Passing game breakdown. D'Eriq King

Moonman

иди нахуй
1st pass. 1st and 10. Wiggins runs past defender. Defender grabs Wiggins. Ball sails overhead. UAB called for defensive holding. 10 yard penalty. 1st down.

2nd pass. 2nd and 6. Complete to Wiggins for 9. 1st down.

3rd pass. 2nd and 9. Complete to Harley for 13. 1st down.

4th pass. 2nd and 12. Screen complete to Harris. -2 yards.

5th pass. 3rd and 14. Payton runs to the 1st down marker and sticks his foot in the ground. Is open by two yards. King sails it thinking Payton was gonna take the deep option.

6th pass. 3rd and 6. Harley beats his man deep. Is butt naked open. King overthrows the ball.

7th pass. 1st and 10. Complete to Wiggins for 11 yards. 1st down.

8th pass. 1st and 10. Incomplete to Harley.

9th pass. 1st and 10. Screen pass complete to Wiggins for 5 yards. Bull**** penalty on Wiggins.

10th pass. 1st and 10. Incomplete to Harley down the sidelines in tight coverage.

11th pass. 3rd and 15. King hits Brevin at the sticks in tight coverage. Dropped.

12th pass. 1st and 10. Complete to Harley for 6 yards.

13th pass. 2nd and 4. Swing pass complete to Harris for 7 yards. 1st down.

14th pass. 1st and 10. Complete to Pope for 15. 1st down.

15th pass. 1st and 10. King under pressure. Throws it away.

16th pass. 3rd and 19. Swing pass complete to Harris for 2 yards.

End of 1st half.

17th pass. 1st and 10. Payton wide open in the end zone. King overthrows.

18th pass. 3rd and 11. Swing pass complete to Harris for 3 yards.

19th pass. 1st and 10. Complete to Harley for 8 yards.

20th pass. 2nd and 8. Complete to Brevin for 22 yards. 1st down.

21st pass. 2nd and goal. RPO. Incomplete to Harris under pressure.

22nd pass. 1st and 10. Complete to Brevin for 25. 1st down.

23rd pass. 1st and 10. Complete to Payton for 13. 1st down.

24th pass. 3rd and goal. Complete to Brevin for 4 yards. Touchdown.

25th pass. 1st and 10. Incomplete to Harris. Defensive pass interference. 1st down.

26th pass. Complete to Pope for 7 yards. Called back due to holding.

15 completions, TEN 1st downs including the two for interference/holding...and a touchdown. That's pretty ******* efficient if you ask me.

Advertisement
Two passes I felt were missed was when we sent Chaney in motion and he took two defenders with him, leaving Brevin is slot uncovered for a slant.. BIG play but while we manipulated the defense with motion first read was harley, incomplete..

Other was 3rd down we send Harley in motion, hike ball Pope has press coverage on him but harley gets a solid block and he has 2 lineman releasing to block for him open, its a double screen so on other side Harris is flaring out of backfield and King throws it to him, he makes something out of nothing but the numbers were there for Pope to score.

1st pass. 1st and 10. Wiggins runs past defender. Defender grabs Wiggins. Ball sails overhead. UAB called for defensive holding. 10 yard penalty. 1st down.

2nd pass. 2nd and 6. Complete to Wiggins for 9. 1st down.

3rd pass. 2nd and 9. Complete to Harley for 13. 1st down.

4th pass. 2nd and 12. Screen complete to Harris. -2 yards.

5th pass. 3rd and 14. Payton runs to the 1st down marker and sticks his foot in the ground. Is open by two yards. King sails it thinking Payton was gonna take the deep option.

6th pass. 3rd and 6. Harley beats his man deep. Is butt naked open. King overthrows the ball.

7th pass. 1st and 10. Complete to Wiggins for 11 yards. 1st down.

8th pass. 1st and 10. Incomplete to Harley.

9th pass. 1st and 10. Screen pass complete to Wiggins for 5 yards. Bull**** penalty on Wiggins.

10th pass. 1st and 10. Incomplete to Harley down the sidelines in tight coverage.

11th pass. 3rd and 15. King hits Brevin at the sticks in tight coverage. Dropped.

12th pass. 1st and 10. Complete to Harley for 6 yards.

13th pass. 2nd and 4. Swing pass complete to Harris for 7 yards. 1st down.

14th pass. 1st and 10. Complete to Pope for 15. 1st down.

15th pass. 1st and 10. King under pressure. Throws it away.

16th pass. 3rd and 19. Swing pass complete to Harris for 2 yards.

End of 1st half.

18th pass. 3rd and 11. Swing pass complete to Harris for 3 yards.

19th pass. 1st and 10. Complete to Harley for 8 yards.

20th pass. 2nd and 8. Complete to Brevin for 22 yards. 1st down.

21st pass. 2nd and goal. RPO. Incomplete to Harris under pressure.

22nd pass. 1st and 10. Complete to Brevin for 25. 1st down.

23rd pass. 1st and 10. Complete to Payton for 13. 1st down.

24th pass. 3rd and goal. Complete to Brevin for 4 yards. Touchdown.

25th pass. 1st and 10. Incomplete to Harris. Defensive pass interference. 1st down.

26th pass. Complete to Pope for 7 yards. Called back due to holding.

15 completions, TEN 1st downs including the two for interference/holding...and a touchdown. That's pretty ******* efficient if you ask me.
ESPN said 16/24 …

Advertisement
Two passes I felt were missed was when we sent Chaney in motion and he took two defenders with him, leaving Brevin is slot uncovered for a slant.. BIG play but while we manipulated the defense with motion first read was harley, incomplete..

Other was 3rd down we send Harley in motion, hike ball Pope has press coverage on him but harley gets a solid block and he has 2 lineman releasing to block for him open, its a double screen so on other side Harris is flaring out of backfield and King throws it to him, he makes something out of nothing but the numbers were there for Pope to score.
These two and a few others is what I was talking about with him missing on some opportunities.
There were a few others in which folks were open and he took off running.

There was one pass to Harley on a crossing route that if he releases it a second earlier, Harley runs for another 10-15 yards instead of the 6 yards he got on on pass.

The passing game will improve especially with the tight ends. Seems like Mallory was there as a decoy and blocking (he sprung the Cam 66yd TD run).

These three are exactly the kind of misses I don't expect to see in a few weeks. It was miscommunication and lack of time together.

IMO, this breakdown shows a few things.

#1. It disproves the idea that the WRs were not getting open.

I counted 27 total passing downs. With TEN 1st downs and a TD. That's 44% resulting in success. King threw the ball away twice and checked down to Cam on three occasions. So that's 5 out of 27 where you might argue nobody was open, but that's hard to say because it's also possible that King just missed a read. Also, not to be over critical of King, because he was outstanding for the majority of the game...but he did sail three for sure completions on money plays. Payton should have had close to 40 yards and a touchdown. The bottom line is that our receivers picked up 1st downs and didn't drop any passes. The only drop of the night was by Jordan and he made up for it with a big 2nd half.

#2. King has next level pocket presence and awareness. He made very few if any bad decisions with the football. Every pass besides the four he airmailed was crisp, on time and nearly every one either resulted in a 1st down or a positive play leading to a 1st down. Also, he scrambled at opportune times, picking up 1st downs and a TD, and checked down or threw the ball away rather than make a bad play when under pressure...which is something no other QB dating all the way back to Dorsey has done.

The bottom line is that I feel that if you're not psyched by last night's performance it could be that you are an emotional rather than rational thinker.

Advertisement
These three are exactly the kind of misses I don't expect to see in a few weeks. It was miscommunication and lack of time together.
Exactly. King made several game changing plays with his feet last night. It proves that he's a playmaker. Either of those three passes would have resulted in a game changing play had he been on point. By midseason I'm willing to bet we can just count on King making at least 5 or more huge plays a game both through the air and on the ground. I mean the kind of plays that demoralize the opponent. If last night was King when he's rusty...hold on to your butts boys! It's gonna be ******* season to remember.

Just to put a final point on this, I decided to take a look at Joe Burrow vs OU...one of the most if not THE most dominant performance by a QB in college football history.

His official stat line for that game was 29-39 for 493 yards and 7 TDs. Ridiculous!

Of those 39 passes, 21 went for either a 1st down or a TD. That's a ratio of 53%, or just over 5 out of 10 passes.

D'Eriq King's ratio last night was 43%, or just over 4 out of 10.

Greatest performance of all time vs a QB who was playing in a live game for the first time in almost a full calendar year with less than 20 practices to develop cohesion with with his new team and coordinator.

Understand why this bodes extremely well?

Advertisement
King is gonna be fine. He hasn’t played in over a year and had no real offseason to get with the guys. Lashlee should have taken the start of the 2nd half and put in into the game from the opening kick. He’s gotta get into the game. He was never gonna hit those bombs early with everything that’s gone on

**** it, go with what works. If were killing it in the run game, keep doing that **** til someone can stop it

Just to put a final point on this, I decided to take a look at Joe Burrow vs OU...one of the most if not THE most dominant performance by a QB in college football history.

His official stat line for that game was 29-39 for 493 yards and 7 TDs. Ridiculous!

Of those 39 passes, 21 went for either a 1st down or a TD. That's a ratio of 53%, or just over 5 out of 10 passes.

D'Eriq King's ratio last night was 43%, or just over 4 out of 10.

Greatest performance of all time vs a QB who was playing in a live game for the first time in almost a full calendar year with less than 20 practices to develop cohesion with with his new team and coordinator.

Understand why this bodes extremely well?
Are you “hinting” at what I thinking you are hinting at. That we may be able to see something that most of us have been dying to see in I don’t know how long, that we might actually improve as the year goes on!!!!!! If it doesn’t happen you are gonna catch ****, I don’t like people toying with my emotions.

Advertisement
Are you “hinting” at what I thinking you are hinting at. That we may be able to see something that most of us have been dying to see in I don’t know how long, that we might actually improve as the year goes on!!!!!! If it doesn’t happen you are gonna catch ****, I don’t like people toying with my emotions.
Just remember, only we improve, defenses we play don’t.

None of those kids were gonna push themselves in Penos' system.
Can I just say I love your avatar and I don’t know why 🤷🏼‍♂️. Slightly blurry and can only see one eye but just has this feel of “don’t mess with me, I’m a bad mf’er” love it 😂

1st game, if this is the floor, we've got something. I honestly think this could be among the more mediocre (by his level) games he will play as a Hurricane.

It's way too early to judge King, but there was a lot I liked about last night. However, against better competition we can't average just 6.0 yards per pass attempt. That should be above 8 yards per attempt if we're going to be a threat. We had a few deep throws that just never connected, but that should get better with more games. In 2018, King had a tremendous average of 8.6 yards per pass, and put up 9.1 yards per pass attempt in 2017.

Advertisement
Back