Pat Surtain

Advertisement
Jarrian Jones was one of the highest graded CB's in the Nation last year, although there's many variables that factor into that. And Renardo Green played pretty well leading the ACC in forced incompletions.

But given the fact he's only been a College Coach for 1 year, I'd say his overall evaluation as a Coach in totality is still TBD.

Recruiting only matters to me if the on field play isn't producing. Idc really care if a Coach is an Ace recruiter who can't Coach, because CB is position that needs a technically savvy teacher that can get the players from point A to point B. The myth that if you just recruit/sign a bunch of 5-stars & they will miraculously play well on their own without learning proper technique, is just that, a myth.

Bama has only had 2 CB's drafted in the 1st round in the last 10 years & UGA has only had 1... They sign 5-star Corners in pretty much every class, so what does that tell you?
I Guess If You Say So GIF

I’m just passing it along. It’s believable given that he’s a millionaire NFL player and may not want to suck up to high school kids. But I don’t know if it’s true or not.

If he is low effort, it’s a problem. Rumph developed NFL guys and had elite pass efficiency rankings, too. The only guy that I had faith in to recruit hard and develop was TRob.
Tough combination of traits to find out in a coach. Then combine that with a realistic ego/mindset to coach under a DC like Guidry (respected in theindustry, but not a top tier name)

Advertisement
Playing through the hands is apart of fundamental technique to complete the play.

If you can't get a pick, you have to play through the hands & do everything you can to separate the ball from the WR. That's why it's so important to learn proper technique because even if you're beat on a route your body positioning should be such that you still have a chance to get you hand in there in between the catch zone & knock it out of the WR's hands or affect the catch to your best ability.

The turning your head aspect is something that every Coach should teach but not alot of them always do because they believe you need to keep eyes on the WR at all times. But the problem with that philosophy is that when you face guard, you have no idea where the ball is & leave yourself susceptible to Moss'd or a P.I..

Too many CB's haven't learned that QB's will specifically throw at you if they see you're not watching the ball. They're so worried about the losing the WR that they believe if they take their eyes off him they won't be able to cover the breaking routes off the WR's stems. But what they fail to realize is that the WR is going to stem his route anyway & they're banking on you not locating the ball.

The way to alleviate that worry is to close the distance by pressing chest to chest at the top of the route & using your upper body to both slow down & keep the WR within range, while you locate the ball, then it because a Basketball style boxing out play where you establish your right to the ball by reshuffling your feet & walling off the WR.

When that happens the result 90% of the time will be the same; you either pick it off, get a PBU/PD or cause an incompletion. CB's get beat because they either don't have the physical ability to keep up with the WR to put themselves in position to make a play on the ball, or they play with such bad technique they spend the entire route trying to regain footing & never have a chance to get to the ball.

**** it; I wish I can 💯 this post 100x. 1000% accurate

Last edited:
Playing through the hands is apart of fundamental technique to complete the play.

If you can't get a pick, you have to play through the hands & do everything you can to separate the ball from the WR. That's why it's so important to learn proper technique because even if you're beat on a route your body positioning should be such that you still have a chance to get you hand in there in between the catch zone & knock it out of the WR's hands or affect the catch to your best ability.

The turning your head aspect is something that every Coach should teach but not alot of them always do because they believe you need to keep eyes on the WR at all times. But the problem with that philosophy is that when you face guard, you have no idea where the ball is & leave yourself susceptible to Moss'd or a P.I..

Too many CB's haven't learned that QB's will specifically throw at you if they see you're not watching the ball. They're so worried about the losing the WR that they believe if they take their eyes off him they won't be able to cover the breaking routes off the WR's stems. But what they fail to realize is that the WR is going to stem his route anyway & they're banking on you not locating the ball.

The way to alleviate that worry is to close the distance by pressing chest to chest at the top of the route & using your upper body to both slow down & keep the WR within range, while you locate the ball, then it because a Basketball style boxing out play where you establish your right to the ball by reshuffling your feet & walling off the WR.

When that happens the result 90% of the time will be the same; you either pick it off, get a PBU/PD or cause an incompletion. CB's get beat because they either don't have the physical ability to keep up with the WR to put themselves in position to make a play on the ball, or they play with such bad technique they spend the entire route trying to regain footing & never have a chance to get to the ball.
Thanks for letting me know I’m not crazy. That’s how I recall the position being taught. That face guarding bull**** is DEFINITELY what was taught at Jawja. I used to get infuriated watching Ty in pass coverage. If they don’t neuter that part of his game, he’s a top 20 shoe-in instead of 33rd overall…

Advertisement

bro you're waaaaaay too ******* smart to not coach

FSU was 11th in Pass Defense & 6th in Pass Efficiency Defense.

These people around here are ridiculously unserious lol.

FSU’s secondary was lights the **** out. Gonna have multiple kids drafted from it. And then they signed one of the best DB classes in the country in 2024 and that’s even with losing the crown jewel, KJ Bolden.

Back to the OP, this is a D masterclass in spin. I’m almost actually impressed.

bro you're waaaaaay too ******* smart to coach
FIFY

Assistant coaches here make nothing or close to nothing at the high school level. Unless you work at a private school.

It tells me that it’s a hard position to develop, technique wise, and intellectually as well as effective field communication. Also tells me that five star athletic high school traits don’t always translate to the college game, especially when it comes to the cornerback position. What does it tell you?

Cornerback has one of the highest 5* hit rates.

Advertisement
These people around here are ridiculously unserious lol.

FSU’s secondary was lights the **** out. Gonna have multiple kids drafted from it. And then they signed one of the best DB classes in the country in 2024 and that’s even with losing the crown jewel, KJ Bolden.

Back to the OP, this is a D masterclass in spin. I’m almost actually impressed.
The question is how much can be attributed to Surtain. Addae had all the stats behind him, but he turned out to be a lazy recruiter. So was Rumph, despite his ability to develop. TRob's stats actually didn't look good here, but he worked like an animal and had no shortage of big-time job opportunities at the end of the season (including an offer from Mario).

I don't know much about Surtain as a coach. But I suspect the people on both sides of the argument know just as little. The staff made a decision and time will tell if it was the correct one.

Advertisement
Jarrian Jones was one of the highest graded CB's in the Nation last year, although there's many variables that factor into that. And Renardo Green played pretty well leading the ACC in forced incompletions.

But given the fact he's only been a College Coach for 1 year, I'd say his overall evaluation as a Coach in totality is still TBD.

Recruiting only matters to me if the on field play isn't producing. Idc really care if a Coach is an Ace recruiter who can't Coach, because CB is position that needs a technically savvy teacher that can get the players from point A to point B. The myth that if you just recruit/sign a bunch of 5-stars & they will miraculously play well on their own without learning proper technique, is just that, a myth.

Bama has only had 2 CB's drafted in the 1st round in the last 10 years & UGA has only had 1... They sign 5-star Corners in pretty much every class, so what does that tell you?

Correct. And Correct.

On the second point, it tells you what every coach knows: recruiting matters, but so does development. Kids don’t just fall off a truck knowing how to be great football players. The mental and physical development is critical. You can’t be great unless you have both recruiting ….. (which is 70% evaluation and 30% relentless grinding/salesmanship), …. AND development.

On the first point, it’s why I laugh when people on here say. Just recruit 4/5 star QB’s from 24/7 and all is fine. Really?? GTFOH and stop wasting my time.

Thanks for letting me know I’m not crazy. That’s how I recall the position being taught. That face guarding bull**** is DEFINITELY what was taught at Jawja. I used to get infuriated watching Ty in pass coverage. If they don’t neuter that part of his game, he’s a top 20 shoe-in instead of 33rd overall…
If he came here he possibly could have saved Rumphs job and maybe the CB room looks different today IDK. Was probably the biggest miss IMO outside of Tyrique(from high school) in the last 10 years.

Advertisement
Back