Pass Rush vs ND

sstcane

Sophomore
Premium
If we can get them behind the line early and force some 3rd and longs, I'm praying to see Joe Jackson and Jon Garvin outside with CT9 and RJ rushing up the middle. It sucks that DJax is hurt, but I think Garvin is going to be special. Watch what Lorenzo Carter from Georgia did against their All world LT. Garvin and Jackson have that kind of skill. I hope you we unleash a pass rush that they've bev r seen before. Also I'm interested in seeing RJ vs their LG Nelson.

Advertisement
Depending where they are on the field, near 50 or better.. if it's 3rd n long be very aware of the run. Kelly has said it time and again and done so on the field that he likes 4th down.. meaning he will call his 3rd down play already knowing he is goin for it on 4th.

They will run the ball to cut 3rd n long in half with qb or draw.. they are true run team and with weapons they have it has worked out for them. You know the coaches are fully aware of this because even richt knows all about wimbush.

Most games richt hardly pays attention to other teams offense because his hands are full. They want this game BAD.

Going to be a lot of stunting from the d-line this game. Goal will be to close off running lanes for QB draws and contain Wimbush in the pocket. They will get there but this game for the front four will be more contain

Don’t know if we’ll get to pass rush much with effectiveness unless they’re consistently in 3rd and longs or they are trailing. They won’t throw much and when they do, it will be off play action or max protext

Advertisement
Going to be a lot of stunting from the d-line this game. Goal will be to close off running lanes for QB draws and contain Wimbush in the pocket. They will get there but this game for the front four will be more contain

Not a huge fan of line stunts vs heavy run teams can leave huge running lanes.

we have to stay disciplined in our rush because their qb can break contain and hurt you with his legs. I watched some of the Ga game and noticed they were content keeping him in the pocket and forcing him to make reads and plays with his arm . They did send occasional pressure and mixed it up on him but it wasn't just send the house on him. I was not that impressed with his throwing ability. He is like a quicker and more athletic Josh Jackson.

The only thing I’m worried about is they’ll use our aggression against us and throw screens. Other than that they’re not as good pass blocking as they are run blocking. McGlinchy and Nelson are both better run blockers than they are pass blockers and are absolutely beatable when dropping back to pass. Hopefully we’ll get into enough 3rd and distance situations where they can’t throw dump passes for first downs...

Advertisement

we have to stay disciplined in our rush because their qb can break contain and hurt you with his legs. I watched some of the Ga game and noticed they were content keeping him in the pocket and forcing him to make reads and plays with his arm . They did send occasional pressure and mixed it up on him but it wasn't just send the house on him. I was not that impressed with his throwing ability. He is like a quicker and more athletic Josh Jackson.

Salt, buddy, old pal let's rethink that last sentence for a second there, There's no way in **** I'm going to agree with that statement simply because UGA actually blitzed more than just here and there, basically every other play was a blitz that either rushed Wimbush or force him to buy more time with his feet and try to make something happen. Jackson is simply much faster but there is a reason why he looked slower to you and that's due credit to our defense, he was under constant pressure on the sides whenever he snapped the ball, and when he tried to climb the pocket he would get hit in the mouth by Norton or a LBer hence why his whole uni was green by end of the 2nd QTR.

The only thing I’m worried about is they’ll use our aggression against us and throw screens. Other than that they’re not as good pass blocking as they are run blocking. McGlinchy and Nelson are both better run blockers than they are pass blockers and are absolutely beatable when dropping back to pass. Hopefully we’ll get into enough 3rd and distance situations where they can’t throw dump passes for first downs...

ND likes to max protect on play action. Wimbush is used to having a pretty clean pocket. I don’t know that JJ will have a huge edge but the guy to watch for is Thomas. He should be able to take on his guy and beat him.

That said, my worry is seeing how JJ and garvin hold up against the run. DJax excelled at run support - big loss imo.

Salt, buddy, old pal let's rethink that last sentence for a second there, There's no way in **** I'm going to agree with that statement simply because UGA actually blitzed more than just here and there, basically every other play was a blitz that either rushed Wimbush or force him to buy more time with his feet and try to make something happen. Jackson is simply much faster but there is a reason why he looked slower to you and that's due credit to our defense, he was under constant pressure on the sides whenever he snapped the ball, and when he tried to climb the pocket he would get hit in the mouth by Norton or a LBer hence why his whole uni was green by end of the 2nd QTR.

^This right here! UGA set the blueprint to beat them and if they would’ve had a more experienced QB it would’ve been a blowout. The ND team struggled vs. a well rounded, talented front seven that had players at every level and forced the ND WR core to beat the UGA CB core...and we are more talented than UGA in both of these aspects.

ND likes to max protect on play action. Wimbush is used to having a pretty clean pocket. I don’t know that JJ will have a huge edge but the guy to watch for is Thomas. He should be able to take on his guy and beat him.

That said, my worry is seeing how JJ and garvin hold up against the run. DJax excelled at run support - big loss imo.

That’s why I would play chad and Trent on run downs and give them a 4-3 under look which would switch the roles and turn the SSDE position into the weak side DE position and I got negged for for it because no one knew what I was saying. Their max protect is stil susceptible to stunts and delays though...and RJ/Chad should absolutely destroy that right side

Advertisement

I admit I did not watch the whole game and what perhaps were some later adjustments; but one thing that stood out to me at first is that Winbush had some time in the pocket on the plays I noticed. What they seem to do is keep him corralled and turn him into a pocket passer which is not a comfortable thing for him (at least that was what it looked like). Whether intentional or not I don't know.They did get to him in the 2nd qt as they started to send different guys. Regardless it was effective. I also noticed Ga runs a 3-4 base defense so were able to send different guys and disguise who they were sending as backers would line up and drop back at various times. I did not sit there an do a break down like vision does. Just my layman's perspective.

Jackson is not faster than Wimbush. You are way off on that, trust me. Wimbush is much faster and a much better runner than Jackson.

Advertisement
Once we plug that running game and put them behind the sticks on 3rd downs we have them. Pressure in that backfield is going to dictate this game. Obviously our offense has to make the best of every possession but if they muster points and time of possession and our D plays to potential then it’s a wrap. I have a really good feeling about this game. I can’t wait for Saturday already. The best part is that I get married on Sunday and my chick is begging me that I can stand the next day.

Just hit the QB on every play. Chances are he will be trying to run it. Passing or running, meet me at the QB, still applies.

Jackson is not faster than Wimbush. You are way off on that, trust me. Wimbush is much faster and a much better runner than Jackson.

I don't trust you or your judgement and you're definitely wrong. Go watch tapes and do comparison, The only difference here is that ND's OL is way better than VT and that's maybe why you think Wimbush is faster... again he is not.

I don't trust you or your judgement and you're definitely wrong. Go watch tapes and do comparison, The only difference here is that ND's OL is way better than VT and that's maybe why you think Wimbush is faster... again he is not.

again watching the Ga game there was a red zone play that Winbush ran wide on an rpo and was perfectly defended. He simply beat the cornerback who had him the entire time to the pylon for a score. That is all that I needed to find out about his foot speed.

Advertisement
Back