Past Troubles

The reality is that Golden HAD to take a lot of kids who were "reaches" the last few years. Wether it was from the NCAA mess, or just because we have been mediocre, to get top talent, its clear AG reached hard on some kids, academically, and character wise. Which is why weve had the Griffin, Lockley, AJL, etc situations, and the EJ, Terry, Paul situations. Many of these kids are very talented, but many programs shied away because of academics, or character issues. AG took chances on them hoping maybe some would pan out.

Griffin is a perfect example. PHENOMENAL talent that any team would kill for, eventually ended up with us because he has zero chance to qualify. After a year of all this, looks like he, and we, will be striking out. AJL was another one. Lockley yet another.

It sucks, but I dont blame AG for taking some chances here. I dont think we had a choice. The alternative was to end up with more Jimmy Gaines and Delmar Taylors. This year we are FINALLY, for whatever reason, hitting pretty good with top So Fla, and national talent. And the only real thing different, is the NCAA mess is over. So when AG says that it was hurting recruiting for us big time, I think its hard to argue with that. Look at the sh*t show we had the last few years, and look how we are recruiting now.

Advertisement
That's why Butch Davis is a master evaluator. He evaluates character too. Seems like Cloudy can't get that part right. Evaluating character is what separates the great recruiter/evaluators from the mediocre ones. There might have been a reason that guys like Eddie Johnson and Gabe Terry didn't have any big offers. Local schools stayed away from Eddie like the plague.

On top of all that, most of the guys you listed haven't gone on to great success or moved on to top level programs.

really? Eddie would have been a star on those Butch Davis teams. Nate Webster was cut from the same cloth...

The, uh, dude who raped that underage chick?

Every school can say the same thing... Transfers, non-qualifiers, and dismissals are all a part of reality concerning college sports... There's no utopia regarding college football... I'm sure Bama wished Nick Marshall would have remain a corner at UGA, but he transferred and converted to a qb...

We already had a thread where he compared how many kids we lost compared to how many kids other schools had lost. We had more kids not qualify or transfer after one year in one class than VT and Duke had combined in a 3 year span or some **** like that.

That's why Butch Davis is a master evaluator. He evaluates character too. Seems like Cloudy can't get that part right. Evaluating character is what separates the great recruiter/evaluators from the mediocre ones. There might have been a reason that guys like Eddie Johnson and Gabe Terry didn't have any big offers. Local schools stayed away from Eddie like the plague.

On top of all that, most of the guys you listed haven't gone on to great success or moved on to top level programs.

So which is it? We get the people attacking Golden and Shalala because we supposedly only recruit high-character kids and don't get the "goons" any more. Then we've got some people (amazingly some of the same ones complaining about the lack of goons) that also attack Golden for not being able to evaluate character based on the players that left or were kicked out.

You're coming off dopey. I don't care about that stupid goon ****. I'll leave that for the *****. I'll take Ghandi in here if the motherfcker can play winning football. You're misguided as usual in your attempt to come up with some cute excuse for your boy Corch Al.

Keep trusting the process, shill.

You're coming off as an idiot. You can't deny that you have people attacking Golden for BOTH issues, even though they are mutually exclusive. I didn't name you specifically, but your nonsense about Golden not being able to evaluate character is in complete and total contradiction to the fellow idiots who whine that he doesn't get enough "goons". Both BS arguments invented to attack Golden, but utterly baseless. Want to criticize his defensive scheme? Fine, there are certainly problems. Want to criticize his loyalty to D'Onofrio. That's fair too. But the nonsense about his recruiting is beyond idiotic.

This in my opinion is tge buggest reason we are not where we need to be. Look at this list of people that could be on our team if it wasnt for grades/discipline. I understand we can only give people so many chances but imagine our team this yr with some of these guys. Anderson and legget solidifying our dbacks and also allow corn to redshirt. Bond, terry, and kinnard all getting reps and linebacker/special teams. Jean louis and griffin would have been huge when waters, hurns and dorsett were all banged up. Glenn getting reps at DT since he was considered a great DT coming out. And lastly grooms would have filled in nicely without Duke. This list doesnt even include all the transfers/dropouts over the last few yrs like the davis', nelson, delmar taylor, briscoe, ivery, storm, etc etc etc. If we can hold onto our own committments through grade issues and transfers we'd be fine.

Bond
Griffin
Lockley
Jean louis
Terry
Witt
Finnie
Grooms
Johnson
Kinnard
Glenn
Anderson
Legget

This is why Urban had been so successful, because he has the keys to the admissions board...!!!

Advertisement
The lack of talent and depth are the result of the perfect storm. First, Shannon alienated the S. Fla coaches, which is simply mind-boggling; then he followed that up by essentially not recruiting in his last year. At least two of FSU's studs - Benjamin and Freeman - could have been leading our team this year.

Then the relentless recruiter Golden comes in to fix the mess. In a matter of weeks he put together a class with duct tape and gauze, including switching Finnie and Paul at the 11th hour. It was a bad class, but about is good as could be expected under the circumstances.

Then, in his first full-year of recruiting, the Shapiro mess blows up. Our competitors hammered the potential sanctions against us, and it undoubtedly affected some of our prospects. Yet, he still pulled some studs - Bush, Howard, among others. But DT recruiting was an epic disaster.

now that we are beyond the Shapiro mess - and notwithstanding the crap product on the field - he has put together an outstanding class. That does not minimize how disappointing it will be to see Rudolph and Cook in garnet and gold. But it's still a class stacked with talent, at least for now.

So irrespective of your views of Golden's gameday coaching, he is on the road to re-stocking the talent.

What Golden has done in recruiting so far, under the circumstances, shows me that he can bring in the talent to field UM caliber teams and win in the ways we expect. What I still need to see evidence of is that he and his staff can develop that talent to its potential and coach it so that it is put in the best position to succeed on the field.

In other words, recruiting is the one place where I can see evidence of a "trend" demonstrating improvement from year-to-year. I don't see the other positive trends he mentioned in his press conference and, in fact, the ones I have seen are disturbing. I'm just hoping that improving talent will address those, as that's the only option available to me right now.

So which is it? We get the people attacking Golden and Shalala because we supposedly only recruit high-character kids and don't get the "goons" any more. Then we've got some people (amazingly some of the same ones complaining about the lack of goons) that also attack Golden for not being able to evaluate character based on the players that left or were kicked out.

You're coming off dopey. I don't care about that stupid goon ****. I'll leave that for the *****. I'll take Ghandi in here if the motherfcker can play winning football. You're misguided as usual in your attempt to come up with some cute excuse for your boy Corch Al.

Keep trusting the process, shill.

You're coming off as an idiot. You can't deny that you have people attacking Golden for BOTH issues, even though they are mutually exclusive. I didn't name you specifically, but your nonsense about Golden not being able to evaluate character is in complete and total contradiction to the fellow idiots who whine that he doesn't get enough "goons". Both BS arguments invented to attack Golden, but utterly baseless. Want to criticize his defensive scheme? Fine, there are certainly problems. Want to criticize his loyalty to D'Onofrio. That's fair too. But the nonsense about his recruiting is beyond idiotic.

If you weren't such a ****** you'd realize that I can't give an inconsistent opinion based on what other people are saying because I'm not the one saying those things. I'll say it again for you because I can see you're mentally challenged, and I'm a friend and teacher of disadvantaged people like you. Here it is: I don't care about the goon nonsense. That's you fighting with ghosts.

I care about getting great players in here and KEEPING them in here no matter if they're goons or choir boys. And your hero Corch Cumulonimbus has been a devout failure at that. Just check the list of all the flops he's had so far. Seems like a very large percentage of his first three classes are no longer here. Poor evaluation of character by your hero.

Advertisement
Back