders as well.

÷/- of course.

I’d have preferred Surtain but to me the last two hires hopefully are coaches who are hungrier and will grind like Mario does but they also seem to be somewhat budget hires in comparison. Like they definitely saved money going from Addae to Jackson and likely saved money going from Harris to Merritt. Not a bad thing if they are better coaches but still.

Advertisement
Give me two good reasons why Surtain is a better option than Jackson

As I said...My comment wasn't based on Jackson.

My comment was towards the questions about Surtain recruiting being a ? mark. He has certainly recruited well so far…And seems to have big pull in Broward.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Now can Miami bring in any of these gatos?
John Candy No GIF by Laff

CIS Definition: “whatever someone with a podcast said it was on the internet”
I define development as a kid comes to you with certain tools and over time the coaches help you add more tools/skills that eventually leads to production on the field. When this happens consistently that's where a coach or program gets the reputation as being a developmental guy/school.

Last edited:
Well, he definitely know what not to do,
if your UM recruiting a highly regarded local CB. We keep hiring guys who don’t know that.

Advertisement
Jarrian Jones was one of the highest graded CB's in the Nation last year, although there's many variables that factor into that. And Renardo Green played pretty well leading the ACC in forced incompletions.

But given the fact he's only been a College Coach for 1 year, I'd say his overall evaluation as a Coach in totality is still TBD.

Recruiting only matters to me if the on field play isn't producing. Idc really care if a Coach is an Ace recruiter who can't Coach, because CB is position that needs a technically savvy teacher that can get the players from point A to point B. The myth that if you just recruit/sign a bunch of 5-stars & they will miraculously play well on their own without learning proper technique, is just that, a myth.

Bama has only had 2 CB's drafted in the 1st round in the last 10 years & UGA has only had 1... They sign 5-star Corners in pretty much every class, so what does that tell you?
Pure FACTS bro.

Advertisement
The myth that if you just recruit/sign a bunch of 5-stars & they will miraculously play well on their own without learning proper technique, is just that, a myth.

This is wrong. Cornerback has the highest recruiting hit rate.

“Cornerback tops the list, although this was an odd breakdown. Twelve of the 17 five-star corners were hits, and nine of the 17 were taken in the first two rounds, which are both outstanding hit rates.”

“Cornerback tops the list, although this was an odd breakdown. Twelve of the 17 five-star corners were hits, and nine of the 17 were taken in the first two rounds, which are both outstanding hit rates.”

That's an interesting study.
So yeah the hit-rate is high with the 5 star DB recruits but question remains whether their talents were maximized in college and this is where one can find good examples at UM where we had highly recruited DBs who did OK but then looked better at the next level.

That's an interesting study.
So yeah the hit-rate is high with the 5 star DB recruits but question remains whether their talents were maximized in college and this is where one can find good examples at UM where we had highly recruited DBs who did OK but then looked better at the next level.
Their is more than one truth. Being a 5-star alone isn't enough as Memnon Illustrated. CB is also one of the easiest positions to identify talent as mossmadness illustrated. At any rate, those guys still need coaching, which should go without saying. We've had a development issue across the board for decades.

That wasn't my point.

I didn't say that they didn't have a high hit rate, my point was even 5-star Corners still need Coaching.

People seem to believe that if you just sign a 5-star player that the player doesn't still need good Coaching in order to actualize their potential, which is where the debate comes from between valuing a recruiter position coach or a more technically savvy Coach.

That was my point.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back