Passing game breakdown. D'Eriq King

11th pass. 3rd and 15. King hits Brevin at the sticks in tight coverage. Dropped.

it wasn't dropped. it was tipped at the last minute and the ball's trajectory was thrown off, not really a drop by Jordan.

you make a great point, however, in your analysis . good work. thanks

Advertisement
King is gonna be fine. He hasn’t played in over a year and had no real offseason to get with the guys. Lashlee should have taken the start of the 2nd half and put in into the game from the opening kick. He’s gotta get into the game. He was never gonna hit those bombs early with everything that’s gone on
Exactly.

Keep taking the easy completions and let the guys build rhythm and confidence.

STICK WITH IT.

The defense will get tired of dying a slow death and start cheating and making mistakes.

THAT is when you start to burn them deep. When your guys are feeling themselves. After a while that confidence will be who they are ALL OF THE TIME and you will see those back breaking, game changing big plays in the first drive/quarter.

You have to be patient, though.

Exactly.

Keep taking the easy completions and let the guys build rhythm and confidence.

STICK WITH IT.

The defense will get tired of dying a slow death and start cheating and making mistakes.

THAT is when you start to burn them deep. When your guys are feeling themselves. After a while that confidence will be who they are ALL OF THE TIME and you will see those back breaking, game changing big plays in the first drive/quarter.

You have to be patient, though.

Im all about the ball never hitting the ground. That is when you can really wear down a defense and start gashing them.

King looks like the real deal. I have just 2 knocks on the guy from last night:

1. The overthrow to a wide open Payton in the end zone. He had no one around him for like 15 yards. You've got to make that throw at the Power 5 level. You don't need to thread the needle or lead the receiver. Just get the ball to the guy. I'd be ****ed if a high schooler missed that throw.

2. His height does have an effect on his play. There were a couple of plays where he had to run out of a decent pocket because he has to create his own passing lanes.

Hopefully #1 never happens again if another receiver is that open. Nothing he can do about #2, but his elusiveness definitely helps overcome the issue. I'm excited to see what else he does this season.

Advertisement
Wish I had access to All-22 footage. But this breakdown is very good. Thanks.

Listen man, he played well enough, and he's clearly a better overall QB than we've had in forever...but also missed some throws that bring up some concern for when we play some legit competition. The miss to Payton in the end zone is going to be seared into people's brains for a while. Missing Harley on the deep ball near the sideline is tough to swallow. Lets just see how it plays out.

You can be a fan and not hand out crowns before they are earned. Let King earn it.

Advertisement
It's way too early to judge King, but there was a lot I liked about last night. However, against better competition we can't average just 6.0 yards per pass attempt. That should be above 8 yards per attempt if we're going to be a threat. We had a few deep throws that just never connected, but that should get better with more games. In 2018, King had a tremendous average of 8.6 yards per pass, and put up 9.1 yards per pass attempt in 2017.
That's what I'm thinking as well. If we can't improve on that 6.0, it will dry up, along with our running game. I think it will, though.

Advertisement
Back